Grandkids First time Camping - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-10-2007, 08:16 PM   #1

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro
Over the Memorial Day Weekend, my daughter (Sarah) brought my 2 grandkids camping for the first time. Sarah grew up camping but has not camped since getting married 6 years ago, her husband hates it. He recently decided that he doesn't like being married either.

Sarah and the kids stayed in my pop-up with another one of our daughters and her friends and I used my Love Bug. The kids had a blast, running around, getting dirty, playing in the woods and generally just being outdoor kids. The littlest one is only 17 months old but she tried to keep up with her brother and they both were totally worn out every night. They slept like rocks and woke up the next day ready to start over. Sarah was not sure how they would react to camping but it turns out that they liked it so much that they did not want to leave on Monday afternoon. Sammy hid in the camper and told his mom that he doesn't like living in town any more, he wants to camp forever. (My kind of kid.) Sarah (daughter) was trying not to cry but she said that she missed all of the family time outdoors.

I just got off the phone with Sarah and she asked to use my Love Bug to "camp" in my back yard next week with the kids. She wants to see how to use the camper and relearn how to use Coleman stoves & lanterns and how to get the Love Bug ready to use. Next month she wants to go to Devils Lake State Park (10 miles away) and try it for a couple of days on her own. If I get the grandkids interested in the outdoors by just loaning out my camper, it is an easy decision to let them use it. I am now in the market for another Fiberglass basket case to repair for the kids and grandkids.

Our back yard is not really normal. Even though we live only 7 miles from town, we have deer, bobcats, coyotes, hawks, owls, pheasants, and even eagles. Last winter a couple of wolves were seen just across the Wisconsin River which is only about 4 miles away.

I have been praying that I could get Sarah and her kids to go camping. My prayers have been answered. PTL
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 08:33 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Trillium
What a great story (except the part about the flakey husband)! Thanks for sharing. I am guessing prayers like those will be answered pretty quickly, I have a feeling you'll find just the right "fixer upper" before you know it. This sounds like something my Dad would have done for me.......
Sharon Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 08:53 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Wow, Bob, what a terrific story of a healing experience filled with love and joy! Thank goodness for answered prayers, eh? Wishing you success in your search for another project Egg, and many years of happy camping times with those grandchildren. We are biding our time until our two are old enough for EggVentures.
Take care - L 'n D
Old 06-10-2007, 11:19 PM   #4

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
I am a single mom with two kids, ages 16 and 18. I have tent-camped with them for the last 13 years. I think that our best memories are of road trips and campgrounds all over the western states. Camping with your kids is one of the best gifts parents can give (I think it's the gift of time) and I'm glad your daughter is recognizing that sooner rather than later. Bless you for taking the time to help her in her endeavor. So sorry about the husband. I had one of them too.
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:53 AM   #5
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Sammy hid in the camper and told his mom that he doesn't like living in town any more, he wants to camp forever.
A full-timer in the making.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:52 PM   #6

Trailer: 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia
A hint for anyone thinking of getting married - if they dont' like camping, dump them! I have always found that camping brings out the best and the worst in people. And, if it is the worst, dump them now.
Jan Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:14 AM   #7

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro

I agree with Jan. The ex "LOVED" camping, right up to the wedding day. She refused to go after that because it was "nasty." Why would a person lie about something like that? She knew that I was not the hotel kind of guy. Needless to say, she was not around long enough to help wear out the tent that I bought before we were married.
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:28 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:

I agree with Jan. The ex "LOVED" camping, right up to the wedding day. She refused to go after that because it was "nasty." Why would a person lie about something like that? She knew that I was not the hotel kind of guy. Needless to say, she was not around long enough to help wear out the tent that I bought before we were married.
I know of this story happening several times. One wonders "What were they thinking?"