First tine on road--need advice - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #29

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
If I'm on the highway, cruise control is set, towing or not. I do stay out of overdrive. No need to take your car out of cruise to downshift for a hill. As soon as you touch the clutch, it will cancel cruise.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:34 PM   #30

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Masse View Post
Lots of good advise here but I don't agree with "never" use cruise while towing. I use it in flat areas with no problem. I will also set the transmission to tow mode. I do agree that we shouldn't use overdrive, although I do use it a little on nice flat highways and take it out when I come to hills or bucking strong winds.
I'm wondering if anyone has made a cable system to anchor their trailer to the ground in these windy conditions. They are predicting winds here in ND over 40 today. I'll have to keep my hat on "lock" when I go out.
One of the things that happens when you travel a bit you get into all kinds of weather. We've as has Norm been in all kinds of weather, 60 mph winds in Big Bend, TX, sand storm at TX, NM border just to name a couple of windy weather issues.
At Big Bend a couple left their awning up on their pop up. Another guy and myself put it away for him. It was about to torn from the trailer. The next day we found out they got back late and wouldn't even spend the night in the popup, us in our Scamp had zero problems.
The worst was the sand/dust storm, fine dust in everything. Other than that the trailer was just find.

Because winds can come up rapidly I don't have an awning and probably wouldn't use if I did.

I can see where "fair weather" campers would like an awning, (offense, different phases of life) where those of us that can and do spend longer periods of time camping would find an awning a burden rather than an asset.

As with many things if you like and can tolerate the negatives go for it. If the negatives out weigh the positives then don't.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #31

Name: Gene
Trailer: Scamp
North Dakota
Registry
Thanks Bob Miller you reminded me that I have a similar item. I still have a "screw in the ground" pet stake that I use to use to use for putting a dog out on a leash. It is about a foot long. It should work just like you mentioned. I'm sure most any pet store would sell them if anyone is interested. Those should be adequate for our little campers.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #32

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
One of the nasty things that the cruise control can do, esp. with a standard transmission, is keep adding lots more throttle to speed you up even a few mph on a grade. To accomplish that it often means going to full throttle trying to increase your speed 2-3 MPH.

Next time you go up a slight grade lightly rest your foot on the gas pedal and see what happens.

This will be even more pronounced when in 5th gear/overdrive.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:45 PM   #33

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Judi as you are so new to towing & pulling in known windy areas I was wondering if anyone had taught you yet the best way to control sway? Has anyone advised you yet against using the brakes on your car should you start to feel the trailer pulling the car? If not you should be aware that using the cars brakes when the trailer is starting to sway is a great way of making matters worse. Best to take your foot off the car brake and use the lever on your brake controller to apply the brakes only to the trailer.

Safe travels
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:29 PM   #34

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
One of the nasty things that the cruise control can do, esp. with a standard transmission, is keep adding lots more throttle to speed you up even a few mph on a grade. To accomplish that it often means going to full throttle trying to increase your speed 2-3 MPH. Next time you go up a slight grade lightly rest your foot on the gas pedal and see what happens. This will be even more pronounced when in 5th gear/overdrive.
Well yeah, that's what it's supposed to do.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:53 PM   #35

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Yeah But...... The cruise control has no interest whatsoever in economy, only to maintain speed. The driver should get the hint when 25% and 100% throttle make no difference in speed except to make the gas gauge fall faster and will (maybe) let up a little to save fuel.

I only use the cruise control on the 5 speed Blazer on fairly level roads, and very seldom in 5th gear.

When towing with our Honda CRV, because the transmission is smart, it almost never shifts into overdrive, with or without cruise control.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:58 PM   #36

Name: Judi
Trailer: 16' scamp standard side diner
Indiana
Registry
Thanks for all the great advice. I tried Cc again today but only on level and it worked well. Kept it in 4th. I was up to. 25.8 mpg which was between SLC and Wendover. Will keep experimenting. As for sway
It's more the bounce that bothers me. Not a lit of sway.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:58 PM   #37

Kansas
Every vehicle I've had, has a big difference between 25% and 100% throttle on hills.

This is another each to their own. My wants align perfect with the cruise controls actions. I want to maintain speed, not be the one slowing down and speeding up so the same people have to pass me twenty times in an hour. My fuel economy isn't going to change enough for it to matter.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #38

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
One question with the cruise control - does anyone know if their cars will cancel cruise if the car looses traction? That was a big reason I was told not to use CC when towing. But my car cancels CC when traction control or stability control is triggered.

Mine maintains speed through moderate hills, even in OD, so it's a none issue. Only time it's an issue is when the semis are lining up in the right lane below 45 mph.

I have seen the Wyoming wind sock sign. Lived in Laramie for about 9 months for tech school. Every time I drove home to CA there was a few semi trailers on their sides. Only one time did I see a camp trailer, or what was left of it(sticky). Best to wait it out when it blows.

Jason
Old 10-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #39

Kansas
No idea, but I wouldn't use it on ice, anyway.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #40

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Or Rain - apparently some cars will not activate CC if the windshield wipers are on.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #41

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Yeah But...... The cruise control has no interest whatsoever in economy, only to maintain speed. The driver should get the hint when 25% and 100% throttle make no difference in speed except to make the gas gauge fall faster and will (maybe) let up a little to save fuel.

I only use the cruise control on the 5 speed Blazer on fairly level roads, and very seldom in 5th gear.

When towing with our Honda CRV, because the transmission is smart, it almost never shifts into overdrive, with or without cruise control.
I see what you are saying Bob. I wondered if the fuel injection/engine management was smart enough to compensate for over zealous use of the throttle. Is it really pouring un-usable fuel into the cylinders? On my return from Utah I drove for a 10 hour stretch and was glad to be able to use the cruise control!
Russ
Old 10-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #42

Kansas
No, fuel injection won't inject unusable fuel. What it will do, and what it and cruise control is designed to do, is to inject every possible usable bit of fuel to maintain speed. If your one of the people that likes to do 55, speed up to 60 on the downhill and drop to 50 on the uphill, then no, it won't do that for you (thank god).