Grand Canyon, AZ - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2009, 07:57 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Registry
For those of you that are already snowbound, I thought that I would tell you about my adventure to the Grand Canyon last week. I had an absolutely wonderful time there hiking, sight seeing, and just plain relaxing. The lows were in the upper 20's and daytime highs were in the low 60's and lots of sunshine too. The purpose of this trip was to hike into the canyon to Plateau Point (12.2 miles roundtrip) which I accomplished in about 8.5 hours. The views were spectacular from every which way. I also hiked the paved rim trails from the lodge to an east canyon viewpoint and back (about 5 hours worth). I also seen lots of wildlife this trip.....a bull and cow elk, many deer, condors, rattlesnake, and some big horn sheep (and many little critters too.

Anyway, here are some pictures of Mather Campground (no hook ups, there are flush toilets and water available). My sight is the larger ones there which is a 27 foot pull through. Each sight has a table and fire ring and room for tents too. Rates are $18. a night, which is a bargain for being in the park and very near the canyon. Showers and a dump station are available near the entrance to the campground. Showers are $2. for an eight minute shower (worth it after an 8 hour hike!). Enjoy the pics folks and sweet camping dreams til you are out and about again in your own!

Note the large buck near my camper........he came back each night about sunset too.
Attached Thumbnails
Grand_Canyon___09_003.JPG   Grand_Canyon___09_095.JPG  

Chris L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:00 PM   #2

Registry
Opps.........here is the shot of the deer by my camper/campsight.
Attached Thumbnails
Grand_Canyon___09_001.JPG  
Old 10-13-2009, 08:03 PM   #3

Registry
Here are a few shots around the canyon.
Attached Thumbnails
Grand_Canyon___09_004.JPG   Grand_Canyon___09_015.JPG  

Grand_Canyon___09_016.JPG  
Old 10-13-2009, 08:03 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Very nice.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:06 PM   #5

Registry
Here are some pictures from Plateau Point in the canyon. It is a very recognizable point in any pics of the Grand Canyon. It was a challenging hike and yes, I would do it again in a heartbeat!
Attached Thumbnails
Grand_Canyon___09_056.JPG   Grand_Canyon___09_037.JPG  

Grand_Canyon___09_039.JPG  
Old 10-13-2009, 08:09 PM   #6

Registry
Here are some pics of my treat on the rim trails.........big horn sheep. I have never seen one in person, let alone 5 of them. They were pretty preoccupied with eating at the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Grand_Canyon___09_077.JPG   Grand_Canyon___09_085.JPG  

Grand_Canyon___09_086.JPG  
Old 10-13-2009, 08:10 PM   #7

Registry
One more of the really big horn sheep.
Attached Thumbnails
Grand_Canyon___09_089.JPG  
Old 10-13-2009, 08:13 PM   #8

Registry
And finally, a few shots of the Scamp on east drive of the Grand Canyon (headed toward Desert View). Thanks for taking the time to look at the pictures. Again, I sure enjoyed my trip there and hope that the pics may motivate some of you to visit the Grand Canyon, and hike on into it too to really take in its granduer. Happy camping folks.
Attached Thumbnails
Grand_Canyon___09_101.JPG   Grand_Canyon___09_102.JPG  

Grand_Canyon___09_103.JPG  
Old 10-13-2009, 08:27 PM   #9

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Wow.... I feel like i just went on a mini-vacation. Those pics where really good and we really need to get out there to the Grand Canyon.....
You have to feel really good after hiking and seeing that in person
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:33 PM   #10

Registry
Thank you. Yes, it is a very great feeling to complete a day long hike and to experience God's beauty and Mother Nature up close and personal. Having my fiberglass palace to retreat to was the best part after a full day!
Old 10-13-2009, 08:59 PM   #11

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
Note the large buck near my camper..
Oh Deer.

I still haven't gone to the Canyon! You may have motivated me to!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:15 PM   #12

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Wow, beautiful. So many photos of the Grand Canyon look so flat; that is, you know it's vast, but the photos just don't convey it somehow. Yours do I love the first shot in post #3 in the thread. And the bighorn sheep are amazing.

Thankfully I finally scrolled on down to your second post, because I was having a heck of a time finding the buck in those first two

On your Scamp: First, "Taj-mah-small" Then, too, I really like the idea of a second (rear) window cover that you can cover with stickers, and etc. Fun!
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:45 AM   #13

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Great pics - thanks for posting.

Al & Cindy
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:20 AM   #14

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Thanks for posting Chris. We were at the Grand Canyon this summer as well. Before getting to the Grand Canyon we visited Bryce and Zion, which really helps anyone planning a visit to get some perspective at the GC.

We stayed close to Mather at the Trailer Village, not great but pleasant, and close to the shuttle service. (which we took advantage of everyday) The hookup was nice after whole (5) days spent around the rim of the canyon and at the multitude of visitor centers.

What I found interesting was that reservations were not needed where ever we went. There was an abundance of vacancies at all three canyons this year.
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:59 AM   #15

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Brings back memories of our 2006 trip. Gee that looks like the same campsite but didn't take any pictures of it. We loved it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00431__Medium_.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	24273
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:38 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Wonderful posting, Chris - thanx for sharing all your neat experiences and great pics. We loved Mather and plan to go back ... and we LOVE our Sr. discount rate, too!
Take care, L 'n D
Old 10-15-2009, 07:56 PM   #17

Registry
Thank you all for the kind words. I had such a great time there that I just had to share some of it. Raya, I have had the window cover on the back of my Scamp for about 15 years already (my 17th anniversary with it is the end of the month). Some of the stickers have been on there for that amount of time too, the others get changed as needed. The window covers sure help keep the sunlight out and saves the curtains, and lots more privacy at night, and makes a great window awning when propped open. Chris
Old 10-16-2009, 12:53 AM   #18

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
For an excellent report and photos. It looks like it was the same campground http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/cg-sr.htm my daughter & her husband tent camped at a year ago (March). The Big Horned Sheep you saw were really neat. Makes me want to go back again and camp there. Thanks.

2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:37 PM   #19

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
We stayed in Trailer Village on Labor Day weekend two years ago and really had a great time. Our 9yo thinks the big Park Buffet at Trailer Village is one of the best restaurants he's ever eaten in. Go figure!

The Canyon has a spell it casts on you and it will draw you back many times once you go. Back in the early 80's and 90's I led many groups down in the interior and we covered just about all the trails and approved camping areas in the "big ditch." After seeing Chris post on his Canyon adventure I'm gettin the itch again.

Nice trip report Chris.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:37 AM   #20

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Quote:
Our 9yo thinks the big Park Buffet at Trailer Village is one of the best restaurants he's ever eaten in. Go figure!
Our kids (much older) liked the buffet too! For the free wifi... I was surprised as hell when I saw swordfish on the menu!

If there's enough interest, Mather would be one heck of a place to have a National Egg Meet some year!
Attached Thumbnails
stone.jpg   tower.jpg  

Time K is offline   Reply With Quote