First tine on road--need advice - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2013, 01:54 PM   #1

Name: Judi
Trailer: 16' scamp standard side diner
Indiana
Registry
First tine on road--need advice

I'm pulling 16' scamp, now in laramie Wyoming with wind advisory for light trailers (gusts to 50 mph) do I slow way down to 35-40 mph or ? 2nd question: climbing passes do I turn off cruise control and just downshift (2009 Subaru Forrester MT)?
Infogypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Suggest you read Subaru manual.
I never use cruise when towing ( up or down ). Transmission is in 4 and not overdrive as per my RAV4 manual.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:42 PM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Agreed, never use cruise nor overdrive while towing, I'm sure your manual will explain this.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infogypsy View Post
I'm pulling 16' scamp, now in laramie Wyoming with wind advisory for light trailers (gusts to 50 mph) do I slow way down to 35-40 mph or ? 2nd question: climbing passes do I turn off cruise control and just downshift (2009 Subaru Forrester MT)?
Speed you drive depends on which way the wind is blowing. Head wind slow down, in fact you may be forced to slow way down. Side winds slow down but not as much as a head wind. Tail wind stay in the safe towing speed of 55 to 60.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:30 PM   #5

Indiana
Registry
Thanks. Sitting in rest area between Laramie and rawlins. Think I need to get off this mountain top rest areA. I've been using cruise control but will check manual. Right now side winds are 60 mph so need to stop.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:31 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
When's the wind due to blow over? I'd park, but that's just me I don't do well with sweaty palms... and I have enough gray hair...
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:32 PM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We have the same trailer and similar sized tow vehicles.

I assume MT means manual transmission. Generally I tow in 4th, though with a strong tail wind or flat land towing I occasionally tow in 5th. I never use cruise going up hill and do downshift on steep down hills to insure I don't get going to fast down hill.

If the winds are extremely strong we just take some time off and hole up.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:52 PM   #8
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Those sound like nasty winds.

Time to take a break.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:20 PM   #9

Indiana
Registry
Yes. I'm turning it in tonight. Even going to a good Sam camp which I usually avoid commercial sites. Thanks all. Perhaps once I get the last 200 miles done early tomorrow in Wyoming Utah will be better.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:55 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You and Sally get a good night's sleep. Personally, I'm glad you are parked and off the windy road
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:15 PM   #11

Indiana
Registry
Thanks everyone. Feel like I have you all looking after me. A whole campground of travelers are holed up here in Rawlins, everyone else with enormous 5rh wheels. They're all complaining about impossible wind and being stuck here for two days. I plan on leaving early, finishing the windy stretch between here and 150 miles west in the morning and take my time. I have my first big pass to go over Tuesday morning.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:23 PM   #12
k8t

Name: Katie
Trailer: ParkLiner 2013
California
We are driving in the same wind, and maybe a day ahead of you coming west. We're towing our new Parkliner with a Nissan xterra 4wd. No problems or concerns with the tow vehicle but those winds from Laramie to Rawlins yesterday were insane! We pulled off about 50 miles west of Laramie, and sat for about 2 hours in an old closed gas station to wait it out. Finally went around it along highway 30 to Rawlins and by then the winds had died enough for our comfort to make it easily into Rock Springs. I think they were blowing around the 25-30 range with similar gusts at that point. Today we only made it as far as West Wendover, NV and stopped because of the high wind warnings extending form just past here to basically Reno. We could definitely feel the increase in the head winds as we came into here during the last 20-30 miles. Very frustrating! The trailer is towing beautifully, but it's definitely light. We're staying at KOAs along the way and need to get home.

Our question is- does filling our water tank and the added weight help with stability in the high wind? We just picked ours up and have purposely been waiting to go through our water sterilization, etc at home and just running light as we cross the country. Maybe we should fill up for ballast?
k8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:43 PM   #13

Indiana
Registry
Yup same winds. Mostly 40-55 today on passes. I could not get my scamp door open, it was blowing that hard. I was hoping winds would be gone by Nevada. Bah. I'm on a schedule this trip and need to make SF by Friday. Don't know about towing w/wo water I gave about 6 gallons only in mine but all my gear for two months. One good nite: I'm getting as much as 23.8 mpg on flat days and 22 mpg today even with elevation changes.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:10 PM   #14

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
I just returned to California from Moab, Utah today with my 16' Scamp. We hit some pretty strong winds along the way which moved the rig over about 4' at times. That is an uncomfortable feeling for sure. Later while we were in camp a gust turned my awning into scrap with one puff! I don't have any idea how much wind it takes to overturn a Scamp and don't want to find out the hard way! Any weight you add down low would help resist overturning, but waiting out the storm is the sane way to stay safe.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:55 PM   #15

Trailer: 2007 Casita
[QUOTE=Infogypsy;421537]Thanks. Sitting in rest area between Laramie and rawlins. Think I need to get off this mountain top rest areA.QUOTE]

Are you sure your in "Laramie"?
Cause there really aren't any mountain's in Laramie!

I agree with others, NO cruz control when towning!

And if the wind is so bad, you will be better off stopping and moving on when things calm down. It's not worth it! Driven WY wind for years. I hate it! It's not just unnerving but it can be dangerous! Stay safe! Enjoy the journey...........
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:46 AM   #16

Indiana
Registry
Thanks Russ. Heading to Moab myself in two weeks. I'm selling my awning on my 16' scamp if you are interested. I'm parking trailer in Fairfield CA at someone's house and will be 1 1/2 hours away in Marin. I need brackets left with me but awning is too big for me to manage (female 5'4). It's 2005 scamp awning. Cost 550 new, asking 300 or perhaps less. Want to sell in California.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:22 AM   #17
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Good luck with your drive today.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:26 AM   #18

Indiana
Registry
Thanks. Leaving at dawn - 30 min. - intention to escape high wind area before it really starts to pick up. Predicting 60 mph gusts today in Laramie to rawlins wy stretch. I'm heading other direction.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:44 AM   #19

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Awnings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
Later while we were in camp a gust turned my awning into scrap with one puff!Russ
We carry a removeable awning but rarely use it for just that reason. Over the years we see awnings simply ripped off every year. They simply can not be left unattended in most parts of the country. Even attended they can be gone in seconds either from water weight or the strong gust.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:08 AM   #20

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We carry a removeable awning but rarely use it for just that reason. Over the years we see awnings simply ripped off every year. They simply can not be left unattended in most parts of the country. Even attended they can be gone in seconds either from water weight or the strong gust.
Norm,
I had really been lucky with the awning the last two years! It is one of my favorite features, and is used constantly while camping. In the past I had sufficed with lowering the legs down to about 5' high at night or in windy conditions. I even left it out in the rain. Now I'll have to retract it which is a drag. The Dometic 2500 is not known for its ease of use, but is deployable by one person once mastered. You just have to pay attention to the many required steps and intermeshing parts to avoid damage to the awning.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote