Habitat for Humanity Care-a-Vanners - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2015, 04:30 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
Habitat for Humanity Care-a-Vanners

If you are looking for an excuse to visit different parts of the country with your trailer, you might consider Habitat for Humanity’s RV Care-A-Vanner program. Here’s an excerpt from their website, www.habitat.org/rv.
RV Care-A-Vanners is a volunteer program for anyone who travels in a recreational vehicle, wants to build Habitat houses and have fun doing it. RV Care-A-Vanners welcomes people of all ages, from all walks of life who want to pick up a hammer and help change lives.
There are ample opportunities to learn and plenty of meaningful work for everyone. No previous construction experience is necessary!”
We did two 2-week “builds” with them while in Florida this past winter.The first was in Sebring right after attending Scamp Camp and the other in Vero Beach. There were several other builds throughout Florida and numerous in other states. The program provides affordable ($12 Sebring, $5 Vero) campsites. Most builds have 12-14 volunteers who work 5 twelve-hour days each week. Volunteers vary from highly to minimally skilled; all have a desire to help others.
Care-a-Vanner crews work under the supervision local habitat affiliate employees. In Sebring, we started out with 5 couples and 2 single women. At Vero Beach, there were 4 couples, 3 women, and 2 men. Most evenings we got together for happy hour where we shared snacks and brought our own beverages. Between the workday and the happy hour, we soon developed comradery.
Most volunteers had large trailers or motorhomes. One woman shared her Casita 16 with a cat and a large dog. She was on her 40th build over the past eight years. We plan to do more Care-a-Vanning soon.
Stretcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:32 PM   #2

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Thanks for reminding me of Care a Vanners. I chanced to see a video on TV about it. This actually might be the video I saw. Enjoy!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:54 PM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
SIX-HOUR DAYS, not twelve-hour!!!

Please excuse my poor editing. We worked SIX-HOUR DAYS, not twelve-hour!!!
Stretcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:30 PM   #4

Name: Joan
Trailer: currently shopping
Oregon
I was wondering about that...
jfocallag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:52 PM   #5

Name: Nancy & Dan
Trailer: Casita
Michigan
What a great idea! I had never heard about this opportunity.
Nancy from MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:06 PM   #6

Name: Stan
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull #63
Virginia
I am on the "Faith Build" committee for Habitat in Lawrence, KS. I brought this up at last months meeting, and we may consider that for our build next year. Sounds like a pretty neat deal.
Stan and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote