How is the 299 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2007, 02:55 PM   #21

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I've travelled all over the United States and Canada. Californian's are the only people who put a "the" in front of Interstate highway numbers and other road numbers. Any idea how this phenomena came to be??
Must be a California thing.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:48 PM   #22

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have always done that.. and I am from Oregon...my brother, who has never lived in California, also does it.

I will never get used to "Soda"...

it's "POP" dangit!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:12 PM   #23

Trailer: 2007 17.5 ft Bigfoot (25B17.5G)
Registry
I agree, "pop" it is... and always has been.
Ron N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 10:08 AM   #24

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
"THE" is a So. Cal. thing with that array of freeways and News Coptors.
It is only now just catching on up here in No. Cal.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 03:56 PM   #25

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Quote:
It is a beautiful drive between Redding and Eureka
theTrinitys are beautiful as you say.. I spent about 3 yrs up there.. First yr was my Sr. yr in high school @ Hayfork.. then stayed on at the ranch out of Hyampom.. I have always wanted to go back there to live, but its sooo expensive now, and growing fast! Even tho Hayfork will always be small its gorgious country.......
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:04 PM   #26

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi all - just thought we'd add a note on our drive up SR 299 from Redding to the coast. I was a bit concerned after reading some of the comments about hills, but it is a super road and a beautiful drive! Don't think I'd drive it west-to-east tho' - might be my imagination, but there seemed to be a lot more uphill pulls on the west side of the summit(s). Our GeezerMobile (Mazda MPV) performed flawlessly and it was a good trip - see no worries for other FGRV-ers on this route ... YMMV however.

About in the middle of the drive, there is a BLM CG at Junction City - $5/night with Golden Age Passport - YES! Basic FS with decent vault facilities and good water, but no dump station. At that price per night, we should have stayed longer! The host said there was also another BLM CG east near Douglas City, but we did not check that one out.

Happy camping, everyone - see ya' in Bandon! L 'n D
Old 07-02-2007, 09:18 PM   #27

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
Quote:
I have always done that.. and I am from Oregon...my brother, who has never lived in California, also does it.

I will never get used to "Soda"...

it's "POP" dangit!
So, do you put your "pop" in a bag or a sack?

Vivian
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:43 PM   #28

Registry
Bag, but it doesn't stay in there long

Good report on the road HD&L! Thanks!
Old 10-07-2007, 10:23 PM   #29

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
Highway 299 is a wonderful highway. About three hours from Redding to highway 101 north of Arcata. There are a few UFSF campgrounds along the way. Price reasonable, water & toilets only and usually a host. Winter travel with a trailer can be a little dicey because of snow and ice, but I assume you will be traveling during summer. Temps during summer can be a little hot, but not as bad as the interior valley. Happy trails. Hope to see you at Bullards next summer.Margaret
Marg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 11:19 AM   #30

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
299 is the major road connection between the north coast to inland California. It is a good two lane road and for the most part follows the Trinity River between the town of Willow Creek on the west, and near Lewiston to the east. It does go over a couple of mountains:

Buckhorn Summit just west of Whiskeytown Reservoir at about 3200 feet elevation. The climb up from Whiskeytown to the summit is very winding and relatively long. Steeper going west.

Oregon Summit just west of Weaverville at about 2.900 feet in elevation. This can be a relatively long hard pull going east. However, I do it a couple times a year in a Dodge van 3500 15 passenger with a boat trailer and load of people and camping stuff. I overheated once in mid summer when I wasn't paying attention to the coolant level before starting out.

There is a nice campground on the Trinity River in Douglas City (public). This one is away from the highway, a rarity in the area. It is on the otherside of Weaverville from the BLM site at Junction City.

Near Del Loma is a USFS campground, Hayden Flat. There are others scattered around, if you do not need hook ups. Vault toilets, and water available.

The road climbs away from the river east of Willow Creek as the river goes through a gorge. The road get curvy through some of this.

Of course, for some people the lakes (Whiskeytown, and Lewiston) are major attractions. For others, like me, it is the river. Nice clear, cold water, and sections of mild and flat, to very turbulent whitewater.

The two major towns between Redding and Arcata are Willow Creek, and Weaverville.

West of Willow Creek are two more summits:

Berry Summit, at about 2800 feet, and Lord Ellis Summit at about 2200 feet.

There are virtually no services between Willow Creek and the Coast.

Don Jarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 02:08 PM   #31

Registry
Thanks everyone, for the new info. I am plotting a trip to the North coast next month, and the 299 may not be a good idea due to possible snow, but in summer, your descriptions sound like it's quite doable.

I routinely tow at steeper and higher elevations. I live at 5k feet.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:13 PM   #32

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Thanks everyone, for the new info. I am plotting a trip to the North coast next month, and [b]the 299 may not be a good idea due to possible snow, but in summer, your descriptions sound like it's quite doable.
I routinely tow at steeper and higher elevations. I live at 5k feet.
Have you been in California too long.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:41 PM   #33

Trailer: 17 ft Oliver Legacy Elite
Send a message via Yahoo to Chuck-H
Gina, I thought nothing would frighten you, must be Halloween upcoming! The road is easier than your drive home! And you shud have no problems as you actually believe that 35 mph MEANS 35 mph! And the ole station that's now a fish smoke shack is great! As the old ad said "Try it, you'll like it".
Did you ever post results of the trailer twist game????
Chuck
Chuck-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:34 PM   #34

Registry
Hey Chuck, thats sort of what I was thinking. As mentioned somewhere back on the Crestline to Bullards and back again saga, I had noted that of all the passes I did on that round trip.. the worst part was actually the last 12 mile to my house!

I don't tow in snow tho, whatever the incline or elevation.

Yep, the trailer twister game was figured out.. read about it Here.

We were twisting when we should have been tilting