Hells Canyon National Park - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-27-2009, 09:06 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
At the end of May I am headed to meet with a bunch of photography friends in Fossil, Oregon on June 6-10. I would like to find a place to stay and check out the area for about 4 days before the meet, and as Hells Canyon is only a short distance away, I thought it might be a nice place to check out.

So, I am looking for ideas on where to camp, and activities you would recommend for during the day. We like fairly active things to do, from hiking to paddling (though not sure we will bring a canoe this trip).
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:28 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Never been there, don't what this place is like, but maybe you can give them call and see what they offer.
http://www.fossilmotelandrvpark.com/
Steve & Terri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:30 AM   #3

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
We too are thinking of going there this summer on the way to Oregon Gathering.

This may be our last trip west and are trying to hit places we have never been.

Looking at Wallowa Lake State Park as a base to drive to the canyon from. Looks like there is neat stuff to see and do in that area.

Please report back after your trip, since you will be there before us.

I didn't find Fossil on my map, guess I better go to the web to search.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:33 AM   #4

Just found Fossil. Over by John Day stuff, neat area. Will be very different from Hells Canyon.

We didn't get up to the Clarno Unit near Fossil, so give us a report on that too.

Thanks, Nancy
Old 03-29-2009, 12:06 PM   #5

Trailer: Trillium
Quote:
We too are thinking of going there this summer on the way to Oregon Gathering.

This may be our last trip west and are trying to hit places we have never been.

Looking at Wallowa Lake State Park as a base to drive to the canyon from. Looks like there is neat stuff to see and do in that area.

Please report back after your trip, since you will be there before us.

I didn't find Fossil on my map, guess I better go to the web to search.

Nancy
have driven the road to hells canyon a few years back in a street rod ,there were five of us ,no car newer than 1948,the road is paved,narrow and curvy beautiful country,fantastic views,even drove to hells canyon dam and took a river boat tour (highly recommended).stayed in a private campground at wallowa lake.lots of enteresting things to do
jim davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:10 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Never been there, don't what this place is like, but maybe you can give them call and see what they offer.
http://www.fossilmotelandrvpark.com/
They might be a help for our photography meet in Fossil, but that would be too far from Hells Canyon to stay. I would want to stay as close as possible.

Another thing I forgot to mention, is we will have our dog with us. Not sure if that would be restricting at all, he is a well behaved/trained guy.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-29-2009, 01:13 PM   #7

Registry
Nancy, will look into Wallowa State Park. I will definitely report back all my findings.

Jim, sounds Wallowa is the place to stay, I assume since you were at a private campground that there are a few offerings there.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:47 AM   #8

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Jim:
I don't know the route you will be traveling, but I can recommend a couple of campgrounds. If your route goes south on 19 from Fossil go past Spray (good municipal park there) and when you get to Kimberly take 402 for about a mile or so to the second campground, Big Bend. On the John Day River, very nice and scenic, but no hookups, toilets only.
If you take highway 7 toward Hells Canyon (from the south) Union Creek campground on Phillips lake (hookups) is nice and fairly close to Baker city.
I have threatened to retire to Fossil or Spray, but my wife nixes the idea.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:00 PM   #9

Registry
Thanks for that Per. We will be coming straight south through Coeur d'Alene (US-95), through Lewiston/Clarkston to get there. I will check out later where the places you mention are. I am fine spending time with no hook-ups. I rarely ever get such a luxury anyway.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:31 PM   #10

Per, thanks for the good ideas for campsites.

We have traveled 26 on the way to OR Gathering so have seen the two lower John Day sites. Is the Spray/Fossil area much different? Should we make an effort to see that area just a bit north.

We have also overnighted at Ochoco Pass on 26 (further west than Jim will go I think). It was a good place to pull in and out of, and cheap with our pass. Your place on the river sounds good.

Nancy
Old 03-30-2009, 07:43 PM   #11

Registry
Someone I know in Oregon suggested staying at Wallowa Lake State Park. We will likely do this. It looks like a real nice place. She had a bunch of photos of the campground there. Big sites, and spread out fairly good, I like that.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:52 PM   #12

Trailer: Casita
Wallowa Lake State Park is great, last time we were their the deer would come and lay down under your awing or in the back of your trailer on a sunny day if you were quite they would stay for a long time.
Their is the lake , hiking and go in to town and see all the art places.
You can go to Hat Point and see the Hells Canyon on a days outing, part of the road up to lookout is a gravel road, ask at the campground how to get their.
Leo H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:48 AM   #13

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
I think of the Ochoco campground as mostly a stop-over, good enough but without any real redeeming qualities.
Frankly this whole area is one of my favorites, so I'll mention a couple more items: go see the Painted Hills, just north of Mitchell. Going to this area without seeing it is not something you should admit to. If you wish to catch early morning or late afternoon light with a camera there is a BLM campground on the way in from Mitchell, but it is hard to spot. Down by the river among the cows, but they are the friendly kind. Cheap (free last I checked. The campground, not the cows).
Then there is Sumpter, Granite, the bear in Mitchell, etc. etc. Can you tell I like this area?
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:59 AM   #14

Per, thanks again.

Yes, Ochoco is a stopover, between one 400/500 mile day and the next. Sure beats WalMart parking lots.

OK, if we go through this area we will try to slow down and smell the roses you recommend. It will be July and I just don't do heat very well. We did do the Painted Hills Unit and really enjoyed the walk there, just didn't overnight nearby.

Nancy
Old 03-31-2009, 11:12 AM   #15

Registry
Per, your ideas are all real helpful in our planning. I plan to boost straight down to the area in two days, as opposed to taking my time getting there. This will give me 5 nights and 4 full days in between to explore the area, before heading off to my photography meet in Fossil. I do believe it is in our group itinerary to head to the Painted Hills, amongst a couple other things.

If there are any other ideas anyone has for places to see, I would appreciate the input. Even some ideas for the Fossil area. For the most part it is a social gathering of a bunch of photography friends from across the continent, but we will be wanting to do some shooting.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:26 AM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Wallow Lake Tram, in Joseph Oregon: Wallowa Lake Tramway Breathtaking vistas!
Attached Thumbnails
Fossil_Joseph.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:35 AM   #17

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
As you and your friends are photo enthusiasts; can't wait to see your pictures of the area.

We also hope to visit the area in the near future.
Bill&Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:03 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Wallow Lake Tram, in Joseph Oregon: Wallowa Lake Tramway Breathtaking vistas!
I Googled that Donna. Sure looks like a nice way to gain altitude. I am going to bookmark their page and check it out when we get there. LINK
Old 04-01-2009, 12:03 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
As you and your friends are photo enthusiasts; can't wait to see your pictures of the area.

We also hope to visit the area in the near future.
I will provide a link to the gallery of shots from the area when I get back (and get them processed).