First 'official' trip - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2008, 10:19 PM   #1

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Scamp / 2006 Honda Element
We made our first 'official' trip in the Scamp with a trip to Louisville State Recreation Area in Nebraska south of Omaha over the holiday weekend... and we had a great time.

It was initially myself, my wife, and my youngest son... however, my daughter and her boyfriend joined us later... although they stayed in a tent on our site.

The Scamp performed nearly flawlessly... the window AC kept the interior ice cold during Sunday when temperature approached 90. The only slight bug-a-boo was a moment when the hand pump stopped pumping. I eventually got the bright idea to place my finger over the water outlet and created some suction which eventually got the water going. Not sure if this means I have an air leak somewhere.

Aside from that, everything worked wonderfully. We used a new Coleman grill outside to do most of the cooking... using the stove inside to cook a couple of side items where required.

Our new 15" LCD tv got nice reception from the Omaha area... which was good as we suddenly found ourselves needing to monitor the weather Sunday evening. Storm clouds approached and a line of 70 mph winds eventually passed through, tossing tents and tree limbs everywhere. Fortunately, the Scamp held it's ground. It was this very storm front which ultimately produced the killer tornados which struck Iowa and Minnesota... so we were very lucky. During the rain which followed, all 5 of our camping party took refuge in the Scamp (comfortably).

Most people going to Louisville are focusing on the fishing (although we did do some swimming on Sunday)... and the same was true for us, catching everything from bluegill to large mouth bass and a late night cat fish.

It's not a bad spot to camp for a weekend close to home. I should add we thought it was kind of funny we ended up getting a pad next to what must have been the most expensive RV in the park... one of these quarter million dollar 40 some odd foot buses.

Next Wednesday, we'll be going on a 4-day trip at Ponca State Park in northeastern Nebraska (near Sioux City, Iowa)... and at the end of July we'll hopefully be ready for a 7-day trip which will include
the Black Hills and the Nebraska Star Party in the Sand Hills of north central Nebraska.

A few pics...

Gradually adding weight with new accessories, yet Element is still pulling with ease

Click image for larger version

Name:	pic3.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	13463

The family (well, minus my oldest son who will be graduating from high school this week)

Name:	pic2.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	13464

Another angle

Name:	pic1.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	13465

Christening of our Coleman Roadtrip grill

Name:	pic4.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	13466
HustonFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 11:21 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Trillium
Great Photos!! Love that push out window. I really want one of those grills. Thanks for sharing!!
Sharon Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:20 AM   #3

Thanks.

Regarding the push out windows... I did have one other glitch... an end on one of the brackets on the rear window cracked and caused the bracket to drop out. I think I can fix it. Perhaps someone has experience with these things.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:06 AM   #4

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
what nice family camping pics.. looks like you guys had great weather too!! I would love one of those grills too!
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:06 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I just received my Camping World flyer. It has that grill on sale!
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:47 PM   #6

Indeed... that's the grill I got ! (on sale at Camping World)
Old 06-19-2008, 03:07 PM   #7
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Thanks for sharing your trip report. Love the pics! It looks like y'all had fun!!

Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote