First Experiences with My Ventura! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2017, 01:22 PM   #1

Name: Chickaboo
Trailer: Ventura 13ft
Manitoba
Talking First Experiences with My Ventura!

I'm already laughing remembering how my first Ventura days unfolded!

In my 40s, my willingness to continue tenting had diminished significantly - even without the preschooler mocking how long it took to do everything myself. Admiring the glampers on Pinterest, I started thinking about acquiring a small trailer. I'd had a pop-up many years previous. With great joy (and no research) I purchased a 13ft 1979 (I think) Ventura this past June. Piece of cake, I thought, afterall, I've been hauling trailers and campers for years .

Delayed Onset Ex-husband Appreciation could be the subtitle for this thread! While I have had all this experience towing various items for my hobby mechanic ex, I soon discovered that I didn't have ALL the experience required . It is a different world when the super experienced are not standing nearby adding instructions along the way!

Shortly after the trailer was delivered I took it for a drive around my neighbourhood to see how it tows and get acquainted with the balance. I should have used that time to google 10 Things You Must Do Before You Tow!

Hooking up to my vehicle was easy. Did the electrical check and a walk around before pulling away. I felt confident (like a bloody rock star to be honest!) in the first moments driving straight down my street. Took a nice wide right turn and cheered when I saw the blinkers flashing in the side view mirror. "This baby is ready for a weekend excursion already!" Took another wide right turn on the next block. More success. I was driving slowly on a residential street, feeling the pull of extra weight, listening to the new sounds and looking to what I could see in my side view mirrors. I noted the first adjustment necessary: the Rogue mirrors were a little small as I preferred to be able to see the top of the trailer also.

As I was looking in the mirrors, driving forward, I drove over a significant bump and perked up to note how the trailer would bob since I knew it wasn't going to be in unison with the SUV.

There was a really loud BANG and then the SUV was pulled back and then another BANG finally ending in metal on concrete squealing and a CRASH . Everything came to a halt!

The trailer had unhitched! It was tilted forward with the tongue resting well underneath my bumper. The propane tank was firmly embedded in the bumper. People came running out of their houses. I was terribly confused . What happened?

After surveying the scene and asking lots of questions, one of the neighbours (a professional truck driver) stood next to me and said "Young lady, you didn't raise that jack on the tongue." And I was stunned. The jack on the tongue goes up? Really? Who knew?

After repairs, some new parts and dislodging the propane tank, I did take the Ventura for a weekend excursion to Whiteshell Provincial Park. Using a checklist made the whole process safer! That weekend was not uneventful - think lots of rain and a mudslide in my spot - but that's a story for another day!

I'm looking forward to another summer Ventura-ing!
chickaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:54 PM   #2

Name: Birgit
Trailer: 1976 Ventura Monarch towing with RAV4 V6 2008
British Columbia
Ha!

Your story is hilarious! I loved the read and could see myself in your shoes fer sher!

Funny story.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:12 PM   #3

Name: Chickaboo
Trailer: Ventura 13ft
Manitoba
Thanks BolerBee!

I'm taking it to a seasonal site this summer to reduce the number of gaff opportunities.
chickaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:31 PM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Just wait till you're in the Ventura on a slopping driveway with the front jack down but no wheel blocks. I was working on my interior and went to the back of the trailer and had it rear up like a wild stallion and down the driveway I went We all learn the hard way, check and double check! No trailers or people were injured in the making of this movie.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:46 PM   #5

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickaboo View Post
Thanks BolerBee!

I'm taking it to a seasonal site this summer to reduce the number of gaff opportunities.
I missed this before. Good story.

You can also get yourself a coupler latch lock to hopefully keep the trailer hitched even when other items are not quite right. Many of us would not go anywhere without one.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:13 AM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickaboo View Post
I'm already laughing remembering how my first Ventura days unfolded!
After surveying the scene and asking lots of questions, one of the neighbours (a professional truck driver) stood next to me and said "Young lady, you didn't raise that jack on the tongue." And I was stunned. The jack on the tongue goes up? Really? Who knew?
Life's learning experiences for the book......I'm working on vol 4
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ventura