First Camping for Kids in Casita - Point Mugu - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-17-2018, 04:27 PM   #1

Name: Alex
Trailer: 1999 Casita 16' "Snufkin"
California
First Camping for Kids in Casita - Point Mugu

Hello everyone,

It only took a summer and a half for us to get to camp for the 1st time, but we did it! First and most important goal accomplished: Kids loved it and we had a great time! We went to Point Mugu State Campground - Sycamore and it was great. Our spot was #48, which is the 2nd loop of this campground. Note for the future: Try to get a spot on the 1st loop as it is more 'woodsy" and "campy", as the 2nd loop is more of a parking lot with many "double" sites. However, we could hear the waves at night, during the day we saw rabbits and squirrels and a curious forest mouse, and then bats in twilight.
On the day of checkout, we moved our Casita to the day parking lot across the PCH (free if you camped the night before) and spent the whole day on the beach, running from the waves and catching sand crabs. We also saw a lonely sea lion, who was so close and unexpected that we first thought it was someone's dog swimming.
Our next trip is to the neighboring campground Leo Carillo in 2 weeks.
Alex in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:49 PM   #2

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Hi Alex...sounds like a wonderful trip and one full of memories. I remember our boys when we took them camping as kids---they found joy and wonder in the simplest things. Location matters more to parents than kids, I found. The sound of waves at night would make even a parking lot a piece of heaven. Thanks for sharing.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:58 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Are you planning to attend the lake Casitas rally next month?
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:13 PM   #4

Name: Evelyn
Oregon Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex in LA View Post
Hello everyone,

It only took a summer and a half for us to get to camp for the 1st time, but we did it! First and most important goal accomplished: Kids loved it and we had a great time!

That first trip can determine how you feel about camping for the rest of your life. Such a sweet story, so glad your family had such a positive experience. The first of many more!

(My family started camping when my little sister was 3 mos. old; she'll be 63 in October, and we're still camping.)
Ev in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:47 PM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Congrats Alex, I'm sure your kids loved it and can't wait for the next one. Have to agree with Theresa, kids don't care where you go, it's all an adventure to them. My first daughter was a year old and the second was only a few months old when they "started" camping....like they had a choice . Must have had good memories of the beach, mountains and desert cuz there're camping on their own now. You may have started the next camping generation .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:57 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
And, here's the proof.
Attached Thumbnails
Lucca camp.jpg  
Old 09-18-2018, 10:29 AM   #7

Name: Gayle
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Illinois
We’re finishing our first year with our 17’ Casita Spirit Deluxe and want to get the grandkids out with us. I’d like ideas on where to sleep the kids. They are 3 & 8 years old. Our thought is to have the older one sleep on the bed made from the side eating area. Then we’d put the 3 year old partly in the cubby under the double bed. Does this work? Please share your experiences & what works for a few nights camping.
GayleBooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 01:32 PM   #8

California
Hi Steve, I wasn't aware of the rally. Which weekend is it?
Old 09-19-2018, 01:37 PM   #9

California
Thanks for responding

Hello everyone,

Thanks for responding in such encouraging way. Yes, we would love for kids to get into camping or at least into outdoors. I feel so bad for all the "techno" kids who just sit in front of their iPads all the time and miss the real world.
We'll keep reporting and if anyone happens to go in the same area as we, please let us know!
Our next scheduled trips are Leo Carillo on Oct 6th weekend and Bolsa Chica on November 4th (unless it gets super cold, yeah right )
Old 09-20-2018, 07:41 PM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
The weekend before halloween.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tas-84081.html
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:49 PM   #11

Name: Maryellen
Trailer: 2015 Casita SD
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleBooth View Post
We’re finishing our first year with our 17’ Casita Spirit Deluxe and want to get the grandkids out with us. I’d like ideas on where to sleep the kids. They are 3 & 8 years old. Our thought is to have the older one sleep on the bed made from the side eating area. Then we’d put the 3 year old partly in the cubby under the double bed. Does this work? Please share your experiences & what works for a few nights camping.
Hey Gayle. That is exactly what we do with our 9 and 5 year old grandkids. Works great!
Maryellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:36 PM   #12

California
We already got plans for this weekend otherwise we totally would have. Thanks for letting me know.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:36 AM   #13

Name: t
Trailer: Phoenix
California
Congrats on the successful trip!
Are you interested in suggestions for other local locations?
Old 09-26-2018, 10:52 AM   #14

Name: Gayle
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Illinois
Thanks. We’re looking forward to exploring the out of doors with our grandkids from our Casita.
GayleBooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:46 PM   #15

California
Suggestions on local locations

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntsqd View Post
Congrats on the successful trip!
Are you interested in suggestions for other local locations?
Yes, please. Trying to stay local for this season, will start venturing further up North come spring. Also, want to visit Joshua Tree in spring. Currently reading up Moon's guide to West Coast RVing but Any advice appreciated, especially if based on personal experience.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:47 AM   #16

California
Pass on Wheeler Springs Campground (CA33 near Ojai) if is it warm to hot. The bugs will be vicious and beyond persistent. That is probably true of most of the CA coastal mountains. Out of bug season it can be an enchanting place. Nice little creek runs right thru the campground. It can be full all week during peak camping season.

McGill Campground west of Frazier Park is fairly high in elevation and good for summer trips. Haven't been there during bug season, but they being unpleasant wouldn't surprise me. An unusual consideration is the mountain bike trail that cuts thru the campground. Choose your site with this in mind.

Carrizo Plain has two designated campgrounds, KCL and Selby. KCL is the only one worth trying for. Selby is literally a gravel parking lot on the side of a hill. Not a summer destination with kids. Will be hot and miserable. The southern entrance off CA166 is dirt and varying wash-board for most of its length. The route in from the East over Hurricane Ridge will test your brakes severely between the ridgeline (stunning view!!) and the floor of the plain. Choose this route with care, I wouldn't tow a travel trailer of any size over it.

Emma Wood Parkway is literally on the side of Hwy 1, and on the opposite side from the RR tracks. That said, the other side of the camp spots is immediately rip-rap & beach. The more northern end has wider sites than the southern ~70% of the sites.

Note that there are also two sections of Emma Wood State Beach. The section closest to Ventura is tent camping only. The section further north is for RV's and is actually on the original coast route pavement. Surfer's call this small coastal point "Overhead" because of the Hwy1 bridge over the RR tracks. When there is a good break happening they can be quite numerous. Adjacent to the beach near the tent camping area are the remains of two WWII coastal battery's. The central pivot and a circular concrete ring with a circular rail is all that is left of these gun emplacements. Last I was there one of them had mostly succumbed to the ocean.

There are two Ventura County Parks with overnight stay along the Rincon. Faria Beach Park and Hobson. Both have snack bars of some sort. They're popular and I'm not up on what it takes to get into them. They are a little more removed from the hwy. This section of Hwy 1 doesn't see the kind of traffic that the Malibu section does, not with 101 just a little further over, but it's not traffic-free either.

Calico Ghost Town campground (San Bern. County Park) has showers in the upper loops, don't know about the lower, OHV area. Spring and Fall are the best times of the year, but I've experienced pleasant if cool weather there in January. I've also experienced brutal cold and on a different trip almost brutal hot there in mid April. Can easily hike into some interesting canyons from the Eastern Upper loop. The park rangers will keep you from entering Wall St. canyon at the upper end of the Ghost Town's lower parking lot because of flash flood concerns, but the canyon is very pretty. Depending on the route it could be a longish hike to see it from the top of the Falls, but very worthwhile.

As an aside, if the budget allows and there's room for it might look up the "Clam" bug shelters on Amazon. We carry a 4 sided version with the added sidewalls for a shower room and a friend with 'tweener' kids uses a 6 sided version with sidewalls as their sole tent on rough Off-highway trips.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:54 PM   #17

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntsqd View Post
Pass on Wheeler Springs Campground (CA33 near Ojai) if is it warm to hot. The bugs will be vicious and beyond persistent. That is probably true of most of the CA coastal mountains. Out of bug season it can be an enchanting place. Nice little creek runs right thru the campground. It can be full all week during peak camping season.

McGill Campground west of Frazier Park is fairly high in elevation and good for summer trips. Haven't been there during bug season, but they being unpleasant wouldn't surprise me. An unusual consideration is the mountain bike trail that cuts thru the campground. Choose your site with this in mind.

Carrizo Plain has two designated campgrounds, KCL and Selby. KCL is the only one worth trying for. Selby is literally a gravel parking lot on the side of a hill. Not a summer destination with kids. Will be hot and miserable. The southern entrance off CA166 is dirt and varying wash-board for most of its length. The route in from the East over Hurricane Ridge will test your brakes severely between the ridgeline (stunning view!!) and the floor of the plain. Choose this route with care, I wouldn't tow a travel trailer of any size over it.

Emma Wood Parkway is literally on the side of Hwy 1, and on the opposite side from the RR tracks. That said, the other side of the camp spots is immediately rip-rap & beach. The more northern end has wider sites than the southern ~70% of the sites.

Note that there are also two sections of Emma Wood State Beach. The section closest to Ventura is tent camping only. The section further north is for RV's and is actually on the original coast route pavement. Surfer's call this small coastal point "Overhead" because of the Hwy1 bridge over the RR tracks. When there is a good break happening they can be quite numerous. Adjacent to the beach near the tent camping area are the remains of two WWII coastal battery's. The central pivot and a circular concrete ring with a circular rail is all that is left of these gun emplacements. Last I was there one of them had mostly succumbed to the ocean.

There are two Ventura County Parks with overnight stay along the Rincon. Faria Beach Park and Hobson. Both have snack bars of some sort. They're popular and I'm not up on what it takes to get into them. They are a little more removed from the hwy. This section of Hwy 1 doesn't see the kind of traffic that the Malibu section does, not with 101 just a little further over, but it's not traffic-free either.

Calico Ghost Town campground (San Bern. County Park) has showers in the upper loops, don't know about the lower, OHV area. Spring and Fall are the best times of the year, but I've experienced pleasant if cool weather there in January. I've also experienced brutal cold and on a different trip almost brutal hot there in mid April. Can easily hike into some interesting canyons from the Eastern Upper loop. The park rangers will keep you from entering Wall St. canyon at the upper end of the Ghost Town's lower parking lot because of flash flood concerns, but the canyon is very pretty. Depending on the route it could be a longish hike to see it from the top of the Falls, but very worthwhile.

As an aside, if the budget allows and there's room for it might look up the "Clam" bug shelters on Amazon. We carry a 4 sided version with the added sidewalls for a shower room and a friend with 'tweener' kids uses a 6 sided version with sidewalls as their sole tent on rough Off-highway trips.
Thanks for a very thorough recommendation! Haven't looked at any of the above sites yet (except Emma Wood and got alarmed by stories about transients and theft there) but now definitely will. So many sites so little time!
Old 09-27-2018, 01:36 PM   #18

California
You're welcome. There are a lot more in the area, but keeping mind the kinds of amenities that new campers of any age will appreciate I sifted and sorted a bit.

I left it off because of the current thread on a rally being held there, but Lake Casitas is another one worth a look.

Tags
casita