Heading to Alaska - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-29-2011, 03:43 PM   #15
Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I'll respond to this. In 2006 the road was great until the Yukon. So Yes, you can make very good time through British Columbia. But, you've got to slow down through the Yukon that's where there are lots of frost heaves. In '06 the road was hard packed gravel/roadbase just north of Kluane Lake for about 200 to 300 miles, nearly to the Alaska border. I would doubt it's any different today.

The following is what the highway was most of British Columbia, narrowing in the northern portion. My recollection is that it remained good all the way to Whitehorse, Yukon.
Attached Thumbnails
6-12-2006 Alaska highway just amazing better than CA roads.JPG  

Joy A. & Lily
and "Puff", too
No. Ca. Sierra Foothills
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:17 PM   #16
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
We stay at Cottonwood Campground on Klaune Lake (some 42 miles long).

Panoramio - Photo of Mum and Cubs at Cottonwood Park, Kluane Lake, Yukon

honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:30 PM   #17
Name: Becky
Trailer: Scamp 19 Foot 5th Wheel
Road condition

The Alaska highway is advertised as being paved and I'm sure that it has been paved, but there is constant repair due to the harsh weather conditions of winter. There were many miles of gravel and there were many heaves, potholes, bumps. I have no idea what MPH we averaged. Our maximum speed is 55 MPH which is what we think is a safe speed for towing our 16 foot Scamp. Even at that "slow" pace, we did pass a few people.

Today we are in Denali National Park campground. We obtained a site for two nights when we arrived yesterday. They were totally full last night so we stayed at a nearby private campground, but will be in the park tonight and tonorrow night. Tomorrow we will take an 11 hour round trip bus ride to Wonder Lake in Denali.
beckyruns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:15 PM   #18
Name: reinhold
Trailer: 2000 17 ft Burro Widebody (bought in Ohio. towed home Spring 2009!)
Welcome to Alaska! I noticed no new updates here, but did see your current activity at your blog site. Sounds like you're enjoying your stay so far.

Also noticed your recent sale ad here (and older ads) for your Scamp. If your asking price is reasonable here, there is -no- reason at all you should not be able to sell it here before you leave. Generally, FGRVs are expensive and/or hard to come by here (I actually went all the way to Ohio to get my Burro) and they tend to sell quickly if in fair shape at a good price.

Since you plan to be in the Anchorage area for a little while there are lots of great trails for running/hiking. If the weather turns inclement be sure to check out the sports dome (welcome to the Alaska Dome) - you can run indoors year round...

There are a few of us on this site from AK, feel free to ask any questions. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

edit: I did see your ad on Craigslist locally from July 9 at asking price of $15,000. Be sure to renew/refresh the ad when you get into town. Also if having trouble still with the pictures I can help with that if you want. Pictures do make the difference sometimes.
reinhold m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:26 PM   #19
Name: Sharon
Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Awesome photo, Norm.
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:05 PM   #20
Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
anyone have Becky's facebook page. she said more photos are on there. Thanks.

Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote