Frisco campground - Cape Hatteras NS - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2008, 06:49 AM   #1

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
What a great weekend - couldn't have asked for better weather. I wish the Park Service could find some way to keep at least one of their four OBX campgrounds open year round.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0950.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	16145
[attachment=19636:
IMG_0959.jpg]
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0966.jpg   IMG_0959.jpg  

IMG_0969.jpg  
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:46 AM   #2

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot

Thanks for the photos! This is one of my favorite places to be although I have never been there in the fall. Your photos brought a smile to my face.

Charlene
Charlene Urso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:31 PM   #3

We appreciate the kind words Charlene. Between the mountains and the coast, Fall in NC has a lot to offer. You'll just have to come down and visit with us sometime.

The NPS campgrounds at Frisco and Oregon Inlet close next Monday, 10/13 and the one at Ocracoke is open through 10/27. We probably won't make it back to Frisco this year but are planning on being in Ocracoke for their last weekend. I can't promise the weather will be as good as what we're having right now but if anyone wants to get in one more trip to the Outer Banks before winter, come on down.

Also want to add, the campground hosts at Frisco are eggers too. Barry and Connie Blitz (I think I've got the names right) from Ohio in a 17' Casita. They''ve been hosting here for the last several years.

Pics are of one of the Hatteras/Ocracoke ferries and the Hatteras Light.

Al & Cindy

Name:	IMG_0759.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	16161
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0813.jpg  
Old 12-13-2008, 06:01 PM   #4

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
hey al and cindy----can you advise us whether march would be too "iffy" to camp in the outer banks...or even if the campgrounds would have re-opened? last april we were in myrtle beach but this year our vacation is march...and any help you can give would be so appreciated!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:12 PM   #5

There of the four Park Service campgrounds on the OBX open Easter Friday which I think falls on April 10th next year. There should be other campgrounds open in March - I think Camp Hatteras is still open year round and we've camped at Frisco Woods in early March when the NPS campgrounds were still closed. The weather doesn't really settle down until mid to late April; we're usually at Fricso or Ocracoke that opening weekend and have seen snow, high 70's and most everything in between. Still beats staying at home though.

Al & Cindy
Old 12-15-2008, 07:27 AM   #6

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
thanks alot for the info, al and cindy. you are sure right----it beats staying at home!!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:26 AM   #7

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Al, Cindy,

What is the species of the birds is in your photo? I'd like to look it up? I blew up the image only to loose the resolution, its a hobby I have to look up birds if I do not know them so if you could f.y.i me on this it would be great. I am shakey on some east cost species and I cannot peg this one, gull or tern? maybe I should buy a better monitor.

Thanks

Harry

Quote:
What a great weekend - couldn't have asked for better weather. I wish the Park Service could find some way to keep at least one of their four OBX campgrounds open year round.

Attachment 16145
[attachment=19636:
IMG_0959.jpg]
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:46 AM   #8

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
They look like pelicans, going by the beak.

Wow, OBX looks great - really too bad it's closed now or I'd go over the holidays! Thanks for the peek.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:31 PM   #9

I'm pretty sure they're some species of Pelican as Raya said but they differ in plummage from the brown pelican which is more common here. I'll try to remember to ask one of the rangers next time we're there.

Al
Old 12-16-2008, 06:13 AM   #10

Trailer: 95 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft
Raya L, They are indeed Brown Pelicans... Pelecanus occidentalis....... Their plumage changes as they age & during breeding season.. They are fantastic to see up close, stand about 3 to 4 ft. tall.. In the winter months when fishing on the beach they will come right up to you to beg for some fish.. I've even seen them open a cooler & help themselves... ALSO , We are not closed for the season... The park service campgrounds are closed, but there are lots of private ones open all year & most offer reduced prices... Did I mention the Fishing is great this time of year ??? Can you say 42" Stripper & 30 lb. rockfish !!!!! Yesterday was raining off & on with a temp of almost 70*.... Winter is a wonderful time on the Banks, before moving here we vacationed for 35 years & always came in the months of Sept. Oct. or Nov.. For more info. on the park service go to nps.org & look for the Outer banks link.. Or send me a PM & I'll try to answer any question since I live here.... Enjoy & Happy Holidays.... Kenn
kconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:25 AM   #11

Trailer: 95 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft
Found a few pics of them on the beach & when we were fishing in my boat on the ocean & they all came to beg fish & 1 even landed in my boat to get a bite... Enjoy.........

Name:	DSCN0058.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	17198
[att
achment=20884:PhotoPC_...21_AM_11.jpg]
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0062.jpg  
Attached Images

kconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:17 AM   #12

Kenn, thanks for the clarification and the pictures. I had no idea the two different looking birds were actually the same species. And you're right about winter being a great time to visit the OBX; I just wish the Park Service could leave at least one of the campgrounds open year round (preferably Frisco but I'd settle for Ocracoke). It sounds like I need to get you to teach me the art of surf fishing - those would be two great catches! Al
Old 12-16-2008, 12:49 PM   #13

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Thanks for the extra info, Kenn I think I"ll try to come to the OB later this winter then. I like off-season. (The holidays just got claimed by something else.) When the time comes, I'd be glad to be able to PM you for more info. I'm probably about 3-4 hours away, so within weekend striking distance.

The first time I saw pelicans was sailing south just off California. What never fails to get me is their diving style. I mean, it's like their design is the ultimate. They circle in the sky, somehow see their prey from way up there, then dive down on a perfect angle, homing in on a moving fish. It's amazing, and they're like precison machines, all tucked in and streamlined. Then it's like it all comes apart at the last second, because they always hit the water with a big, clumsy "kersplash!" as if something went terribly awry at the end. But no, that's just how they do it Seems to work just great. Still cracks me up though.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote