Governor Dodge State Park, WI - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #1

Name: Nancy
Trailer: Acorn
Wisconsin
Governor Dodge State Park, WI

Our Last Camping trip of the season. Governor Dodge State Park, WI. Beautiful park, trees were gorgeous, and the park was almost empty. Great hiking trails, nice campground, two lakes, a waterfall, cliffs, and we saw TWO Bald Eagles. The only drawback was the TICKS. If you camp with your doggie, and plan to visit this park - make sure you use your Frontline or equivalent. I was pulling ticks off of the dog by the dozens . . . and I got nailed a couple of times too . . . went to the Doc for antibiotic megadose cure (which needs to be taken within 72 hours of bite to stave off Lymes disease)
Attached Thumbnails
gov. dodge oct 2013  nikon 019.jpg   gov. dodge oct 2013  nikon 008.jpg  

gov. dodge oct 2013 030.jpg   gov. dodge oct 2013 068.jpg  

NancyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #2

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Thanks for sharing these beautiful photos in such a lovely place! Love it, glad you saw the Bald Eagles! WOW!
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Nice pictures and report. I have wanted to go to that park to use as base for my Czech ancestor search.

I don't like my northern ticks, could I transport mine to add to yours?

Hope you can go to the Door County gathering in June. Don't think we have had an Acorn attend before.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Looks like a great place to visit in autumn. Nice photos.

What is it with the ticks, anyway? DW and I were talking, and neither of us recall any worry about ticks whatsoever when we were growing up in mid Michigan. I don't think there were any ticks around that part of the upper midwest, back in the '60s and '70s. Am I wrong? We used to be all over the woods as kids, with never a tick bite and no thought of seeing them.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:22 PM   #5

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17' Casita SD
Wisconsin
Only 2 eagles??? I visit the park often and eagles are a draw. Glad you loved it if in the area again try Wyalusing State Park, only a few miles north and just as scenic.
yyyyyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:20 PM   #6

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Mike,

I don't remember being bothered by ticks in the 70's either. When we got one it was not a big deal, just pulled it off.

There are so many more deer here in Northern MN than there were then, and the some of the ticks they drop off carry several diseases.

It is not fun to have a tick born illness. My husband had knee surgery and developed a high fever. Took him to ER thinking infection. He was shaking off the table. It was a tick disease. He recovered from the knee and tick.

If one finds the tick early and gets rid of it it is not a problem. If one of the ticks stays attached for more than 24 hours it can be a problem. The variety of tick that carries the disease is pretty darn small and not always found easily as the larger variety.

Oh, a side note. With the antibiotic of choice one can easily get sunburned. we drove cross country once when Fred was on the antibiotic. He never has had sun burn like he had on his hands from holding the steering wheel all day.

Beware of ticks when you are in the north woods. areas of WI and MN are pretty bad, I don't know the situation with MI.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:07 AM   #7

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17' Casita SD
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyyyyguy View Post
Only 2 eagles??? I visit the park often and eagles are a draw. Glad you loved it if in the area again try Wyalusing State Park, only a few miles north and just as scenic.
Sorry, I was thinking of Nelson Dewey park when you were talking about Gov. Dodge, Dewey is on the Mississippi which always means more eagles around here. Loved your pictures too.
yyyyyguy is offline   Reply With Quote