Finding a spot! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2012, 09:55 PM   #1

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
Finding a spot!

I've spent the last three hours trying to find a campgrounds for my 13 ft burro in either the California central valley somewhere around fresno or stockton or along the coast near San Luis Obisbo. I'm using reserve America. I need toilet and shower and would like an electrical hook up. I'm also traveling with a medium sized dog. Im looking for Monday night June 4th and have found "0". There are some tent sites I spotted, but nothing that fits us. I am a newby. This is our first trip with our trailer and I know I left it late, but shouldn't there be something? Any suggestions?
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:10 PM   #2

Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
If you are close to a Camping World, they have the Good Sam & Woodall's camping directories. I have found them very helpful while on the road or planning out a trip.
RRIZZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #3

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
There is an RV park in Fresno on N. Blackstone but I can't remember the name of it. It's not bad. It used to be awful but is under new management and has had upgrades. I've had a couple of friends stay there with no complaints. Trees and shade, though this time of year no shade is enough.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:48 PM   #4

Washington
Registry
Thanks guys. Would you expect availability - at someplace like the Fresno one?
Old 06-02-2012, 10:56 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue and Henry View Post
...somewhere around ... stockton ...
Any suggestions?
Dos Reis Regional Parks | San Joaquin County Parks & Recreation

I have never made reservations here, yet I have never been turned away for a single night's stay.
I stay here during every trip I take to Oregon.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:51 PM   #6

Washington
Registry
Thanks Frederick, I'm going to go up 99 and aim for that one.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:46 PM   #7

Washington
Registry
Frederick your spot is nice. It is almost empty and very quiet. Wish the trip up was as successful. We ended up duct taping the door shut halfway here. Our delayed door work maybe should have been done prior to the first big trip instead of after.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1763874875.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	272.9 KB
ID:	47434

Name:	image-413914704.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	47435

Name:	image-467215698.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	376.8 KB
ID:	47437

Thank goodness for duct tape. All we lost was the door curtain rod. Our pup Henry had to take a pit stop or the rest probably would have followed out the door. How do you keep stuff from shifting all over the place?
Old 06-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #8

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe
Registry
I seldom make reservations for a spot in an RV Park. Generally I will start looking for a spot between 2 and 3 PM and generally I'll find a nice place with no trouble. This works better on week days.

If I find myself still out later in the evening, I'll look for a Walmart or a rest area.

My Scamp does have a shower and a flush toilet so I can be comfortable without external services.
RonMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:30 PM   #9

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRIZZO View Post
If you are close to a Camping World, they have the Good Sam & Woodall's camping directories. I have found them very helpful while on the road or planning out a trip.
You might also find that at Barnes and Noble. Our local store here has them.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:44 PM   #10

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Woodalls.com
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #11

Name: Brooke
Trailer: U Haul CT13
California
One problem may be that you are requesting a date that is too close. June 2nd requesting a June 4th date - <2 days will always give you zero availability. It is too close a date to reserve.

Your best chance when you want a place so quickly is to just show up. There is almost always space.
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:13 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I've never had any problems finding a spot to sleep. Very little in finding a camping spot. If it's getting late in the evening I'll drive for a while. Then have my copilot start trying to find a rest area or truck stop or Wal-Mart. We usually don't stay in campgrounds for a single night. Also we don't stay in RV parks.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:51 AM   #13

Washington
Registry
Thanks! You are all right. We really have had no problem so far and have found nice, quiet and cozy places to stay. If the little burro hold together, this will be the best summer trip ever!
Old 06-07-2012, 10:59 AM   #14

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Your best chance when you want a place so quickly is to just show up. There is almost always space.
Have gotten some of the nicest spots in state or county parks by doing that. Some of them have what they call "over flow" spots that turn out to be one of the nicest spots in the park.... others have set aside Handicap sites that if not taken by such and such a time (usually about 4pm) they will let you use.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #15

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Rest area has a bathroom but they tend to be out of town and sort of isolated. I tend to think truck stop or big box store parking lot are safer place for a little rest. And typically my morning coffee and breakfast are close at hand if I'm not making my own.

Other side of the country but most of the Mi. state parks with facilities have a rustic park associated with them in the area. They use that for overflow, much less people and noise as a rule.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:33 PM   #16

Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
This discussion has brought alot of good ideas and shows how and why we all like to RV. There are places for everyone. You can spend $$$$ at wazoo RV parks or go no $$$ and thank the Walton family for their hospitality.
RRIZZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #17

Washington
Registry
All the ideas and information has been great. Thank you all! My little 13 foot burro has no toilet. I think a little portable is my next addition. It will certainly make those middle of the night nature calls more convenient.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:52 PM   #18

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Check the county fairgrounds. Many keep open for camping and have restrooms and showers. They will charge a fee, but it usually isn't much if you aren't needing hookups.

Fairgrounds are usually closed to campers during the county fairs and other big events. They need the spaces for the exhibitors to camp.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote