Just back from both coasts we hit last week - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-03-2016, 01:15 PM   #1

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Just back from both coasts we hit last week

We decided we were experiencing serious DTs [Definite need to Travel] after our Scamp has been parked since early April.

We decided to do a coast to coast run for 8 nights. OK! This is Michigan so we started on the Sunset Coast (Lake Michigan) at the Petoskey State Park. We could not get an entire week as the weekend had been booked for months. So we had to leave Friday morning and headed across the state to the Sunrise Coast (Lake Huron) to a small KOA at Oscoda.

Wow! Good thing I called ahead and reserved a slot as the KOA filled rapidly throughout the rest of Friday on into the evening.

So we enjoyed Fri-Sun nights there and headed home Monday midday. Had a stop halfway home in Clare so Esmé could take her AKC Canine Good Citizen test (passed with flying colors). This is really a good thing to have as in some situations we have found places may be "Iffy" on taking pets. We learned about this with our previous dog Maggie when we used to fly to the U.S. from Belize for some 10 years for our 30 day home leave. Many times (pre Scamping) hotels were hesitant to allow a small dog, but the AKC certificate persuaded most to accept her. We are assuming same will be the case for RV parks and campgrounds.

Only saw 1 16' Scamp on the road and one 13' parked in front of a house on our trip. However this Trillium (1976 vintage) arrived at the KOA in Oscoda shortly after we did.

A retired Canadian school teacher bought it a few years back. Interesting he uses it only for storing his stuff and sleeping. Does not use the fridge and has 5 ice chests in the back of his TV. The tongue was interesting.. he told me the frame broke at one point and had a new tongue added. Yikes! it is only 4"-5" off the ground.

Whe n we returned from our winter escape in April I cleaned, waxed and washed, vacuumed the inside of our Scamp and DW laundered the bed linens, towels etc. I apparently missed a maintenance issue.

As we were packing for this trip I turned on the LED (low brightness) in the front bathroom as the stone shield was over the window and poop...it barely glowed!

The outdoor "porch" light was very bright just a few weeks prior?

I removed the propane tank and had it topped up then popped the cover of the battery box. Opps. The + positive wire had corroded such that there was only a single strand of copper between the wire and the connection lug. When I touched it fell off.

So I removed the battery, dumped baking soda into the battery box to neutralize acid that had for some reason come out of the top. Nothing was left turned on. Hmmm..

Cleaned the positive terminal, topped up the battery water, charged it and replaced the lug. Worked super the entire trip. Guess I need to peek inside the battery box more often. Still having issues with the 110 AC plug that passes juice to the inverter to keep the battery charged when on shore power. Works its way loose on the road.

Now time to plan the Yellowstone trip for late summer so we can be back by October and plan the winter escape from Michigan in Nov. Seems Jekyll Island may be off the calendar . Now thinking about following the gulf coast to Port Aransas or So. Padre Isl. in Texas then on to the SW and up the Pacific coast Highway. Traveling long enough for winter to pass and return in early April. As the hard corps Yoopers in the U.P. of Michigan say "Summer is just 2.5 months of bad sledding."

Cheers all,

Bat Dude
Old 08-03-2016, 01:59 PM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Great report. If headed to Yellowstone consider passing through the Big Horn mountains, the Chief Joseph and/or Bear Tooth highways on the way. Great scenery and lots of NFS campgrounds. We went through this time last year. Lots of smoke from the wild fires. Hopefully it won't be as bad this year. Safe travels, Raz

Active Fire Mapping Program
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote