Have you visited Baxter State Park? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-02-2014, 09:02 AM   #1

Name: Glenn
Trailer: Escape 19
Ohio
Have you visited Baxter State Park?

We are planning a trip to Maine in early September and would like to visit Baxter State Park. I'm having a hard time determining if the Escape 19 is allowed in to the park. If not, are there other recommended places to camp near by? Any other Maine campgrounds you would recommend? Hookups are not a priority.
SeldomSeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:10 PM   #2

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
I've tent camped and stayed in the rustic cabins of Baxter State Park, but that was long long ago. What I remember is old Gov Baxter owned the entire area back in the 19th century and gave it to the State Of Maine, but with the proviso that it never be improved.

It is the most wonderful, pristine, amazingly beautiful place to camp, a true throwback to an age long gone. No electricity, water is hand-pumped from the lakes and wells, no paved roads, no wide roads. Baxter is huge and unmatched anywhere in the east, and the trails usually take you to wonderful big rock streams.

Well that was 40 years ago. Have no clue if the State has continued to honor Gov Baxter's terms. I hope so. Would they let your 19 in there? No idea. Does Maine have a website for Baxter? (Go anyway. There's always a campsite someplace around Millinocket.)
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:07 AM   #3

Ohio
Baxter is managed separately from the other Maine State Parks, and is intended to
provide a wilderness experience. (Other than roads and a few other improvements.)

The Escape 19 is 9' at the highest point of the air conditioner, and 7' wide. Those are the Baxter size limits (length limit is 22' with a total rig length of 45'). So with the F-150 we would be 5' short of the max size. We hope to give it a try . If not, like you say, we will find someplace close by to camp. After a few days on the coast, I'll be ready for the quiet of Baxter.

If I can't fit, that's fine with me. We need more places like this. There are plenty of places to park a big RV.

Glenn
Old 10-04-2014, 06:53 PM   #4

Ohio
Baxter State Park Trip Report

Now I can answer my own question! Yes. We have been to Maine’s Baxter State Park. It’s not for everybody, but it was perfect for us. We visited the north end of the park, in the south is the famous Mount Katahdin the northern terminus of the Appalachian Trail. We had camped for the previous 4 days at Acadia NP so Baxter was very different.

At the north entrance gate the ranger looked us over and asked the height of the Escape 19. I said 8’11” at the top of the A/C unit, and she said that was a good answer having turned larger campers away that did not take the A/C in to account. At 19.5’ and 7’ wide the Escape just fits. I was warned by the park before I left home that a dually pickup truck would not be allowed in. It was different being the largest trailer in the campground instead of one of the smallest!

You can see in the picture of the Tote Road why they don't allow big rigs. Its the main road and handles 2 way traffic in the park. It was originally built for horsedrawn wagons, and updated for cars and trucks by the CCC in the 1930s. Overhanging tree branches are the norm, so this photo shows an unusually open part of the road.

Baxter is as close as you can get to a drive in wilderness area. There are no stores or services, hookups, or even drinking water. There are nice campgrounds in beautiful surroundings with canoe rentals and firewood on the honor system, miles and miles of hiking trails, lakes streams and mountains. Reservations are required.

If you like to camp in a quiet place where generators are outlawed, and radios are not welcome if your neighbor can hear them, then check out Baxter State Park. We stayed seven miles from the north gate at South Branch Pond where challenging trails leave right from the campground and the pond is a joy to paddle.

Glenn and Candy
Attached Thumbnails
1 bsb signsmall .jpg   2 tote1 small.jpg  

3 bsp canoe dock.jpg   4 bsp black cat.jpg  

5 bsp trail head.jpg   6 bsp site 20.jpg  

10 BSP Black Cat Trail stairs.jpg   15 BSP steep.jpg  

20 BSB Candy high.jpg  
Old 10-05-2014, 06:32 AM   #5

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeldomSeen View Post
It was different being the largest trailer in the campground instead of one of the smallest! Glenn and Candy
Outstanding! Looks like a great place, I will put it on the list. It is posts like this that reinforce my notion that I want an Escape 19 for my retirement rig.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:56 AM   #6

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Great post, Glenn and Candy! You got my heart pounding for a return. If we are ever back that way the only thing to stop us is the no pets allowed rule. Bummer that. We bring Ben everywhere when we travel.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote