Hope we can get out Tuesday! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2017, 08:08 AM   #1

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Hope we can get out Tuesday!

Hi all,

We have our schedule set for Tuesday morning to escape Michigan winter.
First heading to SE Mich for one night at Carolyn's sister's house, so not Scamping the 1st night.

Then we pull south on Turkey Day and stopping several nights along the way Walmarts? ... or maybe a KOA in Virginia that may be open. Eventually, our 1st travel destination is Huntington Beach State Park in S.C. Then on to Jekyll Island for several months. Next further south to Florida for 6 weeks or so with a stop at an SKP park, then back north through Kentucky and by spring back to Michigan.

A few days ago it was in the mid-60s. Last night not so much. High today predicted to be 32°F what it is now...Yikes By this afternoon moving to a whooping 27°F. With our steep drive (average 14° slope) I hope we can get out. This morning it looked like this. Did we wait too long to head south?

We still have a lot of packing both in TV and Scamp to complete between now and then. Honda generator, gas etc.

We are hoping we do not need our friend to come over with his ATV plow like he did in the past to open the drive for our escape.

We know Esmé is looking forward to the beaches on Jekyll to pursue her favorite activity as depicted by a young artist friend who recently completed her MFA in illustration (San Francisco Art Institute) hoping to do children's books and commissioned pet portraits and/or cartoons of pets.

We hope to link up with old friends and meet new ones while on the road again this year.

Cheers all,

Happy Turkey Day!

Bat Dude, Mrs Bat Dude, and Esmé
Old 11-19-2017, 08:14 AM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Safe travels! Hopefully your driveway will melt off today or Monday.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:36 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We like the Natural Bridge VA KOA but have also stayed overnight at Staunton and Jonestown VA KOA's. Traffic noise at Jonestown. We are renting a house on Jekyll this year instead of going in the campground. Arriving the day you leave Bruce. Huntington Beach in early March for a couple days.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:48 AM   #4

Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
fun

wow have fun on your journey!!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:24 AM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
What beautiful photos . I wish it looked,like that in Northern Wisconsin , we could use some snow!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:30 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Pffffft. That will be no problem. I tow either a dump trailer or my cargo trailer around most of the winter here. Just be conscious of the conditions and drive accordingly, and the trailer will follow you wherever you go.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:27 AM   #7

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Happy and safe travels!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 01:09 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Degree or Percent slope?

Is your drive actually 14 degrees, or is it 14 percent?
14° = 25% 14% = 8°
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:55 PM   #9

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
There is a nice fiberglass rally........

At Highlands Hammock State Park in Sebring, Florida.

It is either February or March and has a good turnout.

You can get the dates from the forum.
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:43 AM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: Escape
New York
Click image for larger version

Name:	EF5574A7-CAC5-499A-B3F0-486BAA6BA846.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	416.3 KB
ID:	113883 in the same vote as Batdude. On our way to the southwest for the winter, with first stop in Ohio for thanksgiving at our sons house. This is what greeted us. Not as mush as batdude, but hope it’s gone by the 24th. Than we head straight south.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:46 AM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Now that the humidity is gone, living in the south looks better everyday!!
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:33 AM   #12

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Couple things.

First of all, I sure wish Gail and I were heading south for the winter. We woke up to a winter wonderland in the northern Catskills this morning.

Second, let us know how you like Huntington Beach State Park. We're hoping to try it out sometime next year, maybe May.

Other than that, be safe, and have a great time!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:15 PM   #13

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
What beautiful photos . I wish it looked,like that in Northern Wisconsin , we could use some snow!
Be careful what you wish for Steve. Just reading this morning about our Canadian winter which is expected to be a bad one. You will no doubt soon have snow and lots of it. We've had it on the ground for about three weeks already, last November we had record highs. A snow hill just north of Winnipeg opened the earliest ever yesterday. I am not getting away from this winter until March, I wish it were earlier, brrrrr!

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:08 PM   #14

Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Frank; we've been to Huntington Beach SP several times, and really like it. Going to do a stop there in March. We think it's better than Myrtle Beach State Park which is just up the road several miles. One thing that annoys us though is that they change the rates based on time of year and holidays. For example Thanksgiving week rates are $10 to $15 higher. There's an interesting house remains in the park to tour and you have to go to Brookgreen Gardens which is right down the road. As for snow, we got at most 2" during the night, but of course this morning we were heading out with our Casita for Florida. So the roads were sloppy enough to get the truck and trailer all crap. Same thing happened last year. And both times when we got 15 miles from home, around Hudson, there was no snow and the roads were dry. GRRRR. By the way, what did you do with your F150? Is it worth doing an engine replacement?
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:22 PM   #15

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Good info Mary, thanks. We'll figure out some dates and do Huntington Beach SP next year.

Yeah, we had a couple inches of snow here this morning. I get to Catskill and no snow there, but it was just my small car, no big deal.

F150 is gone. I sold it for about 1/4 what I had in it. Anyplace I looked for a motor it was just not worth it, and it was not a job I could do at home. Gail said "What do we need a truck for anyways?" Famous last words. We'll be buying another truck after I retire next year. The Escape just doesn't do the trick for a trailer like we have.

Safe travels to you, and have a great Thanksgiving!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote