Key West: any advice? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2011, 10:58 AM   #1

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Key West: any advice?

After this winter, we are looking to getting our Scamp as far away from New Jersey as possible for a couple weeks. But without leaving the continent. Probably late April or May. Der Scamp, and us, really, REALLY need a break.

Key West, Fla was suggested as the perfect solution. I like it.
Any info/advice on making it happen would be sooo appreciated. Help?
Attached Thumbnails
sno07.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:03 PM   #2

Name: Gail & Tom O
Trailer: Eggcamper 2010
Maryland
We lived down there for 13 mos. The campgrounds at Bahia Honda and Sugarloaf both looked nice, but never camped there since we were living there.
GailO
Gail & Tom O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:32 PM   #3

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1973
Myron, we are suffering (lol) through mid 80's temps in the Keys here at Long Key SP and previously at Bahia Honda SP for the past two weeks. Both parks are fabulous with great beaches. B Honda has a" small trailer" (14' or less) section at Sandspur, & a regular RV area called Buttonwood . Both are nice but Sandspur is on the ocean...only a few sites at Buttonwood are on the water.If you do creative math and shrink your 16 footer you will fit in no problem. We have just scoped the sites out and there is lots of room.
Keys are tough to get into in Jan- March but open up a bit after that. Camping IN Key West is pricey... $100/night!!! and mostly seasonal big rigs...not worth the 20 miles drive from B Honda. In terms of nearby private camps you might look at Fishing Lodge which is just over the bridge to the south of B Honda.
Curry Hammock SP is nice too -midway up the US 1 at Marathon. Nice beaches as well.
Most state parks in the Keys hold a few sites for "walk-ins" which can be renewed for additional days.
John Pennekamp SP has just been paved & "sewered" and has now re-opened. It is on Key Largo...nice facilities but smallish sites and lots of "no-seeums!!! It is at the start of the Overseas highway about 100 miles north of Key West.
You can always get an overflow site at Larry and Penny Thompson County Park in s.w. Miami...prolly by the time you arrive the snowbirds will have left and a serviced site could be available.
Good Luck...enjoy the Conch Republic... and have a Lobster Reuben at Keys Fisheries in Marathon.
Cheers...Al & Inge in The Road Toad
Alistair Camelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:04 PM   #4

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette Deluxe / 1997 Toyota T-100
Do not take a dog, Florida is not dog friendly when traveling.
But a good place to get out of the snow and cold , but we will not go back due traveling with a dog. So we go to to the Southwest.
D Tharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:42 AM   #5

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Myron Leski...We've never camped in Fla., but did exchange a week of time share into Marathon Key. We drove to Key West twice (45 min.)and I can tell you " Take your own parking space" as parking is pricey too!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:09 AM   #6

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Leski View Post
After this winter, we are looking to getting our Scamp as far away from New Jersey as possible for a couple weeks. But without leaving the continent. Probably late April or May. Der Scamp, and us, really, REALLY need a break.

Key West, Fla was suggested as the perfect solution. I like it.
Any info/advice on making it happen would be sooo appreciated. Help?
As far away from Jersey as possible? San Diego is farther than Key West. But Key West is pretty nice. We went there for about 4 winter vacations when I was a kid.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:16 PM   #7

Name: PaulOWindsor
Trailer: 2011 Trillium 1500 & 2002 Airstream 34
Ontario
Myron : The Keys are tropical islands you can drive to & we've been down several times.

There are a few "must do's" when you drive down to Key Weird, however, before I ramble off my list, I really have to mention that as you head down US#1, there are MANY speed traps with policemen hiding & waiting for unsuspecting tourists who are going along 55MPH & don't slow down to 30MPH (as there's now warning) in time.

So be sure to heed my warning, or it will cost you !!

That one aside, here's what you're going to be able to enjoy...

1) The Key's Fisheries restaurant in Marathon (ask any local, this place is an institutuion !!) The Lobster Ruben sandwich is the greatest sandwich you'll EVER have & they serve thousands of them every year !! Keys Fisheries Maket & Marina - Restaurant

2) Blonde Giraffe Key Lime pies

3) Blue Heaven restaurant (for breakfast)

4) In Key West...

Sloppy Joes for lunch
Margaritaville (Jimmy Buffett's store & pub)
Hemmingway House
Conch Train Tour
Shipwreck Museum
Mel Fisher Museum
Ripley's believe it or not museum
Mallory Square (sunset celebration)

Have a great time !!

Cheers, P.

P/S I recommend you stay here... Blue Water Key RV Resort

PaulOWindsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:01 AM   #8

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
You aint just Whistleing Dixie the Keys are impossible to get in during the winter months! I wish they'd keep some sights open just for residents b/c the summer is just too hot and we'd like to enjoy the Keys too. We never know exactly when Spring Break is going to be until the school year begins and by then it's too late to get anything in March or for Christmas break. We spent a few days at Bahia Honda last summer and swore we'd never do it again. We may have to save up for a Private CG like KOA or something if we want to visit the Keys in the winter. I know some parks have walk up sites but when you only have a few days and nowhere else to stay it's hard to risk that. There is no "walmart" parking in the Keys waiting for something to Maybe open up, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair Camelford View Post
Myron, we are suffering (lol) through mid 80's temps in the Keys here at Long Key SP and previously at Bahia Honda SP for the past two weeks. Both parks are fabulous with great beaches. B Honda has a" small trailer" (14' or less) section at Sandspur, & a regular RV area called Buttonwood . Both are nice but Sandspur is on the ocean...only a few sites at Buttonwood are on the water.If you do creative math and shrink your 16 footer you will fit in no problem. We have just scoped the sites out and there is lots of room.
Keys are tough to get into in Jan- March but open up a bit after that. Camping IN Key West is pricey... $100/night!!! and mostly seasonal big rigs...not worth the 20 miles drive from B Honda. In terms of nearby private camps you might look at Fishing Lodge which is just over the bridge to the south of B Honda.
Curry Hammock SP is nice too -midway up the US 1 at Marathon. Nice beaches as well.
Most state parks in the Keys hold a few sites for "walk-ins" which can be renewed for additional days.
John Pennekamp SP has just been paved & "sewered" and has now re-opened. It is on Key Largo...nice facilities but smallish sites and lots of "no-seeums!!! It is at the start of the Overseas highway about 100 miles north of Key West.
You can always get an overflow site at Larry and Penny Thompson County Park in s.w. Miami...prolly by the time you arrive the snowbirds will have left and a serviced site could be available.
Good Luck...enjoy the Conch Republic... and have a Lobster Reuben at Keys Fisheries in Marathon.
Cheers...Al & Inge in The Road Toad
Old 03-01-2011, 07:54 AM   #9

Ontario
Oh I almost forgot...pls be careful of the little Key deers (they are soooo cute !!)

Old 03-05-2011, 08:11 PM   #10

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
All I can say is Wow! My bags are packed and ready to go. Thankeee.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:56 PM   #11

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Tharp View Post
Do not take a dog, Florida is not dog friendly when traveling.
But a good place to get out of the snow and cold , but we will not go back due traveling with a dog. So we go to to the Southwest.
Yes, I was discouraged the other day when looking at Bahia and Long Key as they don't allow dogs. I did however find other SP's in Florida that do allow dogs, few they were.

I'm not going to Florida any time soon but would be concerned regarding Lily. She loves the ocean and/or any water so it would be hard to even camp in a campground that allowed dogs but not on the beaches.

Before I go to Florida I'll post a question to everyone at that time to find out what the attitude is regarding dogs.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:17 PM   #12

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1973
just finished 2 weeks at B Honda and 9 days at Long Key and am now starting 2 weeks at Curry Hammock SP. Dogs are everywhere!- at every 2nd campsite!- Only restriction is they are not allowed on the beach.
Al & Inge in the Road Toad in the HOT Florida Keys
Alistair Camelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:38 PM   #13

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Many parks are dog friendly, or have pet sections. Places that are super-crowded most of the year (like Key West) are less likely to be so.
A suggestion, since our year has been pretty warm so far, might be to camp a bit north of Key West (Marathon or Key Largo), or even enjoy the Atlantic Coast further north. I've heard Jetty Park is nice, near St. Augustine, though I've not been to the park. St. Augustine is fun, and quite beautiful as well as historic.
We camped at Blue Spring SP near Orange City last week. Quite lovely. The spring and the run to the creek is amazing. Real old Florida, and crystal clear water till it meets the St. John's. Our dog stayed with our daughter, but it's pet friendly, and inexpensive. $24 plus tax with electric and water, older but absolutely, impeccably immaculate bathhouses, and only 51 private sites separated by trees and cabbage palms. A thirty minute drive from there and you're in New Smyrna Beach, a neat little beach town where you can park and drive on the Atlantic Beach for $5 a day. Cute shops, several beachy restaurants, including one old local place where almost every seat has an ocean view... great fish and chips for $8 at lunchtime.

There's another shuttle launch scheduled for April. Check the schedule, as parks reserve up early near Cape Canaveral during that time. (Near being anywhere within a fifty mile radius.)

Coming down in April or May opens up many possibilities, as March is our busiest month. Even though Easter is late this year, most out of state visitors leave by the end of March or mid=April. You could also consider our side of the state... I'm sure you'd find spaces here in April.
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:43 PM   #14

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Julian Price Park is nice just outside of Lake Worth (couple of miles from ocean but if you just want to get warm)
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:24 AM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Registry
We just got back from the Keys and Key Largo.... had a blast. We drove the 13 ft Scamp, minivan, 5 kids, and the 100 lb lab down from N. Michigan! Will be posting an AAR soon.
Joe Steadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:56 PM   #16

Name: James
Trailer: Surveyor
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A View Post
Yes, I was discouraged the other day when looking at Bahia and Long Key as they don't allow dogs. I did however find other SP's in Florida that do allow dogs, few they were.

I'm not going to Florida any time soon but would be concerned regarding Lily. She loves the ocean and/or any water so it would be hard to even camp in a campground that allowed dogs but not on the beaches.

Before I go to Florida I'll post a question to everyone at that time to find out what the attitude is regarding dogs.
I usually go to SC because I can take my dog on the beach with me. What state parks in Florida allow dogs on the beach? I would like to visit but want my dog to be able to play on the beach. Can you name some of Floridas state parks that allow dogs. Northern Florida is the preferable destination. Thanks
Jtantatmacdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:32 AM   #17

Ontario
Myron : Have a look at this website... Indigo Moon

There's lots about K/W there for you to read about.

Cheers, P.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:08 AM   #18

Name: Gail & Tom O
Trailer: Eggcamper 2010
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtantatmacdotcom View Post
I usually go to SC because I can take my dog on the beach with me. What state parks in Florida allow dogs on the beach? I would like to visit but want my dog to be able to play on the beach. Can you name some of Floridas state parks that allow dogs. Northern Florida is the preferable destination. Thanks
Try Clinch SP in Fernandina Beach.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:01 PM   #19

Name: James
Trailer: Surveyor
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail & Tom O.

Try Clinch SP in Fernandina Beach.
Their website states dogs are not allowed on the beach. Fort Clinch?
Jtantatmacdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote