Going to Green Point - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2012, 09:49 AM   #1

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Going to Green Point

I got my reservations on the 15th. I was on the computer in Calgary at 8 AM, (the reservation line opens at 7 AM Pacific time). I guess I was too slow. One minute after 8 AM, the spot I wanted was only available for 5 of the seven days I wanted. I have another spot for the first two days. Both back onto the hill that leads to the beach, so no complaints. The whole calendar was full for those spots by noon.

We are booked to arrive the 5th of July and depart the 13th. The first two days in campsite 80 the balance in 69.

The kids are out of their minds excited about being right on the beach for a week.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Good for you and you will post pics of your camping experience... won't you
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:29 AM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
The Report

Got back from Green point. I was finally able to sit down an write it up.

July 3: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...eel-53227.html

July 4: While limping into Creston, the engine of our van was revving high, but we were not making any power. It turns out that we also lost our fuel pump, (same as last year, but in a different van) $1050 touch.

July 5: Waiting for the pump to come in we were able to explore Creston, thanks to the GM dealership in town renting us a Dodge Caravan. Unfortunately, we never made it to the brewery. They had us on the road by around 2pm. Some where between Creston and Cultis Lake, the belly band started comming off on the drivers side. No big concern, since i plan to remove it any way. Camped out in a parking lot near Cultis Lake campground, 20 minuets to lights out. A big part of the plan with the RV set-up I have was to be able to pull into any parking lot, or rest stop and put us all to bed. In this regard, it is a total success.

July 6: Had planned to meet up with Fred and Natalie (freddo411) on the fourth of July at Cultis Lake camp ground, but we did not make it there till the morning of the sixth. Thankfully, they were still there. I bought a bunch of parts that they no longer needed. We got on the ferry, no line-ups. The door popped open on the way across Vancouver Island. The middle screw had come out on the frame side of the top hinge. The door was now sagging so much that any big bump and the latch slipped below the striker plate. This continued to happen as long as we drove. My wife used a bungee cord hooked to the closet to keep it shut. By about midnight on the 6th we were at our campsite. Someone else had occupied our spot. The rule for federal campgrounds is that if your don't show by 11am the day after you are scheduled to be there, your site is gone, unless you make other arraignments with the campground. We did leave voice mails that we were coming, but we never were able to talk to anyone. So, I did not pursue it. I was clearly in violation of the rules. Thankfully we had a completely different reservation for the following night at a different campsite in the same campground. What can I say, the reservation system confused me, I ended up not being to get the site I wanted for the whole time we were going to be there, and at two minuets after the website started taking reservations, the sites were filling up. With a reservation waiting, I was feeling like a genius, at this point..

July 7 to 12: It turns out that the voice mails that we left, with the camp ground, were received and the people in our site did not have permission to set up there. The campground people collected the fee for the site, and credited our account. Once we set up it was pretty uneventful, other then losing 12VDC power to the trailer. This was traced, the next day, to a flakey crimp connection. Some solder and heat shrink and we had lights again. The Green point camp ground is very nice, but their are no showers! I have never been to a campground with no showers before. Wya Point Surf Shop is a nice surfer haven just outside the park, at the Ucluelet end. They have reasonable pay showers, and my kids loved the onion rings too. We stopped in there a few times.
There were quite a few fiberglass trailers at Green Point. I saw two Escape trailers, a Bigfoot 17 and a Bigfoot 19, there was even a Trillium 4500, but since they turned around and left, they must not have had reservations. They had an air conditioner on the top, and their roof was clearly sagging. Our last night was my birthday party. My wife had located a flat of fudge brownies and some birthday candles at the Coop in Ucluelet. We had an extra large fire and laughed our heads off. Earlier that evening, a commercial truck set up camp in the site beside us. Around midnight the people who reserved the site showed up. They were clearly not happy to have someone sleeping in their site, (the three bears come to mind). After a good deal of yelling, the claim hopper moved on. I get the impression that this happens often. I did notice that some sites were unoccupied occasionally. I guess some people just roll the dice and hope the intended occupant doesn't show.

July 13: When we left on July 12, we made it to Kamloops before We packed it in. Once again, no wait for the ferry. The ferry cost $230 each way. Maybe that was why there was no wait. I had noticed that the trailer was acting weird, so I stopped in at a closed truck scale before the Coquihalla Highway. The parts that I bought from Fred, were sitting on my cargo platform on the back of the trailer. I guess they had tipped the center of gravity back too far. I was 1260 kg on the axle, and only 80 kg on the tongue. I filled up our water containers and put them under the gaucho. When we left we had 110 on the tongue. Still not enough, but the trailer was much better behaved.

July 14: Kamloops to Calgary. Home by dinner.
Attached Thumbnails
Attach 19.jpg   Attach 20.jpg  

Attach 21.jpg   Attach 22.jpg  

Attach 24.jpg  
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:44 AM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Boy, what a trip. I bet you are glad to be home, to relax.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:15 AM   #5

Trailer: Trillium
Registry
Thanks for sharing your trip with us. I've driven (with my 1300 Trill in tow) through the area you described and loved it.

Great pics too.
Noreen Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:59 AM   #6

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Loved your trip description, certainly sounds like it was eventful!
Green point is magical but as you pointed out the only thing missing is the showers. The ferry prices certainly make you think twice about going to the Island frequently.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote