Heading West - Summer 2013 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #1

Name: William
Trailer: Scamp
Lakeville, CT
Heading West - Summer 2013

Longest trip yet for our '16 Scamp. We left Connecticut on June 12th and should make it to Bryce Canyon sometime today for a three week stay. Then we head to Portland, OR for a physics teacher's conference and then back down to Zion NP for another three weeks. I'll be volunteering at the national parks as a night sky ranger of sorts.

Only trouble we've had so far is the fridge won't stay lit. Even while holding down the gas button after lighting it peters out. After we set up camp ill take the burned assy apart and clean it. I suspect that's it.
biw314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:15 PM   #2

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
If the flame goes out after holding the button in for the proper time you probably need a new thermocouple.
They are easy to change and very generic.
Most hardware stores should have what you need.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:52 PM   #3

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
William,
I hope you get your refer all worked out. We just returned from a 2 week trip from San Diego to Portland and back in our 16' Scamp. We stayed at Ainsworth State Park out in the Columbia River gorge. It was very peaceful and had great shady trees. The park does not accept reservations, so if arriving mid week there should be no problem getting a site. The rangers are friendly there. Last September we passed through Zion on the way to Moab. No government campsites were available, so we stayed at a private campground in town. We got a river front site that was nice. That was the first time being turned away at Zion in the last 20 years. Have a fun time!
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:52 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Have a safe, fun trip. If you get some extra time one day, head a few miles west to Red Canyon and hike the Arches Trail. That was my favorite spot over that way on the trip I took there 3 summers ago.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:16 PM   #5

Name: Lisa VPC
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Michigan
Ooooooooo....envious! When I lived out West I enjoyed so much visiting the State and National Parks. Of course, that's when I was tent camping, too! Would love to go back now we have our trailer!

Zion is BREATHTAKING! We were heading to Bryce and figured we might as well stop at Zion, too. Well, it absolutely took our breath away! Enjoy!!!

We are heading to San Diego Saturday for an overdue visit with friends and family. Flying this time, but dreaming of the day we can take our Trilly

Lisa VPC
LisaVPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:41 AM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Just east of Bryce on Rt 12 is Kodachrome State park. Campground sits in a small canyon. Very nice. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:45 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester
Registry
Propane fridge not lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by biw314 View Post
Only trouble we've had so far is the fridge won't stay lit. Even while holding down the gas button after lighting it peters out. After we set up camp ill take the burned assy apart and clean it. I suspect that's it.
I had problems lighting our Dometic fridge on propane the first few times because normally we had used it on electric power. Things to try:
  • Make sure there is propane at the fridge -- light the stove to check -- if the propane has been turned off it may take a while for the fridge to get propane as it uses very little
  • Hold the button in long enough after pressing -- I use a count of about 20
  • Repeat the previous step a few times -- you should hear a "pop" when the propane lights
Old 06-20-2013, 09:16 AM   #8

Lakeville, CT
All is well at Bryce so far. They put us up in a nice small spot with other volunteers and employees overlooking the horse stables. My twin 5 yo daughters love to feed and pet the horses and have names for many of them. Luckily the prevailing winds push the smell away from us. We have full hook ups which is a rare treat. The weather has been lovely which highs in the low 80s but it really cools down at night so I need to get in the habit of turning the fridge down (or maybe off) when we go to sleep.

Night sky has been perfect. Literally did not see a cloud yesterday.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #9

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Bryce is amazing as are the 5 National Parks in Utah we visited last month in 3 weeks. (Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands, Capital Reef and Arches). I've attached some photos taken in Bryce. The park is known for it's wondrous formations called Hoodoos. The last photo is of the Tower Bridge formation. It looks like the Tower of London, no? It's one of many hikes that take you through Bryce's magical lands. The hike into the Hoodoos from Sunrise is outstanding! Note: In the junior Ranger book (back cover) they have a "Hike the Hoodoos" page wherein you take a rubbing at special benchmark panels you'll encounter along the way on this and other hikes. I recommend that you bring a pencil to make the rubbings AND a camera to take photos of your children at the panels. There is at least one panel that does not have a medallion to rub. The park rangers will give you a very special "I hiked the Hoodoos" badge if you can prove you went to at least 3 panels!

I'm sure your 5 year old twins will enjoy participating in the Junior Ranger programs at the National Parks you visit. When I go to the National Parks I like to pick up the Junior Ranger booklets for myself. I am 62 years young and I always have a delightful talk with the rangers when I pick up the booklet. If you submit the booklet, having finished the assignments, you can get a Junior Ranger badge. I mostly just get the booklets to learn about the park, not to get the badge. The booklets range from a few pages with very simple activities (Arches NP) to tomes with very difficult activities (Bryce Canyon NP). Note: I still have not finished the section called "Tree Rings Reveal the Past". Of course, the booklets are created so children can complete age-appropriate activities. EVERYONE is asked to keep the park clean by picking up litter.

I envy you, your trip, as our experience was OUTSTANDING and would repeat it in a minute! You will be having an extra special experience as you will have an extended stay and will be giving back to the public through your lectures. I only wish I could be there to hear your talks! The night sky is not to be believed!

Happy Camping!
Gilda (Jill-da)
Attached Thumbnails
065.jpg   076.jpg  

096.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:14 AM   #10

Lakeville, CT
Saw a brand new looking Scamp in the Bryce North Campground lot this morning. Car had Arizona plates. Anyone from here?
Old 06-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #11

Lakeville, CT
Just saw my second Scamp in one day! Didn't see one all the way across the country.

Cloudy day today at Bryce!
Attached Thumbnails
image-3456089016.jpg  
Old 06-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #12

Lakeville, CT
Took a small trip from Bryce to St. George to visit family. Passed through Zion on the way there and back. Here is the obligatory iPad through the windshield terrible picture.
Attached Thumbnails
image-3090792260.jpg  
Old 06-25-2013, 04:25 PM   #13

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
If your in the area of Green River Utah check out Goblin Valley state park especially interesting as the sun goes down and the shadows start forming. Not alot there for an extended stay but just passing through it is very interesting. Just like you would think being on Mars.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #14

Lakeville, CT
Goblin Valley is great--isn't there actually a Mars simulation going on there right now? The best part about Goblin Valley though is a couple of slot canyons on the way in. Can't recall their names, maybe Little Wild Horse or Wildcat. The other is Bell canyon. You hike down one and come back the other. Anyways, beautiful classic southwest slot canyons without any of the crowds.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:03 AM   #15

Lakeville, CT
Left Bryce yesterday after three great weeks. Nice to be in one spot for awhile and get to know a place. Camped last night up in the Nevada mountains outside the town of Austin along the lonliest road in America.

Before leaving Bryce my wife tried our best to clean out the burner on the fridge (worked really well on AC). And that seemed to make quite a bit of difference. Has been lit now for about 24 hours. Doesn't seem to be cooling quite as well as it was on AC but its hard to tell until we settle down again. Tonight we should make it to the Golden State Star Party for a couple of nights of stars.

Only other issue is that it seems to be that the trailer is weighing the car down a bit more than on our way out. I have redistributed some weight but that doesn't seem to help much. It does seem to tow fine. Maybe I'll start a thread over in the right place to ask if anyone does anything to beef up suspension on minivans...

Attached Thumbnails
image-2925637135.jpg  
Old 07-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool What your problem may be

Don't forget that you are now at a mile + in elevation. That can affect your TV energy output.

I'm sort of disappointed that you won't be visiting Mt St Helens when you are so close in Portland.

Mt Rainier is also worthy of a visit, IMHO.

If you leave PDX to the east on I-80N, be sure to stop at Multnomah falls. 620' high.

Welcome to the great PNW.

Maybe you could spare a little time to see some of our wonders. See the advice I gave another FGRV'er:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...usa-59409.html

Roger

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #17

Lakeville, CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
Don't forget that you are now at a mile + in elevation. That can affect your TV energy output.

Roger
That's down a bit from the 8000 ft at Bryce and over 10,000 ft at Cedar Breaks. Nice to be up high during a heat wave.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:32 PM   #18

Lakeville, CT
A we've traveled across the country we've been stopping at children's museums and science museums along the way. With our membership to the Boston museum of science we can get in to most for free. We happened upon the Nevada Discovery Center and it is the best we've seen. Very interactive, even a three story cloud to climb.
http://www.nvdm.org
Old 07-06-2013, 04:46 PM   #19

Name: ginette & ron
Trailer: 2008 25RB 21 Bigfoot
Ontario
Wow will be following your travels. We are headed west beginning aug 25 from Cornwall ,Ont. We are to pick up our new bigfoot there.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #20

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'd love to be able to tell people when was the best time to come visit Oregon. BUT, the last several years the weather has been totally weird and unpredictable.

We had August hot weather in June. BUT, June 2012... we were suffering January weather. We called the month... Junuary. Typically, August through mid-October are wonderful. Start off hot and ends with an Indian Summer. However, I don't count on anything anymore. It is, what it is. Just remember, there's a reason Oregon is green and prepare for any kind of weather and you'll be fine.

Safe travels, always!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote