Finally got the Scamp out for a trip - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-27-2007, 12:57 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
After taking a trip in our car to Tucson, AZ to see our daughter & son-in-law and over to LaVerne, CA to see my wife's mom with a side trip up to Thousand Oaks to see one of her sisters then back to Tucson before going back home which took about 3 weeks, we got the Egg loaded and off to see our granddaughter (and her mom and dad, too). The gas has gone down some by waiting a month or so before going. We had a nice 3 day trip getting here, but did not see one egg on the way. Normally, we take I-25 up into WY but this time we decided on cutting up to US Hwy 83 connecting with it in Liberal, KS by taking US 54 @ Alamogrodo, NM to Liberal. We spend the night at Wal-Mart in Liberal, but would perhaps drive a fews miles (maybe 10) north on 83 to a very nice and peaceful rest area next time. The second night we stopped at Smith Falls State Park in NEbraska 19 miles out of Valintine, NE. Very peaceful there. But had to do 4 miles on a moderately rough gravel road. Had some picking up after the going in, none going out. Plans are for a 4 day camping trip up to a ND State Park right on the Canadian boarder this week-end. Can't spell it so I'll not name it.

The Ford Ranger is doing well again towing, about 15 mpg first two day, and 18 plus twice on the 3 day with some good tail winds from NE to ND with part of this done on the second day as well.

The photo is from Corna Area in NM, were we had stopped for lunch on US 54 maybe 150 miles from Cruces on Saturday, June 23. We enjoyed the trip more not taking the interstates.

We crused at about 58 to 68 mph, mainly in the 60 mph range depending on the roads and wind conditions.

US 83 was very nice to travel on, as is US 53.
Attached Thumbnails
Crona_Area_NM.jpg  
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
The Ford Ranger is doing well again towing, about 15 mpg first two day, and 18 plus twice on the 3 day with some good tail winds from NE to ND with part of this done on the second day as well.

The photo is from Corna Area in NM, were we had stopped for lunch on US 54 maybe 150 miles from Cruces on Saturday, June 23. We enjoyed the trip more not taking the interstates.

We crused at about 58 to 68 mph, mainly in the 60 mph range depending on the roads and wind conditions.

US 83 was very nice to travel on, as is US 53.
Thats great that you get great gas milage. I'm curious I have a 06 Ranger Edge just like yours. Mine has the 3L engine, but is extremely lacking in power. I have tried towing my Scamp 13 with the Ranger, but it just does not quite feel safe. BTW between Tucson and Las Crucess, I usually can only average 11-12mpg. That milage does not matter I get that with both the Ranger and the Envoy towing the Scamp
dsheets70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:20 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Sounds like you're having a nice time....wish I was on the road right now...traveling OFF the freeways is the ONLY way to go....when I hit the road that's what I do....
william russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:27 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
After taking a trip in our car to Tucson, AZ to see our daughter & son-in-law and over to LaVerne, CA to see my wife's mom with a side trip up to Thousand Oaks to see one of her sisters then back to Tucson before going back home which took about 3 weeks, we got the Egg loaded and off to see our granddaughter (and her mom and dad, too). The gas has gone down some by waiting a month or so before going. We had a nice 3 day trip getting here, but did not see one egg on the way. Normally, we take I-25 up into WY but this time we decided on cutting up to US Hwy 83 connecting with it in Liberal, KS by taking US 54 @ Alamogrodo, NM to Liberal. We spend the night at Wal-Mart in Liberal, but would perhaps drive a fews miles (maybe 10) north on 83 to a very nice and peaceful rest area next time. The second night we stopped at Smith Falls State Park in NEbraska 19 miles out of Valintine, NE. Very peaceful there. But had to do 4 miles on a moderately rough gravel road. Had some picking up after the going in, none going out. Plans are for a 4 day camping trip up to a ND State Park right on the Canadian boarder this week-end. Can't spell it so I'll not name it.

US 83 was very nice to travel on, as is US 54.
We are still in ND, having a blastd with our granddaughter and our son and daughter in law. We spend a 3 day weekend at Lake Metigoshe State Park. Nice weather, nice area. A little dusty getting into the area, they have the road into it torn up with just gravel.

We have gotten some 11 and 12 mpg at time, depending on how many hills and what the wind is doing. We also have the 3L but have not found it lacking in power. We have just put on a size larger tires for towing and still not too bad on the power.
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp