Free camping - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2006, 08:20 PM   #1

Trailer: Hunter Compact II
Just spent the last weekend in Sequoia National Forest. There are many areas to camp free if you like to camp away from the crowds and bring you own water, campfire permit and get off the paved roads. I was at Parker Meadow at 6,300 ft elevation with a small creek nearby, plenty of shade and even a few bugs to share with. The forest service has a website where you can print out maps ahead of the trip. Mike
Attached Thumbnails
PICT0295.jpg  
Mike Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 11:37 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Wow Mike! You are lucky to live so close to one of the nices places one would ever see.

I love Sequoia, but have only stayed in the camprgounds. Are these areas places I could tug the Burro with the Element or are the roads to dicey for my rig?
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Wow Mike! You are lucky to live so close to one of the nices places one would ever see.

I love Sequoia, but have only stayed in the camprgounds. Are these areas places I could tug the Burro with the Element or are the roads to dicey for my rig?
There are many places right along the paved roads. Basicly any wide spot off the road. Upper Peppermint is a dispersed camp area right along the Western Divide Highway with a creek nearby, short drive to the redwoods and close to Dome Rock, Needles Lookout. Check it out on the maps. It's just south of Ponderosa and Quaking Aspen Campground. Lot of free camping right along the upper Kern River above Lake Isabella though it's hot in summer at that low elevation. There is also free camping at Mountain Home State Forest just NorthEast of Springville where you can camp right next to Giant Sequoia trees. These sites all have tables, fire pits, pit toilets and piped water around the camp. There are 3 different campgrounds in the state forest. All this is practicaly in my back yard about a 1 1/2 hour drive. Mike
Old 06-21-2006, 09:53 PM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have seen the sites right on the Kern, and have wandered up the "back" way, but that was in November 2 years ago and the road into Sequoia was already closed.

I have every intention of going back, but I kind of figured summer would be pure hell up there for crowds.

At the time I was not set for long periods of boondocking, but could do so easily now. I'll have to stick that area on my "fall" list. It's only about 3 hours from me.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 09:17 PM   #5

Trailer: 2003 Casita Liberty Deluxe
Mike - I can't located Parker Meadow. What quad is it in on the maps?

Thanks,
Chris
Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 10:46 PM   #6

--><div class='quotemain'>
Mike - I can't located Parker Meadow. What quad is it in on the maps?

Thanks,
Chris
[/quote]
It's in the California Hot Springs Quad. Mike
Old 06-25-2006, 07:03 PM   #7

Trailer: 2003 Casita Liberty Deluxe
Mike - We were already gone when you replied, but thanks! We headed up that way, went through Springville onto 190 east and up to Shake Campground. We had a great time and thanks for the campsite tips. We've always heard that there were places to camp among the sequoias without going into the national park, but just didn't know exactly where.

Shake Campground has only 11 campsites with no hookups and it's free. Not too far away is Hidden Falls where you can take a swim. Being that it was our first time camping in the area, we weren't prepared, but we will be next time. Bug repellent is a must at this time of year.

The drive up is not for anybody who is not very comfortable towing. It's a narrow road with few turnouts, but there aren't many cars on it. I'll post pictures after I download them. We even saw a bobcat crossing the road!

Thanks again,
Chris
Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 05:39 PM   #8

I used to camp in Shake Camp a lot in the old days before they moved the campground to where it is now. It used to be right under the redwood trees just past the pack station. Hidden Falls has a nice trail to the north that follows the river or nearby Moses Gultch has a trail going down river. The water is very cold from snow melt, you won't be long in the water for sure unless you are a polar bear. My favorite camp is Hendrick Pond right under the redwood trees but only a limited numer of sites. The lakes at Balch Park and Hendrick pond are stocked with trout most weeks. For those that don't want to tow a trailer or haul a lot of camp gear, the national forest rents out the old Mountain Home Guard Station cabin with a kitchen and sleeping room for 6. Mike