Florida Proposes Closing 53 State Parks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2011, 09:13 AM   #1

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Florida Proposes Closing 53 State Parks

A proposal brought about by the Florida budget deficit; nothing definite yet, just a proposal at this point. Luckily, they aren't considering closing any park with camping facilities. A lot of museums, historic sites, and some day-use beaches. I hate to see any closing of state parks however.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:47 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Ray N. I'd rather pay a road toll to get to a park than not have a park to get to!!!
What's with them??? Must not be touristy types.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:19 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Absolutely! Around here the Florida state parks charge five or six dollars per vehicle with up to eight people for day use. We just returned from Hunting Island state park in South Carolina where we paid $20 for four of us to go in, (five dollars per person)! An then, they charged us an additional two dollars each to climb the lighthouse! It's a nice state park, but nothing nicer than some of the ones here in the panhandle of Florida.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:09 PM   #4

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Dick & Joanne
I, too, would rather pay tolls than close parks.

Dick
Dick & Joanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
This makes me sad. 53 is one third of our state park system (160 parks). No, the list doesn't include parks with camping... they're probably closer to self-supporting, even though Florida charges residents and non-residents the same camping fee. (I think non-residents should pay a slightly higher fee, by the way. Our taxes support our state parks, and I never object to paying an extra few dollars as a non-resident in other states where we pay a little extra. I get it.)
However, I'm not as concerned about temporary closings, where the property can truly be closed, but later reopened, as I am about certain parks like Egmont Key. The fragile ecosystem, a healthy home to many wildlife species (pelicans, turtles, etc.), so close to urban areas, could once again become "party islands" without rangers in place, damaging a precious natural habitat.
The proposal isn't "new". Egmont's been on the block for almost three years. I hope we can find the budget to take care of it.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:39 AM   #6

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...While we were in Ft. Myers Bch. 2 wks. ago we walked down to Lovers Key St. Pk. Two bucks a head walk in fee. It's a day use only pk. and home to many birds. I'd sure hate to see this one spoiled and without o'er nite camping it must be on the list!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
lite snack.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:15 PM   #7

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
geeeeesh I live here in Sarasota and I haven't heard that. I guess no matter what they cut to make up for the short fall someone will be upset. To be brutely honest I'm glad that the camping parks are surviving cuz I camp but, I feel for the folks that use the day visit parks. Residents of Florida over age 65 get to camp for 1/2 price and don't need a fishing license to fish and maybe they ought to make some changes there. I'd hate to see it as its a perk we enjoy but it wouldn't keep us from camping or fishing here
Bill MacDermod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:40 PM   #8

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Bill, Worse than closing (and Egmont is close to you), Egmont is platted to revert to "original owners", with or without budget.
I know, I'm heart sick at the closing list, as are many. Maybe we need to add campgrounds at some of the lesser traveled parks? That might do it....
(Not practical, of course, at the island parks like Egmont....)
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:17 PM   #9

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I was surprised reading in the local paper here(Palm Beach County) just how much it costs to operate certain parks and how few visitors they bring in.
It seems the parks in question here are lesser visited ones and mainly because there is no practical way to get more visitors into them.
The eco-system down here is fragile now and the restrictions that places on these certain parks make it tough to rationalize keeping some of them going.

The more I read about it the more sense it makes but it does not make it any less sad.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote