Horst's Trip West- in 3 installments - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2010, 08:14 AM   #1

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe (hatched June 2009)
Horst's Trip West- in 3 installments

Decided to take a post Christmas trip...couldn't make up my mind if I should go I-10 East or West... packed, hitched up, and had wheels in the well (pilot talk) about 1145 Sunday morning....the Interstate Gods made my decision when I got to I-10, overshot the "East" ramp...so West it was...... First time I have traveled on an Interstate for any length of time since I paired up with Ms Casita...traffic was light...not a cloud in the sky and listening to Bob Sager and the "Silver Bullet Band"......life is good...the towns drifted by, Boerne, Warring, Comfort, Kerrville, Junction, ok Horst, where are we going...looked at the map and saw Caverns of Sonora...and they even have a camp ground on the property...sounds like a plan to me....exit 392 and another 8 miles south and there I was.....$15.00 a day...electric and water...sites are gravel, pretty level, some have trees around them, and picnic benches....can't beat that...total miles for the day 202....unhooked and set up and by 1630... I was looking out my window at a two"peacocks". . wild turkeys..(I think), and couple dozen or so Deer...Decided to drive to Ozona for dinner(35 miles west on I-10)....Stopped at the Next Door Cafe and had chicken fried steak...they have large portions, great home/comfort food ..... and the cost is about $10.00...worth a try, if you're in the area...got back after dark....and made some coffee....temps tonight are suppose to get down to the 20's....will give the little ceramic heater a work out...tomorrow I will take the Caverns tour...say tuned.... time to sip a little Jack Daniels and listen.to some "Righteous Brothers" tunes

Its 0600...29 degrees, no wind....clear sky.....went outside and saw another "star gazing show", cleaned up, dressed and now brewing a cup of "wake me up"....

Just finished my Caverns tour....I thought it was SUPER, great young lady that was our guide and fantastic caverns... Formations called impossible grow as crystal formations on the walls, ceilings and floors...if you are in the area its well worth a stop and see...The folks who run the place are very friendly and knowledgeable....BTW they sell some GREAT fudge...about 15 different varieties...The tour lasts 2 hours and the is about 2 miles long, though there are about another 8 miles of trails in the cavern. They do groups of 12 or less...for us "Old f...s" you need to watch your step and hold on to the rails...the last bit is somewhat strenuous....about 7 flights up to the exit.... took about 100 or so photo's(will have some on my website)...though when I downloaded a lot of them didn't come out...

They also have Special Group Tours as well as "Discovery Challenge" tours that take you in the undeveloped trails and includes a rappel of about 50 feet into the 'Devil's Pit"

The rest of day was a "drive-around" looking at the area...lots of oil fields and cattle ranches....well ok, it is "West Texas"

Tomorrow I think I will keep heading west and spend the night in Balmorhea, Tx....They have a Texas State Park so I'll check it out....more to come...time for a sip of JD and a little Eric Clapton...I think I'm liking this AARP life with Ms Traveling Casita!!

Got up at 0630 and cleaned up and dressed.... usually I'm pretty good at eating healthy foods, but since I already blew that with my "chicken fried steak"...I found no reason to stop now....I had bought some "lite" spam.....smiling...I fried that..had some home made bread I got from a neighbor friend....and cut it about half inch thick...toasted...then fried a egg...over easy..so it's toast than my "healthy lite" spam and finally my egg.......Its my version of a "breakfast of champions"....It really tasted great...just don't let your arteries put you on a guilt trip!!!

Got all hooked up and hit I-10 about 0830.....223 miles later reached Balmorhea, Tx and Saddleback Mountain RV park...its a Passport America member...cost $10.00...nothing to write home about...about 300 yards off of the Freeway, full hookups, no wifi, gravel, 5 trees....but its all in one..RV Park, gas station, convenience store, and a saloon.....After Ozona, Tx...there isn't much until you get to Ft Stockton....so make sure you got gas...BTW it's $3.09 per gallon...The state park is not much....and Balmorhea Township is in real disrepair...really sad to see..they did have a "International Art Emporia"...I think I saw a rug painting of Elvis......I'm thinking the "saloon" may be the highlight of my stay tonight...or NOT!!!... Had some soup for dinner...back on my healthy diet...I guess life is a matter of "balance"....

Just took some photos of a sunset...I never tire of sunsets or sunrises....Did a little reading and some logistics for my trip tomorrow..it will be the longest segment. I go straight north on 17 until Pecos, then catch 285 through Carlsbad and at Artesia head west, hwy 82 till I reach Alamogordo go north on 70/54 for 2 miles to Edging ton RV Park...another Passport America..Right now I plan on staying there as my Base Camp for 3/4 days and do day trips within a 100 mile radius....And as "Bugs" says...that's all folks...time for some shot eye....

I was up and about by 0630 and had to wait until after 0700 to start hitching up...it was 39 degrees and windy...but you ain't see nothing yet......got started about 0830 on way to Pecos....not many town along the route and the few that I went through...... well, example, Verhalen maybe had a population of One...after Pecos it really became barren....for the better part of 100 miles nothing....not even one "Road Kill"...If you ever want a bit of solitude...this stretch of road is it.....Carlsbad was not camper friendly...I went right through town..they had road work going on and for good reason...it was like "washboard"...The first chance I had to pull over I did...and inspected the inside of the camper....what I mess....oh well...next stop Artesia...and turn West on Highway 82....and this is where the fun began.....the further I traveled West...the stronger the crosswind...and I climbing in altitude.....the higher I climb the stronger the crosswind...with my sway bar and WDH...things are going pretty well....I am getting concerned as I will reach 9000 feet and then the decent is suppose to be one of the worst around...now I understand why I haven't seen any trucks and only a handful of cars...I decide to pull over , get out and see how strong the wind is....bottom line I could not open the door, at first I thought it was locked...that's when I decided to turn back and regroup...I figured I would go to Roswell as it was one of the places I wanted to visit....found a RV park...explained my situation....the owner told me I made the right decision as There is a storm...as in snow on the way and it would not have been a pretty situation especially with the wind......in fact there is a good chance that Roswell will get snow flurries sometime tomorrow...

So stamp stupid on my forehead.....but I guess that's why they call this an adventure....I'll bed down here till Friday and see what options I have...in the meantime I'll tour Roswell tomorrow...and with any luck Scotty or some ET will beam me up....

Since I have internet this evening I will post this...next installment from Starship Enterprise.....for now a sip of JD and some Roy Orbison tunes.....Horst sends
Horst K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:27 AM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Thanks for the update on your spelunking adventure. Stay warm and post pics when you can!
Old 12-30-2010, 01:38 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
If you want to go more to the west after the storm blows through, they say it will be a fast moving front, take US 380 follow it to Carrizozo, you will be passing Billy the Kid Country & Lincoln & Smokey Bear in Capitan, & the neat Valley of Fire BLM Campground & on to I-25 & the Bosque del Apache, then to Socorro where you take US 60 towards Datil, Passing the VLA before you get to Datil & a very Nice BLM Campground.

Billy the Kid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
SmokeyBearPark
Rural Lincoln County New Mexico
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Roads and Routes: Alamogordo to Albuquerque
Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge
NRAO Very Large Array
Datil Well Recreation Area Campground

Geronimo Trail Scenic Byway or NM Rte. 152 - Into Silver City is a neat drive, with a nice viewing area into an open pit copper mine. Road to Emory Pass with great vistias at the top. On the east side of Emory Pass there is Kingston; a neat ghost town, but one which still has people living in it and building new homes as well. Hillsboro is just down the mountain from Kingston as well. It is one of New Mexico's Ghost Towns with people still living there. But Lake Valley is not too far from and south of Hillsboro and it has almost no one living there anymore. On the western side of Emory Pass down at the "bottom" of the decent is a neat distinctive ridge with a very western descriptive metaphor of a name, the Devil's Backbone. A few campgrounds and areas to hike down in the "valley" along with a stream. Such as Lower Gallinas Campground, Upper Gallinas Campground, Wright's Cabin Campground and Iron Creek Campground which is in the middle of this recreational corridor spanning from the Mimbres Valley to Hillsboro, along NM Hwy 152 a great drive, very scenic.

Geronimo Trail Scenic Byway
Highway 152 into Silver City, Curvy Roads, Open-pit Copper Mine - New Mexico Road Trip Guide - TakeMyTrip.com
Emory Pass
KingstonNewMexico.com
HillsboroNM.com
Hillsboro - New Mexico Ghost Town
Lake Valley - New Mexico Ghost Town
Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)

if you get over by Las Cruces, maybe something in this old post will be of help to you:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...2.cfm#23234122
Have a safe and enjoyable time! Happy Travels!
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:21 PM   #4

Second installment....first thanks for all the positive comments.....Matt...I love to go into Caverns...this one was one of my favorites...Adrian..thanks for all the info..the weather is not on my side....I'm reading soth...but will take your agenda in the Spring...thanks...this morning started pretty early as I am now on Mountain time, but my brain is still on Central time....I decided to tour the Town of Roswell early...got out and about before 0800 and did a walk around, took some photo's.....of a alien hardware store, alien drug store, alien tattoo parlor, alien jiffy lube, alien KFC...and the alien beat goes on....

There are a number of interesting venues; the Roswell Goddard Planetarium star shows, to include a lot of hands on activity for the kids; Roswell Pioneer Plaza, a nice alternative to seeing all the alien stuff; UFO museum; Serious Art Center....and the Alien Autopsy Dummy.....or not....also impressive was the New Mexico Military Institute Founded in 1891 by Joseph C. Lea, who selected former Confederate Col. Robert S. Goss as the Superintendent for the Goss Military Institute (which was later renamed NMMI), and inspired by Virginia Military Institute, it is one of five Military Junior Colleges in the United States....Its a very impressive looking campus,,,and walking the grounds was inspiring....

I thought I would take a drive on 70 west and maybe even get to Alamogordo and White Sands..... took a side trip along the way to Arabela, which is north on highway 368 about 40 miles west of 70....it was a 17 mile trip to the north...nothing except a few cabins and some photo ops of Capitan Mtn....headed back to 70 and west and the winds really picked up....took another detour on highway 380 Lincoln State Monument down to Fort Stanton, doubled back as the wind was getting worse...decided not cross over the pass to Alamogordo and headed back to Roswell...the wind was really getting out of hand...when I started down the pass, Roswell looked like the worst day that L.A. had for smog....except this was a sand storm....I got back to the campground and decided enough of this...I'm heading south tomorrow..to Fort Stockton, Texas...the Weather Channel said that rain was coming, and snow before morning and temps. with wind chill would get to 4 degrees...I decided to hitch up Ms Casita before the nasty stuff came in.....about 1600 hours the temps dropped from 60+ to 40 ...and the wind gusts at about 50 MPH.....Sooooo, I'm beded for the evening...had a taco salad for dinner....and ready for my next adventure tomorrow...Happy New Year's Eve...more to follow....time to sip some Brandy and listen to some Gene Vincent tunes and maybe Carl Perkins.....Horst sends
Old 01-01-2011, 04:27 PM   #5

installment 3-back in Texas

Left Roswell around 0800..it was 28 degrees...but didn't get the snow they predicted and the wind is not nearly as bad....made it to Ft Stockton,Tx by early afternoon....staying at Hilltop Rv Park close to I-10, cost is $27.00...they have no discounts....Great attitude/friendly Hosts....campground is gravel, clean, seems that more than half are long-term/full timers ....with there "Massive" Rigs...but friendly...Ms Casita is a "novelty" to them...but it gets conversations and friendships started.....a nice and quiet New Years Eve......Happy New Year!!!

Got up around 0530 made some coffee and cereal.... decided to do Alpine, Tx, Marfa, Tx Marathon, tx and Ft Stockton...First stop Alpine..its the seat of Brewster county...the largest county in Texas....fact larger than the state of Connecticut.....and a whole lot more ...you fill in the rest.....

It has Sul Ross State University... named in honor of Lawrence Sullivan "Sul" Ross, the son of a pioneer Texas family who went on to become a Texas Ranger, a Confederate States Army general during the American Civil War, the 19th Governor of Texas (USA), and a president of the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas, now called Texas A&M University...founded in 1917. It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 2,000+..Sits up on a hill.... The Museum of the Big Bend, on the campus, , offering a look at the early settlements in the vast Big Bend region (including Native American life), as well as artifacts from the mining, ranching, and settlement eras. The museum is accessed through the upper gazebo gift shop. Including the hands-on Discovery Center, the museum is open Tuesday through Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and on Sunday from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m...A Great place to start your Big Bend area adventure...wish I had come here when I first visted this area.....

Stroll through the breezeway along side the Reata Restaurant, between the street and their patio, and marvel at the colorful mural, depicting scenes from the movie from which the restaurant takes its name, the motion picture “Giant”. (which was filmed there).... Walk down the street two blocks south and you’ll see another fabulous mural by Stylle Read along the side of Kiowa Gallery. This mural displays many images of West Texas and Alpine including one of Sul Ross’ most famous alumni, Dan Blocker. Round the corner and Alpine’s Rangra Theater is decorated with images of John Wayne, Darth Vader and many other famous move characters.

I just parked and walked around...most of the stuff is between 5th and 7th street...Historic, rustic stuff.....One place that bears going into....is the "Railroad Blue" tavern...it looks like a hole in the wall...but it has character...its a funky live music beer and wine joint with a friendly attitude and a fun atmosphere...even for us "AARPS"

Next on my list was Marfa... In 1883
, the wife of the president of the Texas and New Orleans Railroad named a small West Texas railroad water stop Marfa after a character in a Russian novel that she was reading at the time....there is a lot of "stuff" in this town of about 2000...very eccentric.....it served as the base of operations for the crew while filming "Giant"... The lobby highlights the stars of the movie....

Marfa Army Air Field, they built it in early 1942 and graduated their first pilots on the first anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Marfa almost had a pass to skate through the depression with the economic bedrock of having a Cavalry Post stationed there (the1st Cavalry Regiment). Airplanes though, proved more effective at patrolling the border, and so Fort D. A. Russell (formerly Camp Marfa) was closed in 1933. It was reactivated for a few years by other than Cavalry units and then during WWII it housedWacs, several Chemical Battalions and a large German Prisoner of War Camp....After the war it was deactivatedpermanently in 1946 and the buildings were sold or incorporated into the present-day city in 1949.

Than there is the Chinati Foundation...large scale scale sculpture began by Donald Judd...the works are housed on the grounds of the historic Fort D. A. Russell.....It was closed today....so I could only see the outside stuff...which are no more than steel boxes...at least to me...but they call it "art" and who am I to argue....

Last but not least is the Marfa Mystery Lights...first reported by settlers in 1883 and the lights still defy explanation...there is a viewing area, I am not going back to view tonight..though I should....but from my camp to here is about 70 miles one way....They do have a camp ground in Marfa...probaby should go there....another time....

Next was Marathon...a quaint town that boasts a population of 800 or so.....the big attraction is the Gage Hotel...a restored Hotel of the 1920's, orginal pine floors and woodwork...I believe it has 19 rooms...I stopped and walked around for an hour..most of the stuff is right on US 90..but some is a couple of steets north of that...a neat place to visit...

...and back to Fort Stockton...which started as a military post in 1859, an outpost on the Butterfield Overland Mail Route at crossing of Old San Antonio Road and ancient Comanche War Trail....This area was popular with the Indians long before white men arrived because of the large springs...now known as Comanche Springs...now the site of a Olympic sized swimming pool.....Go down Courthouse Square..a lot of neat structures..and of couse the old Fort...not much left...but worth the stop....

A very nice day trip....worth coming back for a longer visit...Texas does have a lot of interesting History....

I'm sure these posts have been long and somewhat boring....so I thank those of you that have taken the time to read them....tomorrow I'm going to Seminole Canyon...I was there in Nov 2009, but it has great hiking and more than 200 pictograph sites known to contain examples of rock paintings ranging from single paintings to caves containing panels of art hundreds of feet long.....so time to relax...kick back...and get ready for the next journey...thanks for reading....Horst sends
Old 01-01-2011, 04:51 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Horst, not boring at all! I love reading about others adventures to places I have never been.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:12 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi Horst! Thanx for the terrific narrative - you've mentioned several places we've visited in our 'waltzing across TX' and many more we will plan to see in the future.

I'm sorry Balmorhea SP was a disappointment. We've camped there for a week on two separate trips and thoroughly enjoyed long swims in the CCC pool built at the spring, as well as hikes thru the re-habbed wetlands. We do agree the township is in bad shape. Did you see the gigantic "Brunswick" building? Apparently that was a major employer (assembling bicycles) until the jobs went to Mexico ... thank you, NAFDA!

Anyway, enjoyed your trip report and look forward to reading about future adventures. Safe journeys, L 'n D
Old 01-01-2011, 10:52 PM   #8

Host, Thanks for Sending......enjoyed reading them....but a too short, IMHO.

¡Prospero Año Nuevo!
Old 01-02-2011, 07:32 PM   #9

First...I want to thank Adrian for following this thread, for Matt in setting it up correctly, Lizbeth for you postive comment...you have 2 campers...there must be a story in that.....again thanks,...and David and Leslie for your comments....BTW I think I never really found Balmorhea SP...I spoke with someone that knows the area and I've come to the conclusion I found a fish camp instead of the SP...so now I have something to look forward next time...

Ok...this will be my last installment, as I should conclude this trip sometime tomorrow.... and it has be a GREAT journey....today I woke up to 27 degree weather...but a nice clear day...and crisp...no wind to speak of, watching the sunrise over Fort Stockton.....imagining the Comanche's sitting on this hilltop watching the soldiers at Ft Stockton...and trying to decide their next move....well my next move was to hitch my horse to the wagon and head to Seminole Canyon State Park...I took state road 285 south...its about 65 miles to Sanderson...another one of those drives that if you broke down they would find your remains in a year or so...I did not meet another car either way...ok it was early Sunday morning.....but still, not one soul was on that road....I finally get to the junction of 285 and 90...head east and there is Sanderson Texas...this town intrigued me...a small hamlet, no stop lights, yet it had 4 or 5 motels, an RV park...and a number of watering holes to dine at...and its called the "Cactus capital of Texas"...I had to learn more...I know this to couldn't have more than 700-1000 residents,,,so this evening I goggled it and I give the following info:

The seat of Terrell County, Sanderson is located south of Fort Stockton between Marathon and Del Rio on US 90 and US 285.
In early days, Sanderson was an unruly frontier town: Roy Bean operated a saloon there for a short time; Charlie Wilson's Cottage Bar was a favorite spot for railroad workers, cowboys, and local ranchers.
On June 11, 1965, Sanderson was devastated by a flash flood. A wall of water roared down Sanderson Canyon into Sanderson, destroying numerous homes and businesses. Twenty-four people died in the flood. Eleven flood-control dams were constructed to protect Sanderson against another such catastrophe. The region is devoted to the raising of livestock, including cattle, horses, polo ponies, burros, sheep, and Angora goats. In 1970 over one million pounds of wool and mohair were shipped out of Sanderson. I found out the population is 861 and its famous as it is the town that Llewellyn moss lived in, in the movie "No country for Old men"...He lived in the RV park in town....so there you have it, another town makes the Big Time, though the movie is pure fiction and most of it was filmed in New Mexico....between Sanderson and Seminole Canyon there are only 3 towns....and I use the word "town" in a very generous way....try to buy a six pack of diet cokes in any of those 3 towns...NOT....so I opted for a six pack of Bud, and a bag of shelled peanuts..... hey a mans got to do, what a mans got to do...got to the Canyon little after 1200, set up Ms Casita and did a bit of reading......they do have wifi here...but my Sprint has no clue about service....this afternoon I took a 7 mile hike....first time I could do this since I started this trip...due to weather/wind...felt good....will do another hike tomorrow before I leave...this evening had a can of beef soup...tomorrow I have the Bud Lite and peanuts.....its my version of "Breakfast of Champions"...I should have my photo's posted on my website in the next 10 days.....the site is www.texasreflectionsphotography.com
Again I thank you folks that have stuck with this long and somewhat boring journel.....but I enjoy it....Horst
Old 01-02-2011, 07:42 PM   #10

First...I want to thank Adrian for following this thread, for Matt in setting it up correctly, Lizbeth for you postive comment...you have 2 campers...there must be a story in that.....again thanks,...and David and Leslie for your comments....BTW I think I never really found Balmorhea SP...I spoke with someone that knows the area and I've come to the conclusion I found a fish camp instead of the SP...so now I have something to look forward next time...

Ok...this will be my last installment, as I should conclude this trip sometime tomorrow.... and it has be a GREAT journey....today I woke up to 27 degree weather...but a nice clear day...and crisp...no wind to speak of, watching the sunrise over Fort Stockton.....imagining the Comanche's sitting on this hilltop watching the soldiers at Ft Stockton... trying to decide their next move....well my next move was to hitch my horse to the wagon and head to Seminole Canyon State Park...I took state road 285 south...its about 65 miles to Sanderson...another one of those drives that if you broke down they would find your remains in a year or so...I did not meet another car either way...ok it was early Sunday morning.....but still, not one soul was on that road....I finally get to the junction of 285 and 90...head east and there is Sanderson Texas...this town intrigued me...a small hamlet, no stop lights, yet it had 4 or 5 motels, an RV park...and a number of watering holes to dine at...and its called the "Cactus capital of Texas"...I had to learn more...I know this town couldn't have more than 700-1000 residents...so this evening I goggled it and I give you the following info:

The seat of Terrell County, Sanderson is located south of Fort Stockton between Marathon and Del Rio on US 90 and US 285.

In early days, Sanderson was an unruly frontier town: Roy Bean operated a saloon there for a short time; Charlie Wilson's Cottage Bar was a favorite spot for railroad workers, cowboys, and local ranchers.
On June 11, 1965, Sanderson was devastated by a flash flood. A wall of water roared down Sanderson Canyon into Sanderson, destroying numerous homes and businesses. Twenty-four people died in the flood. Eleven flood-control dams were constructed to protect Sanderson against another such catastrophe. The region is devoted to the raising of livestock, including cattle, horses, polo ponies, burros, sheep, and Angora goats. In 1970 over one million pounds of wool and mohair were shipped out of Sanderson. I found out the population is 861 and its famous as it is the town that Llewellyn moss lived in, in the movie "No country for Old men"...He lived in the RV park in town....so there you have it, another town makes the Big Time, though the movie is pure fiction and most of it was filmed in New Mexico....between Sanderson and Seminole Canyon there are only 3 towns....and I use the word "town" in a very generous way....try to buy a six pack of diet cokes in any of those 3 towns...NOT....so I opted for a six pack of Bud, and a bag of shelled peanuts..... hey a mans got to do, what a mans got to do...got to the Canyon little after 1200, set up Ms Casita and did a bit of reading......they do have wifi here...but my Sprint has no clue about service....this afternoon I took a 7 mile hike....first time I could do this since I started this trip...due to weather/wind...felt good....will do another hike tomorrow before I leave...this evening had a can of beef soup...tomorrow I'll have the Bud Lite and peanuts.....its my version of "Breakfast of Champions"...I should have my photo's posted on my website in the next 10 days.....the site is www.texasreflectionsphotography.com
Again I thank you folks that have stuck with this long and somewhat boring journel.....but I enjoy it and sharing my travels....Horst

Old 01-03-2011, 12:32 AM   #11

Been enjoying your reports, don't forget Langtry in Val Verde County. We have stopped at the Langtry Visitor Center and at the Pecos River Overlook. I love the history of the area. But have not gotten to visit Seminole Canyon. We have never stopped at the Alamo Movie Set in Brackettville Texas, but drove by it at least once. It could be on the way from the Langtry area. Brackettville began as the home of Fort Clark, built by the U.S. Cavalry in 1852 to protect the frontier from hostile Indians. Through the years it was home to many famous names in the military world including General George S. Patton. During World War II, Fort Clark served as a German POW camp. Also in the same area, Kickapoo Cavern State Park.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:29 PM   #12

Adrian...again thanks for taking the time to visit the thread...I had a great night at Seminole Canyon...You can see the forever...if you're in to some solitude this is the place..you spoke of Langtry...this is where I stopped to get a six pack of cokes...and joked about getting the Bud lite and peanuts....going into the village is a must do and visiting hte Judge Bean structure...you are right in the Pecos River Overlook...I stop there everything I pass through....Brackettville is a most stop with the "John Wayne" Alamo village...the couple times I was there there had film crew filming...which added to the visit...

It was a great trip.....now planning my next adventure...the Grandkids want to go, ha...Horst sends