First tine on road--need advice - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2013, 01:26 AM   #21

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infogypsy View Post
Thanks Russ. Heading to Moab myself in two weeks. I'm selling my awning on my 16' scamp if you are interested. I'm parking trailer in Fairfield CA at someone's house and will be 1 1/2 hours away in Marin. I need brackets left with me but awning is too big for me to manage (female 5'4). It's 2005 scamp awning. Cost 550 new, asking 300 or perhaps less. Want to sell in California.
Judi,
Have fun in Moab. We stayed in Canyonlands Camp ground. It is right on the main drag so can access all of town on foot.
I would be interested in your awning, but connecting may be difficult as Marin is far from Carlsbad. I'm North of mexico by about 25 miles. You can PM me when you get to CA.
Regarding cruise control and trailers, I don't know why not. I use mine in the Jeep while towing. Mine is a 5 speed manual and requires me to do the down shifts when necessary. I then have to hit "resume" after shifting. My Honda Fit is automatic and shifts for itself when in cruise control, no "resume" needed. No, I don't tow with the Fit! You can try to set your cruise control while not in overdrive. It should still work.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:58 AM   #22
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
No, I don't tow with the Fit!
Why not Russ? The vehicle seems "fit" enough!

Ouch, sorry, couldn't resist. Canadian humour
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:06 AM   #23

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
Yep, we've driven across Wyoming, good idea to stop or slow down. Saw this sign there

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
wyoming_windsock_acer.jpg  

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:33 AM   #24

Name: Judi
Trailer: 16' scamp standard side diner
Indiana
Registry
Yesterday they were 60mph. Done. Today near Salt Lake City.
Infogypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:51 AM   #25

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Lots of good advise here but I don't agree with "never" use cruise while towing. I use it in flat areas with no problem. I will also set the transmission to tow mode. I do agree that we shouldn't use overdrive, although I do use it a little on nice flat highways and take it out when I come to hills or bucking strong winds.
I'm wondering if anyone has made a cable system to anchor their trailer to the ground in these windy conditions. They are predicting winds here in ND over 40 today. I'll have to keep my hat on "lock" when I go out.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:14 AM   #26

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
"Large "Ground Screws" are used in places like FL and WY to help tie down mobile homes and larger residential trailers in high winds.

They look like giant corkscrews that you turn into the ground and then run cables over your house to help tie it down.

When I first saw one, I immediately looked for the bottle of wine it was designed to open.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #27

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Kathie View Post
Yep, we've driven across Wyoming, good idea to stop or slow down. Saw this sign there

Good luck!
love that sign, hadn't seen it before.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:43 AM   #28

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infogypsy View Post
Don't know about towing w/wo water I gave about 6 gallons only in mine but all my gear for two months.
While I have no experience with towing a 16' with the smaller Forester I have pulled one with the larger Outback in windy winter conditions in Arizona and S. Cal. Found the tow to be surprisingly stable in windy conditions but I am very careful about keeping my tongue weight up to at least 10% of the axle weight.

Based on my experience with the larger Subaru and what situations can/will put it into an unstable tow state I would suggest that by adding water to the tanks (which are at the rear of the trailer) that you would be taking weight off the tongue and create a more unstable tow than what you already have - not just in windy conditions. Would be much better if you where able to add weight over the axle area or slightly ahead of it to increase the trailers towing stability.

Agree with others though that sometimes its just better to pull in for the day/night and wait it out.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #29

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
If I'm on the highway, cruise control is set, towing or not. I do stay out of overdrive. No need to take your car out of cruise to downshift for a hill. As soon as you touch the clutch, it will cancel cruise.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:34 PM   #30

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Masse View Post
Lots of good advise here but I don't agree with "never" use cruise while towing. I use it in flat areas with no problem. I will also set the transmission to tow mode. I do agree that we shouldn't use overdrive, although I do use it a little on nice flat highways and take it out when I come to hills or bucking strong winds.
I'm wondering if anyone has made a cable system to anchor their trailer to the ground in these windy conditions. They are predicting winds here in ND over 40 today. I'll have to keep my hat on "lock" when I go out.
One of the things that happens when you travel a bit you get into all kinds of weather. We've as has Norm been in all kinds of weather, 60 mph winds in Big Bend, TX, sand storm at TX, NM border just to name a couple of windy weather issues.
At Big Bend a couple left their awning up on their pop up. Another guy and myself put it away for him. It was about to torn from the trailer. The next day we found out they got back late and wouldn't even spend the night in the popup, us in our Scamp had zero problems.
The worst was the sand/dust storm, fine dust in everything. Other than that the trailer was just find.

Because winds can come up rapidly I don't have an awning and probably wouldn't use if I did.

I can see where "fair weather" campers would like an awning, (offense, different phases of life) where those of us that can and do spend longer periods of time camping would find an awning a burden rather than an asset.

As with many things if you like and can tolerate the negatives go for it. If the negatives out weigh the positives then don't.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:39 PM   #31

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Thanks Bob Miller you reminded me that I have a similar item. I still have a "screw in the ground" pet stake that I use to use to use for putting a dog out on a leash. It is about a foot long. It should work just like you mentioned. I'm sure most any pet store would sell them if anyone is interested. Those should be adequate for our little campers.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:39 PM   #32

One of the nasty things that the cruise control can do, esp. with a standard transmission, is keep adding lots more throttle to speed you up even a few mph on a grade. To accomplish that it often means going to full throttle trying to increase your speed 2-3 MPH.

Next time you go up a slight grade lightly rest your foot on the gas pedal and see what happens.

This will be even more pronounced when in 5th gear/overdrive.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:45 PM   #33

Registry
Judi as you are so new to towing & pulling in known windy areas I was wondering if anyone had taught you yet the best way to control sway? Has anyone advised you yet against using the brakes on your car should you start to feel the trailer pulling the car? If not you should be aware that using the cars brakes when the trailer is starting to sway is a great way of making matters worse. Best to take your foot off the car brake and use the lever on your brake controller to apply the brakes only to the trailer.

Safe travels
Old 10-01-2013, 05:29 PM   #34

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
One of the nasty things that the cruise control can do, esp. with a standard transmission, is keep adding lots more throttle to speed you up even a few mph on a grade. To accomplish that it often means going to full throttle trying to increase your speed 2-3 MPH. Next time you go up a slight grade lightly rest your foot on the gas pedal and see what happens. This will be even more pronounced when in 5th gear/overdrive.
Well yeah, that's what it's supposed to do.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:53 PM   #35

Yeah But...... The cruise control has no interest whatsoever in economy, only to maintain speed. The driver should get the hint when 25% and 100% throttle make no difference in speed except to make the gas gauge fall faster and will (maybe) let up a little to save fuel.

I only use the cruise control on the 5 speed Blazer on fairly level roads, and very seldom in 5th gear.

When towing with our Honda CRV, because the transmission is smart, it almost never shifts into overdrive, with or without cruise control.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #36

Name: Judi
Trailer: 16' scamp standard side diner
Indiana
Registry
Thanks for all the great advice. I tried Cc again today but only on level and it worked well. Kept it in 4th. I was up to. 25.8 mpg which was between SLC and Wendover. Will keep experimenting. As for sway
It's more the bounce that bothers me. Not a lit of sway.
Infogypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #37

Kansas
Every vehicle I've had, has a big difference between 25% and 100% throttle on hills.

This is another each to their own. My wants align perfect with the cruise controls actions. I want to maintain speed, not be the one slowing down and speeding up so the same people have to pass me twenty times in an hour. My fuel economy isn't going to change enough for it to matter.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:18 PM   #38

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
One question with the cruise control - does anyone know if their cars will cancel cruise if the car looses traction? That was a big reason I was told not to use CC when towing. But my car cancels CC when traction control or stability control is triggered.

Mine maintains speed through moderate hills, even in OD, so it's a none issue. Only time it's an issue is when the semis are lining up in the right lane below 45 mph.

I have seen the Wyoming wind sock sign. Lived in Laramie for about 9 months for tech school. Every time I drove home to CA there was a few semi trailers on their sides. Only one time did I see a camp trailer, or what was left of it(sticky). Best to wait it out when it blows.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:08 PM   #39

Kansas
No idea, but I wouldn't use it on ice, anyway.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #40

Registry
Or Rain - apparently some cars will not activate CC if the windshield wipers are on.