Gettysburg and Manassas areas - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2016, 06:52 AM   #1

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Gettysburg and Manassas areas

I am looking for recommendations of campgrounds in the Gettysburg and Manassas areas. Electric only sites are fine with us. We are thinking of spending a few 3-4 days at each, in a couple of weeks, before winterizing.

Thanks in advance.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:40 AM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul
SE Pennsylvania
Pine Grove Furnace State Park is a little gem. Small but a very nice little park. It is located at the half-way point on the Appalachian Trail. There is a little museum about the trail. Looks like about a 30-40 min drive to Gettysburg.

Gifford Pinchot State Park is also quite nice. Some sites are next to the lake but you need to reserve them well in advance. About the same distance as Pine Grove.

Codorus State Park is also on a lake. A bit closer than the other two. I have not camped there but have heard that it is very beautiful.

Let us know where you stay.
Craig D. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:52 AM   #3

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
Prince William Forest Park on Rt 234 near Dumfries and Triangle Va
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:55 AM   #4

I have been there often. Never been disappointed at the KOA. If still open for the season You should be more then happy.
Philmay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:07 PM   #5

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Pequea Creek Campground
86 Fox Hollow Rd, Pequea, PA 17565
Pequea Creek Campground - Lancaster County PA Campground

Very nice place.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 02:55 PM   #6

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Try Camp David, in the Catoctin Mountains. I hear it is a real nice place, if you can get past the Secret Service agents...

You may want to see the home of FEMA and the National Fire Academy in Emmitsburg, about 10 miles south of Gettysburg.

Also, the Gettysburg battle site and memorials are very impressive. Went there several times during my many fire service classes at the NFA in Emmitsburg years ago.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:41 PM   #7

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Former Escape 19 owner
Virginia
Registry
For Manassas

Try Bull Run Regional Park .... Nice and clean ....
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:13 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig D. Thompson View Post
Gifford Pinchot State Park is also quite nice. Some sites are next to the lake but you need to reserve them well in advance. About the same distance as Pine Grove.
We stayed at Gifford Pinchot a couple nights before, nice park, halfway between Gettysburg and Hersey. It was early August, no reservations, and we got a site by the lake no problem. That's where this picture was taken:
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:45 PM   #9

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Try Camp David, in the Catoctin Mountains. I hear it is a real nice place, if you can get past the Secret Service agents...

You may want to see the home of FEMA and the National Fire Academy in Emmitsburg, about 10 miles south of Gettysburg.

Also, the Gettysburg battle site and memorials are very impressive. Went there several times during my many fire service classes at the NFA in Emmitsburg years ago.
The last time I would have wanted to join the party at Camp David would have been in the 1980's...

Thank you all for the tips and info, I am digesting it.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:04 PM   #10

Name: Fred
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
I am looking for recommendations of campgrounds in the Gettysburg and Manassas areas. Electric only sites are fine with us. We are thinking of spending a few 3-4 days at each, in a couple of weeks, before winterizing.

Thanks in advance.
We stayed at Artillary Ridge Resort campground in Gettysburg, which was just a stones throw from the Gettysburg Visitor Center.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:47 AM   #11

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Gettysburg KOA is open until the end of this month and is close to the attractions.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:34 AM   #12

Trailer: U-Haul
SE Pennsylvania
Carl, I am quite certain that I have camped at that very site a number of times. Many fabulous sunsets I have experienced there.

Craig T.
Craig D. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 04:11 PM   #13

Colorado
Thank you all for info and tips. This trip will remain on our list a little bit (a few months) longer. The weather turned much colder than expected, so today I winterized an jacked up the Scamp and brought this season to its conclusion. Thanks again.

24 F early morning, on/off wet snow throughout the day in central VT, at about 850' elevation.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:44 AM   #14
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
For future reference, PA state parks close the third Sunday in October for full service camping but some stay open for "primitive" camping into December. You have to check specific parks. We stayed at Hickory Run last Monday night on our way home from the outer banks. No showers or flush toilets but the water was still on and some sites with full hook ups were available. Also some PA parks don't allow dogs and those that do allow dogs limit which sites you can camp at. We got the last "dog site" at Lackawanna state park on our way south.

As for the weather, we have about 3" on snot snow here. Just in from clearing the road of a fallen tree. It's nice to be retired .
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 01:45 PM   #15

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Thank you all for info and tips. This trip will remain on our list a little bit (a few months) longer. The weather turned much colder than expected, so today I winterized an jacked up the Scamp and brought this season to its conclusion. Thanks again.

24 F early morning, on/off wet snow throughout the day in central VT, at about 850' elevation.
Wow...80 and sunny here today. Think I'll stay down here
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 06:52 AM   #16

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post

As for the weather, we have about 3" on snot snow here. Just in from clearing the road of a fallen tree. It's nice to be retired .
This was the scene here yesterday morning. Leaves and snow don't mix well.
Attached Thumbnails
P1020985.jpg   P1020986.jpg