First long trip... Utah help? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-05-2014, 09:49 PM   #15
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Originally Posted by Burtim View Post
The Jeep will be new. Anyone know if there's any problem towing with low miles on an engine. .
Read your manual, I know some state the vehicle should not be used for towing for the first x so many miles.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:08 PM   #16
Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Zion also has some tours that are free and guided by a park ranger. You sign up at the visitors center for the next day. The guided one we took was very interesting. The regular shuttles run about every 15 minutes if my memory is correct. I found the shuttles to be convenient. If you have the time I would suggest you go thru the MtCarmel tunnel. We came into the park from the East and the tunnel was a real treat.

Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:03 AM   #17
Name: Alice
Trailer: 2015 T@B M@X CS-S - Condo A-Go-Go
About 4 miles past Quail Creek is Sand Hollow State Park. Personally, I think it is prettier and there may be some campsites with hookups. Most people go to Quail Creek to fish. Sand Hollow has alot of boaters at ATV's. You can camp on the beach also, but be careful the road down is all sand and if you are too heavy you could get stuck.

Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:52 PM   #18
Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
Do take as long as you can in Utah. We spent 3 weeks in the fall of 2013 and visited 5 fabulous and distinctive National Parks; Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands, Capital Reef and Arches. If you are 62 or older and a US citizen you can buy a lifetime pass for $10, unbelievable! A year-long pass is usually $80 (still worth it). Our favorite campgrounds turned out to be BLM lands outside of Canyonlands (pit toilets, picnic tables, fire pits and water) and Capital Reef (no amenities). I also suggest that you use the "Search" button at the top of this page, scroll down to the Google Search and enter "Utah". You will find a TON of previous posts. Have a great time!
Note: Top and bottom photos are Zion and middle photo is Capital Reef.
Attached Thumbnails
001.jpg   101.jpg  

The Gleeful Glamper
Gilda (Jill-da)
"Here we go again on another amazing adventure"
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:57 AM   #19
Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I can second Valley of Fire, just east of Las Vegas, but you'll want to arrive early so you can snag a spot as someone else leaves. There are no reservations.

Beyond that, pic a place and stay for a while. Moab has some nice pay parks, is close to both Arches and Canyonlands National Parks, so it's kind of a two-for-one. Camp in-town and you'll find nice places for breakfast, dinner, ice cream and beer. Very low-stress for a first trip for a newbie.

If you can find a pay place near Zion, that might be another good option. Zion is probably booked solid by now, but is one of the nicest parks we've been to. We plan to go back.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:57 AM   #20
Name: Jack
Trailer: Escape 21
First long trip

We start early each day and try to do 300 miles if traveling far and then stop about 3p.m. to have a better chance at camp spaces and a longer happy hour.
You'll enjoy the Utah area, some of the most scenic in the country.
The Jeep Grand Cherokee, we've had ours for over three years and 60,000 miles and would buy it again. We have the V8 which uses very little more fuel than the V6 but it does a great job of towing and any Dodge dealer is familiar with the Dodge engine. Half of the mileage we have on the jeep is towing nearly 4000# and if you ever want to upgrade to a heavier trailer, you will already have your tow vehicle. Enjoy your trip.
Jack of Tucson
Jack Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:57 AM   #21
Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Little off topic, but this radius map gives a good idea about travel distances. Put in starting point, number of miles you want to travel, and it will give you a radius. Adding points gives a rule-of-thumb guide to length of journey. Bear in mind that it doesn't take into account roads or conditions, just radii.
Radius Around a Point on a Map

I don't get lost, I go on interesting side trips.
blodn1 is offline   Reply With Quote