Fiberglass daycare - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2019, 09:20 PM   #1

Name: Brandon and Wendy
Trailer: Casita
Oklahoma
Fiberglass daycare

So, what do you do with your FB when you need to park it for a few hours?

We're going through Colorado Springs on friday on our way to the Memorial Ruck March in Castle Rock. We need to stop in Old Colorado City at the army surplus store to pick up some uniform pieces for our Civil Air Patrol cadets. Also, run to a couple other stores in Manitou Springs.
I would rather not have to tow our FB through those towns, especially with all the tourists.
So, what do you do with your FB is similar situations?

Brandon
SMSample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:35 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
pretty much only place I leave my trailer is in a campground that I'm staying at several nights and using as a base for explorations. if I'm stopping in a town and traveling on, I'll pull the trailer right with me, sure it makes parking a bit more tricky (my F250 longbed + E21 is about 42 feet long overall) but I have always managed so far.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 04:53 AM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Have to agree with John. If I'm towing I've always been able to find a place that's long enough to park although you may have to walk a bit.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:35 AM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
+10 Find a big parking lot, large grocery store, Walmart or whatever, and enjoy the walk.

Or hit the campground first, spend a few days, and then tour the area via your TV.

A disconnected trailer in a parking lot screams steal me.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:44 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I’m wondering what kind of rig the OP has. Profile says “currently shopping.” I’ve taken my Pilot+Scamp 13 into some congested areas, but if I had a crew cab pickup with a 25’ Bigfoot, I’d think twice. And I’d never take a trailer into a downtown urban core expecting to find RV parking.

You could call the businesses and ask about RV parking within walking distance.

You could also contact RV repair shops in town and ask about dropping your trailer off for a few hours. Big ones like Camping World are your best bet.

The city website might have information about public RV parking and access to public transportation. If not, call the tourism department.

Camping nearby and making day excursions into urban areas is the best, of course.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:11 AM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I’m wondering what kind of rig the OP has.
'99 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe named Cas
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post717899

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:34 AM   #7

Trailer: Hymer
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
+10 Find a big parking lot, large grocery store, Walmart or whatever, and enjoy the walk.
Or Uber.

I've also found that a lot of fast food and outlet mall parking lots close to the the interstates have pull-thru spaces or room at the back for 40 footers.
OCJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:38 AM   #8

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
As convenient as it would be to disconnect, I agree with everyone else. I only disconnect at camp, even if that camp is a BLM or Forest Service dispersed, free-for-all area. Doesn't need to be a developed campground. But I don't leave my trailer in a Walmart parking lot (though that's possibly your better option) or anywhere else. It definitely becomes a target.

I'll also admit that I get annoyed at all the campers taking up 6 parking spots for hours at a time...but that's another topic.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:50 AM   #9

Mid Left Coast
I try to just take 4 spaces, 2x2.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:44 PM   #10

Name: Brandon and Wendy
Trailer: Casita
Oklahoma
Thank you, everyone, for your replies.

I've updated my profile, forgot to do that after buying Cas.

We're not staying in a campground, or I'd unhook there. I wouldn't think about just leaving it in a parking lot. I was thinking more along the lines of a business that offers this, like a Camping World or such. We have a "son" in Colorado Springs, but taking the camper on base would be a pain.

I drove a bus for DOC, so long lengths don't bother me so much. Just thinking about being courteous concerning parking spots. Sounds like finding a shopping center nearby would be best.
SMSample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 12:07 AM   #11

Mid Left Coast
re visiting a military base, i'd consider asking the base if they have somewhere suitable you could drop the trailer for a couple hours where it would be reasonably secure.

I've got close to the worst case fiberglass rig, a 20' long F250 longbed extended cab, and a 21 foot escape, its 41-42 feet overall, and the truck has a 62 foot turning circle curb-to-curb (not wall-to-wall). If I can find a 2x2 diagonal parking space in the outer reaches of a supermarket parking lot, I'm usually good to go. sure, I stick out a bit at both ends but by taking 2x2, I'm ensured sufficient clearance to exit. I parked in a single-wide drive-through 2x space once, and found it really tricky to get out without the trailer clipping the cars that parked next to me, so now I try and take 4 spaces so that doesn't happen. I do this as far out in the lot as I can, so hopefully noone gets perturbed.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:55 PM   #12

Name: Alex
Trailer: 1999 Casita 16' "Snufkin"
California
Just curious, would you guys leave your trailer parked in front of your house on a reasonably quiet residential street (unhooked from the TV)?
I've been doing this for a while now, I have a Reese lock on the tow hook, and I thought I should be fine, but this post got me thinking...
Alex in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 01:01 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You might check your bylaws too. In our district, leaving a trailer on the street without tow vehicle attached will get you parking tickets.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:19 PM   #14

Mid Left Coast
around here, if you move it every 2-3 days, you should be OK.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:30 PM   #15

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I’d be afraid one of the terrible drivers around here would hit it. And of course many of them have no insurance. The town I live in would likely tag it and eventually tow it. They are pretty patient but eventually it would have to go.

I have friends living in a neighborhood where not only can you NOT park on the street, you can’t park overnight in your own driveway! God bless HOAs...
Old 05-22-2019, 03:39 PM   #16

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
I have friends living in a neighborhood where not only can you NOT park on the street, you can’t park overnight in your own driveway! God bless HOAs...
I don't think I'd use the word 'bless' there... one of those other things "God" supposedly does seems more appropriate.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:19 PM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
There is a FamCamp on the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, which means you should be able to get your RV there pretty easily. I would have no problems leaving a travel trailer on a base while I ran into town.
JonRaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:50 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
I’d be afraid one of the terrible drivers around here would hit it. And of course many of them have no insurance.

I don't get this. In BC you have a tag on your plate. You get the tag when you buy the basic required insurance. Police can easily spot drivers without insurance because the tag won't be up to date. Drive without insurance, you'll get a license suspension and a hefty fine.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:37 AM   #19

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
And in MB they did away with plate stickers. Now police just have to plug in plate on their computer and they know if registered and insured. With our government insurance you buy registration and insurance together.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:10 AM   #20

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
better one....

this is in BC....a friend of mine was driving down a road one day...went by a cop car going to other way..... sees the cop tuning around in his rearview mirror.....lights come on, he pulls over....
Good looking lady cop (he says) comes up to his window and says: "Hi, are you Mr "Smith"....Yes, M'am I am he says...to which she replies: Your driver's license is expired!...(big fine).....Imagine that....she had a plate recognition camera/software in her car that read front plates, identified the registered owner and cross checked owner's driver license status...!!!! He couldn't believe it...and it did cost him several hundred dollars.....Ain't technology great???
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote