Half Moon Bay State Beach, CA - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-19-2012, 09:33 PM   #1

Name: Teri
Trailer: Casita looking for, currently have a RoadTrek
California
Registry
Half Moon Bay State Beach, CA

Just got back from a 2 night trip to Half Moon Bay on the California Coast (just south of SF for non-Californians). Nice campground, a little pricey but CA State Parks need the funds, no hook-ups but just off the beach. You can hear the surf as you bed down for the evening.

Needless to say the Trailswest Campster brought some folks over, or sometimes just stares. It was our second trip out. Getting the kinks out and systems organized.

Had a great time and only had to drive 45 minutes from home to enjoy a lovely couple of days at the beach. Oh, we spent last night watching dolphins play in the surf at sunset! What could be better!

Lots of fun. Looking forward to more trips this summer and the future. On the books so far, Tuolomne Meadows, Napa, Anza-Borrega (November). Looking forward to lots of camping fun.
teri85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:36 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Half Moon Bay State Beach, CA

Glad you had a fun time... but CA has plenty of Park money now =
Hidden California state parks funds spark outrage - State of the State Parks - The Sacramento Bee
Steve & Terri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:18 PM   #3

Name: Robert and Laura
Trailer: September 2012: New proud owners of a 2010 Casita SD
California
Hi,
We were out for the first time this week with our Casita. Went to Crystal Cove Moro Campgrounds Laguna Beach area, southern California. Nice!
let us know if you've been to Yosemite & area - and if you can recommend any campgrounds there. We would love to head up there. Next stop is Silver Strand in San Diego.
Robert and Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:07 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
One possibility for Yosemite, at least until Rt 120 closes through Tioga Pass, is to stay in Lee Vining. You can visit Mono Lake & Bodie Ghost Town, both interesting stops. While it is a bit longer haul to Yosemite than the west side parks, the pass is a pretty drive.

There are boodocking locations around Mono Lake as well as nearby Forest Service campgrounds and a full service campground in Lee Vining - Mono Vista RV Park. RV Park Reviews for Lee Vining.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:18 PM   #5

California
Registry
Our first trip in the Campster was to Yosemite Valley in April. We stayed in North Pines campground. It had been years since we camped in the Valley and it was nice to be in the trailer. We also went to Sequoia Kings Canyon NP in August. Stayed in the Dorst Campground there. Had a wonderful time too.

It has been a long time since I did much camping on the eastern side of the Sierra but it is beautiful over there. I figure anywhere I am camping in CA is going to be a treat. Feel very lucky to live in this area.

Coming up, next weekend in Wawona, southern end of Yosemite NP, Half Moon Bay again in October, a local campground then 5 days in Anza-Borrega State Park at Thanksgiving.

Getting out and enjoying nature with the Campster!

Teri
Old 09-23-2012, 08:47 AM   #6

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Freedom Deluxe 1998
You may want to give Mt. Diablo State Park a try, also. The campground near the summit (I think it is Juniper Campground) has spectacular views, easy access hiking trails, and feels remote and quiet from the surrounding Bay Area. Boondocking only, great for a weekend adventure.

Bret.
Bret Tresidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:25 PM   #7

Name: Robert and Laura
Trailer: September 2012: New proud owners of a 2010 Casita SD
California
Thank you for all the responses...I don't know how you felt when you first had your trailer but we are going nuts and want to go everywhere simultaneously. LOL. Wawona sounds good....been there often...but stayed at the Lodge.
Robert and Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:10 PM   #8

Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
Teri,Check out San Diego County Parks (Aqua Caliente). We had a small rally there in the spring and hubby & I will be going back for Thanksgiving weekend. Very well maintained park, very resonable price, and hot mineral pool.
RRIZZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #9

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Interesting you should post about Half Moon Bay campground. I recently purchased my Scamp and decided Half Moon Bay would be he destination for my maiden voyage. I haven't stayed there but it looks great. There's a wonderful campground a little farther down the coast called Sea Cliff. There are sites with hookups and its right on the beach. I stayed there several years ago. The problem with Yosemite campgrounds is that they start closing in Oct because of the weather. They still have a couple open in Oct, but they're often so muddy, it's not a great experience. There's so many wonderful campgrounds in CA, you'll love seeking them out. There seems to be quite a few No. CA FGRV Campers. Would anyone be interested in a little Rally in the spring?
Linda
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #10

California
Registry
Rosemary, thanks for the tip about Aqua Caliente. I will add that to our list of destinations.

Last weekend I was in Wawona Campground and had a very nice time. Nice campground and the sites were easy to pull into, not to much backing needed. Made me happy.

It was a full moon so on Saturday night went up to Glacier Point for a wonderful evening view of the Sierra by moonlight.

Love living in California!