FL Everglades Travel Warning - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-14-2013, 10:38 PM   #29

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Ed what did you do with the Iquana??

Donna, if they could do that it would be a win win for both problems! LOL But after reading here about the Python hunt I read up a little on the story behind it - apparently the whole reasoning for the hunt is the Python eats everything - including a whole deer in one gulp - sounds like the Vultures would just be a fast on the fly snack!

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:10 PM   #30

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Carol H... Maybe you don't Iguana know?
Now headless Pythons might be just fine for Vultures, as I think they prefer "Dead Meat". Sounds a bit like a plot for a full Monty Python Show tho!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie

Old 01-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #31

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2007 Toyota Tundra/2015 Tundra
Montana
Registry
I heard that vultures taking off after eating dead things is bad. You don't want to be there at lift off.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:13 PM   #32

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Ed what did you do with the Iquana??
Here is the story,

Oh what a night!

I have figured out that it was the cold weather that rendered
it "Dropped" as it was record cold that entire week and they were reported seen everywhere in PB County.

Trust me if you have never seen a 5' Iguana you do not want to either!
Old 01-15-2013, 07:20 PM   #33

Name: William
Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: Carol H... Maybe you don't Iguana know?
Now headless Pythons might be just fine for Vultures, as I think they prefer "Dead Meat". Sounds a bit like a plot for a full Monty Python Show tho!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
They can't leave the carcass in the field as they have to bring them to the station so the rangers etc can research them for number of eggs, what they have eaten, weight, length, etc. they have 2 prizes, one for the most caught and the other for the longest.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #34

Florida
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi B. View Post
I heard that vultures taking off after eating dead things is bad. You don't want to be there at lift off.
we camped with a couple a few of years back and at dusk we noticed the vultures started to roost in the trees around our sites. When I went out about 7 am they were long gone, went next door to the friends camper and couldn't believe the mess on their car. Well they got up about an hour later and she got sick when she saw it and when she recovered it took them about 2 solid hours to clean it up, buzzards are indeed a dirtybird
Old 01-15-2013, 07:30 PM   #35

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
You know, I'm surprised some TV types haven't jumped on the Python problem down there- you'd think the hunt combined with the environmental benefit (Save The Everglades!) would make for a great show...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #36

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
OK
They are also urging humane deaths for the Pythons suggesting that chopping the head off causes THEM too much suffering as they might still live for an hour without the head?
They suggest a drill bit to the brain as the more humane method!
Who thinks this stuff up?
I can see it now: Dozens of Air Boats lined up like a Bassmaster start containing hundreds of wader clad Nimrods preparing for a Normandy like assault on the Hummocks of the Everglades. Each carrying their favorate battery operated drill/driver in their trusty holder. And after the hunt is over they will retire to their favorite watering hole to throw back a couple of cold ones and regale each other with stories of the one that got away, or discuss the relative merits of the lower weight Hitachi DS18DBL with a .375 brad point twist bit and lifetime warranty for the quick coup de gras or the higher speed, higher torque Makita LXFD03 coupled with a 3/4" forstner bit that will make up for poor marksmanship with its larger lethal impact zone.
Michael j.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:33 PM   #37

Registry
I think pythons' brains are in their heads, which is more than one can say for whoever thought up that "1/2 hour of torture" nincompoopery.

If the head's gone, there's nothing to "feel/process" the pain... at least in the case of the python.

Francesca
Old 01-16-2013, 08:34 PM   #38

Florida
there has been 800 hunters that signed up for the month and as of this morning they have killed 11 snakes, not a lot of success even if just 1/8 of those folks showed up. Thursday is supposed to turn colder days 70's / nights mid 50's (doncha just love what they call cold in Fl) the snakes will be less active so it will probably be worse.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:50 PM   #39

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
You know, I'm surprised some TV types haven't jumped on the Python problem down there- you'd think the hunt combined with the environmental benefit (Save The Everglades!) would make for a great show...

Francesca
I read where someone from the TV show Animal Kingdom? suggested they were more concerned that people would die trying to kill the Python's due to either being bitten or eatten by the pythons or accidently shot by another hunter....... perhaps they feel any show done on the topic might come off more like Duck Dynaste rather than having much educational value.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:52 PM   #40

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
In addition to vultures being 'dirty birds', we humans make a mess where we go too. I shudder at what happens to the native animal residents of the everglades with umpteen hunters blasting through the glades, soley focused on "killin me lots of snakes!" Its a really difficult problem to try and solve.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:01 PM   #41

Registry
Nothing much has slowed them down so far- there was a big freeze a couple of years ago that was supposed to have thinned them out some, but it looks like there are some very large survivors...that really has everyone's hair on fire. If the climate can't stop them.....

This big girl was taken a few weeks ago by scientists. She's over seventeen feet long, and when they opened her up, she had 87 eggs inside!
Here quoting from Monster python caught in Florida:
Quote:
Researchers have found that snakes will eat just about everything that walks, crawls or flies in the Everglades, from egrets to alligators. A study published early this year linked the boom of pythons in the Everglades to a crash in populations of many bite-sized mammals like raccoons, opossums and marsh rabbits.

Francesca
Old 01-17-2013, 10:41 AM   #42

Name: Des and Diane (D & D)
Trailer: Boler 1300, 1977 (#2033, "L EGGO")
Ontario
Didn't I see somewhere, perhaps in a U.S. National Geographic Special, that the way to find Pythons is to wade barefoot through the swamps and "feel" them out with your toes?