Florida Campgrounds?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2013, 01:11 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Florida Campgrounds??

We are (I am) one year away from retirement and plan on staying in Florida in our Lil Snoozy from January through the end of April. We would like to be far enough south to take advantage of warmer than Northern Florida weather, yet I do not want to be near the shore in a densely populated area. Thinking 20 mile west of West Palm, next to alligator alley. Should we expect a problem with mosquito or reptiles we do not generally encounter in the North?
We have been looking at a campground called SunSport Gardens in Loxahatchee. Any one with knowledge pro or con?
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:59 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Bill in Pittsburgh... I didn't know you were that kind of people. To stay in one of those au naturel resorts you'd probably need a lot of sun tan oil or sun screen, or aloe vera.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:04 PM   #3

Pennsylvania
Registry
We are the kind of people freaked out by reptiles (primarily snakes). That is my biggest concern, but no one has commented on whether or not they think we would have probable encounters with snakes in Southern Florida. We can handle possible encounters, but probable encounters is more than we desire to deal with.
Also any other camp ground recommendations in Southern Florida would be appreciated.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #4

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
i, too, am freaked out by the thought of encountering a snake..or more than one.
and that is with my clothes ON! i cannot imagine it at this park!!!!

just me,,,,but i've watched too many of those reality shows of them hunting down the giant pythons for me to be comfortable anywhere in the alligator alley vicinity.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #5

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Bill

I have stayed in Palm Beach at the John Prince Park in Lake Worth and despite being right in PB County I like the park a lot.
The sites can be close together and the full hookup sites are almost touching each other but again it is cheap and in PB itself.

There are signs as you enter warning to not run over the Iguanas and there are 7 to 8 foot Monsters just laying in the sun all over the place but I didn't see any snakes while I was seeing Iguana! I think they are about equal in the food chain and neither have any natural predators that can help thin the populations.

Otherwise I have stayed at Highland Hammock State Park in Sebring and there is a Rally there in 2 weeks two. There are certainly Snakes there and many other giant Reptiles and Armadillos and Hogs.
I had an Armadillo in the shower with me last year there but he did not seem to even know I was there,I on the other hand knew he was there!

South Florida just has a lot of Wildlife so camping there will always be filled with slithering creatures I imagine.

In general I don't think they are that aggressive but........
I am not about to suggest you will not cross their paths, I almost always do. They are also so well suited to the environment that I rarely see them until I am about to step on one. That will likely get you noticed by them too.

There is also Lion Country Safari with a Campground and maybe while staying there the Reptile is the least of your worries?!

I love South Florida camping myself.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:30 PM   #6

Pennsylvania
Registry
Thanks for the info. I will be checking the place out. May have a heart attack if I step on a snake or one of the creatures you mention.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:58 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Pittsburgh View Post
Thanks for the info. I will be checking the place out. May have a heart attack if I step on a snake or one of the creatures you mention.
You know, Florida is known as "god's waiting room"!
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:41 PM   #8

Name: john
Trailer: 2007 13ft scamp
Michigan
We retired to Port Saint Lucie 2yrs ago about 30mi N of Palm Beach. We have a few black snakes but were told they are good for keeping mice etc in check. Not poisonous. We did camp at John Pennekamp at the N end of the Keys and Bahia Honda at the S end. Didn't see any snakes but lots of igwana. They just minded their own business. Bugs were not bad and we went in August. It is absolutely breathtaking down there! We have a new/used scamp and can't wait to get her to some more of the parks. Critters and all!
scamprookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:43 PM   #9

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by scamprookie View Post
We retired to Port Saint Lucie 2yrs ago about 30mi N of Palm Beach. We have a few black snakes but were told they are good for keeping mice etc in check. Not poisonous. We did camp at John Pennekamp at the N end of the Keys and Bahia Honda at the S end. Didn't see any snakes but lots of igwana. They just minded their own business. Bugs were not bad and we went in August. It is absolutely breathtaking down there! We have a new/used scamp and can't wait to get her to some more of the parks. Critters and all!
Thanks, Sounds reassuring.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #10

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Bill

I think maybe you just need to be Hypnotized to learn to "Become One with the Snake"!

It is South Florida in all of its Tropical Splendor.
The Wildlife has been there a lot longer than the Humans.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #11

Name: Rebecca
Trailer: Coach House Van
Florida
snakes and gators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Pittsburgh View Post
We are the kind of people freaked out by reptiles (primarily snakes). That is my biggest concern, but no one has commented on whether or not they think we would have probable encounters with snakes in Southern Florida. We can handle possible encounters, but probable encounters is more than we desire to deal with.
Also any other camp ground recommendations in Southern Florida would be appreciated.
I live in Central Florida in the city. I have had a gator on my front porch and a black snake who hangs out in the shrubs in the back yard. He thinks nothing of crossing the patio while I sit out back and talk on the phone.

Lizards are as common as 'skeeters and a lot of people are freaked out by them too.

I love living in Florida but Florida = Critters of all kinds in abundance.

Ya have to learn to love them!
Shawneegyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:18 PM   #12

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... If you think the gardener left the hose coiled up under the bushes...THINK AGAIN!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #13

Name: dave
Trailer: Snoozy
New Jersey
Central florida

Check out shadybrook campground in Sumterville Florida. Reasonable seasonal rates.i have stayed there numerous times. Weather is just right I think. I don't remember ever seeing any snakes. Some people golf - some don't.
djcolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:37 AM   #14

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Bill, If you're near the Everglades, you're gonna have skeeters. You'll also have other wildlife, but the skeeters will distract you from noticing.
Ron
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:23 AM   #15

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Everything in Florida is bigger, including the bugs. There is such a variety of tropical insects and reptiles that you will surely have encounters. Watch out for the fire ants, they bite. Stay on concrete pads and you should be fine.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:23 PM   #16

Pennsylvania
Registry
T Y V M, I'm going to look it up now.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #17

Pennsylvania
Registry
Nice camp ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcolson View Post
Check out shadybrook campground in Sumterville Florida. Reasonable seasonal rates.i have stayed there numerous times. Weather is just right I think. I don't remember ever seeing any snakes. Some people golf - some don't.
I looked it up and it looks nice. I'm hoping to be further south.
Thank you
Old 03-13-2013, 06:23 AM   #18

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Average temperatures for April in Pensacola, (north Florida), are 76 daytime and 57 night. Why do you want warmer than that? Of course, some days can still be a bit chilly.

I took this picture in my back yard yesterday:
Attached Thumbnails
Backyard 3-12-13.jpg  
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #19

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Jim,

We just spent 3 months in central Fl and saw virtually zero bugs. I think bugs are really related to time of year and location.

As to fire ants, they cover the south.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #20

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Actually I was inferring the size of some of them! The ones you have to trip before taking them out. But in season of course. They also have a screen for your cars for the "love bugs" which certain times of the year will just about clog your radiator.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote