FL Everglades Travel Warning - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2013, 11:01 PM   #41

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Nothing much has slowed them down so far- there was a big freeze a couple of years ago that was supposed to have thinned them out some, but it looks like there are some very large survivors...that really has everyone's hair on fire. If the climate can't stop them.....

This big girl was taken a few weeks ago by scientists. She's over seventeen feet long, and when they opened her up, she had 87 eggs inside!
Here quoting from Monster python caught in Florida:
Quote:
Researchers have found that snakes will eat just about everything that walks, crawls or flies in the Everglades, from egrets to alligators. A study published early this year linked the boom of pythons in the Everglades to a crash in populations of many bite-sized mammals like raccoons, opossums and marsh rabbits.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:41 AM   #42

Trailer: Boler 1300 1977 (#2033 L EGGO)
Didn't I see somewhere, perhaps in a U.S. National Geographic Special, that the way to find Pythons is to wade barefoot through the swamps and "feel" them out with your toes?
Des Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:47 AM   #43

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des Nolan View Post
Didn't I see somewhere, perhaps in a U.S. National Geographic Special, that the way to find Pythons is to wade barefoot through the swamps and "feel" them out with your toes?
I think I read that in a book that was more or less written posthumously, credited to a guy whose last words were "watch this"!

Francesca
Old 01-17-2013, 11:03 AM   #44

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Des, it may have been the National Geographic as they do have a show called the Python Hunter. In fact I recall now that it was actually one of the guys from that show who I mentioned in Post 39 who expressed concern for the safety of the hunters.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #45

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des Nolan View Post
I saw that on a documentary but it was for Anaconda research in the Amazon. A bigger more dangerous snake as they use drowning as a tactic.
(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:07 PM   #46

Trailer: Boler 1300 1977 (#2033 L EGGO)
Yeh, that's the one!

Now, how does one distinguish between an Anaconda and a Python -- kind of like is that a Shark or a Barracuda swimming towards me?
Des Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:58 PM   #47

Registry
If you have eyes in your toes, this should help:

Francesca
Old 12-29-2014, 04:30 PM   #48

Name: XXX
Trailer: whatever
NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Dear Florida:

We here at Fiberglass RV are aware that your beautiful State is presently undergoing a combined assault by members of the Animal Kingdom, namely "Vultures" and "Pythons". (We are at present leaving the scourge in South Florida called "Mickey Mouse" out of the picture)

This letter is to suggest that you immediately undertake an Effort to coat all pythons with a rubber-like compound in order to make them more attractive to Vultures than automobile rubber things presently appear to be.

Note:
The rubber-like compound should be black in color because, let's face it, that's the color of most automobile rubber. Why else would vultures eat it- or for that matter, snakes? Hello?

We expect the result to be entirely to your satisfaction.

Love and Kisses,

The Animal/Tourists' Rights Committee
Fiberglass RV.contrary

Excellent idea! The local Lowe's Home Improvement sells Plasti-Dip rubberized coating in a "Camo Black" aerosol spray can. We'll order a few cases to initially do a study test...
Hidalga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 05:38 PM   #49

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Dear Florida:

We here at Fiberglass RV are aware that your beautiful State is presently undergoing a combined assault by members of the Animal Kingdom, namely "Vultures" and "Pythons". (We are at present leaving the scourge in South Florida called "Mickey Mouse" out of the picture)

This letter is to suggest that you immediately undertake an Effort to coat all pythons with a rubber-like compound in order to make them more attractive to Vultures than automobile rubber things presently appear to be.

Note:

The rubber-like compound should be black in color because, let's face it, that's the color of most automobile rubber. Why else would vultures eat it- or for that matter, snakes? Hello?

We expect the result to be entirely to your satisfaction.

Love and Kisses,

The Animal/Tourists' Rights Committee

Fiberglass RV.contrary

Many in Florida consider Snowbirds to be a greater scourge/less desirable than either pythons or vultures!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 12-29-2014, 09:45 PM   #50

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Many in Florida consider Snowbirds to be a greater scourge/less desirable than either pythons or vultures!

Gotta love that good ole Florida hospitality.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:09 PM   #51

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
FL Everglades Travel Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
Gotta love that good ole Florida hospitality.

Didn't say that was my feeling about snowbirds. It could be said that every snowbird that comes raises the collective IQ of the state. Here in God's waiting room there are a lot of individuals who whine and complain about everything, whether it's snowbirds, Yankees, liberals, conservatives, the heat and humidity in the summer, taxes, spring breakers, traffic, lousy restaurants, salt air, rain, etc. My original post was somewhat tongue-in-cheek......Being a transplant myself, I can understand why people want to spend the winter here. I personally have a lot of friends who are snowbirds.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:08 AM   #52

Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I have lived in Florida long enough that I consider myself a Floridian. Now, there are plusses and minuses with the flocking of so many snowbirds to our state each winter. From my perspective, they about fill up my good fishing campsites each year during their frigid and our temperate winter months. On the plus side, though, which far outweighs the minus, is that Florida is one of the few states that has no state income tax. And its all those dollars the snowbirds & tourists spend down here which is partly responsible for that for all us Floridians. So, welcome to all you snowbirds. Keep coming down & spending your money down here. Most of us that know, really don't mind at all.
John Hussey is offline   Reply With Quote