KOA 'rules' too much?? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #29

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Stealing

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
Doug, ya koas. Are the last choice for me even though they are "nice" parks.
They steal from you once, that's their fault, but if they do it again its our fault!
Got caught once in 09 on our cross Canada trip Niagara Falls 75$.
KOA like any business has the right to charge what it wants for their product. You on the other hand have the choice to accept or reject their terms . How is it correct to call KOA thieves just because you are unhappy with their pricing policy?

Old 01-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #30

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I feel the same about those theme campgrounds, Jellystone I think is the name where it is more of an amusement park/campground atmosphere. Their fees compared to peace and quiet are way out of line.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #31

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
I've only stayed at one KOA (Burlington, WA) and don't recall anything about the dogs. I had four along and I don't think I paid anything extra for them. They have a nice meadow where the dogs are allowed to run off-leash, and unlike most KOA's, dogs were allowed in the cabins. Other than that, not my favorite campground as like most RV parks there are just rows of RV's and no real campsites (though their tent sites are actually quite nice as are the cabin sites.)
Downside there besides the rows of RVs is that there is a nearby racetrack that does fireworks after a race and that freaks the dogs out.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:16 AM   #32

Washington
Registry
I should add, I can see the reason for some of the rules. The campground I stayed at had a LOT of kids using the playground, riding bikes, etc, and limiting entrance probably helps keep them safer.

However, on the subject of vaccines- I have had two dogs (one currently) who cannot get any more vaccines (or won't unless a titer shows no protection.) The first had an autoimmune disease and a vaccine could have put her out of remission, and the second has a littermate who died from a similar autoimmune disease. He won't get any more vaccinations. But I have my vet write that in a statement, and I'll have a titer done to prove he is protected.

One reason a campground might require rabies would be if animals in the area were known to carry it. We went to a park in California where signs were up warning us about the wildlife having rabies (mainly foxes.)
Old 01-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #33

Name: Fred
Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Kootenay's of BC
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
KOA like any business has the right to charge what it wants for their product. You on the other hand have the choice to accept or reject their terms . How is it correct to call KOA thieves just because you are unhappy with their pricing policy?

Steal may be the wrong word but it gets the point across.
When the charge is double the going rate for a "nice" place, what would you call it?
Old 01-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #34

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
We have stayed at three KOAs and two quite recently. The first was in the 70s near Ohiopyle PA at a put in point for whitewater rafting on the Youghiogheny. It had the "Gong Show" type hosted contests and games which continued well past midnite what with the after party stumbling around. Two recent ones also in PA were reasonably pleasant and quiet. I think you can probably find some good, some subpar, and some awful KOAs.

jack
Old 01-26-2013, 11:51 AM   #35

Washington
Registry
I just checked on August weekend prices on the one I went to. For a 20/30 electric and water spot back-in (grassy area behind the trailer) $44, which is about $12 more than a state park spot. But it includes WiFi and use of facilities including a pool, so if you wanted those amenitites it might be worth it. We chose it for the leash-free meadow and dog-friendly cabins as I was there with a group with corgis. I don't think we paid that much so it has probably gone up.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:59 AM   #36

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
However, on the subject of vaccines- I have had two dogs (one currently) who cannot get any more vaccines (or won't unless a titer shows no protection.) The first had an autoimmune disease and a vaccine could have put her out of remission, and the second has a littermate who died from a similar autoimmune disease. He won't get any more vaccinations. But I have my vet write that in a statement, and I'll have a titer done to prove he is protected.
Titer, that is the name of the immunization check I was trying to remember. If you have recent proof of this, and a campground required a record of immunization, do you think it would suffice?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #37

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
Steal may be the wrong word but it gets the point across.
When the charge is double the going rate for a "nice" place, what would you call it?
I had a conversation with a Wisconsin KOA owner last summer about his rates . His campgrounds pays license fees , employees taxes , property taxes , inspection fees , salaries ,outside service fees , insurance, ETC . The State and County take his tax dollars and license fees ,open a public park with camping down the road and compete with him. He has to make a profit ,the government parks do not. The KOA parks in my area are only open 5 months out of the year due to cold weather yet their expenses continue all 12 months
In my area several campgrounds have closed up due to the economic climate.
I find it unfair to say they are overcharging for their services without knowing their costs
Old 01-26-2013, 12:17 PM   #38

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
"I just checked on August weekend prices on the one I went to. For a 20/30 electric and water spot back-in (grassy area behind the trailer) $44, which is about $12 more than a state park spot. But it includes WiFi and use of facilities including a pool, so if you wanted those amenitites it might be worth it. We chose it for the leash-free meadow and dog-friendly cabins as I was there with a group with corgis. I don't think we paid that much so it has probably gone up."

Comparing KOA to a SP is like comparing towing a 16' Scamp with a KIA or a truck, apples to oranges. KOA is a private cg, just like thousands of other Good Sam or Passport America. A state park is subsidized by your's and my tax dollars, so the $12 more could represent your contribution already paid.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #39

Pennsylvania
Registry
So there you have it, another tire/towing/weight/campground thread with 2 distinct views.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #40

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Titer, that is the name of the immunization check I was trying to remember. If you have recent proof of this, and a campground required a record of immunization, do you think it would suffice?
I think that would depend on the park, but I think it would normally be enough, especially if the statement came from your vet.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #41

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post

Comparing KOA to a SP is like comparing towing a 16' Scamp with a KIA or a truck, apples to oranges. KOA is a private cg, just like thousands of other Good Sam or Passport America. A state park is subsidized by your's and my tax dollars, so the $12 more could represent your contribution already paid.
My point was that the KOA was not double the going rate, and I agree with the previous poster who said the KOA has to make a profit. This one is open all year which may help keep costs down.

Some people like all those amenities and are willing to pay for them. And the parks have a lot of rules, too, frequently including a two-dog limit (I have three.)
One park someone recommended to me recently reserved the right to refuse you entry if they didn't like the looks of your rig.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:42 PM   #42

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I've liked most of the KOAs I've been to. The one in Greybull Wyoming is hands down the nicest, most well organized and run campground I've ever been to, ever and I'd be entirely happy to go back there.

The thing I hate about most campgrounds, and this is across the board public or private, is the tendency of many fellow campers to want to share their terrible taste in music with the ENTIRE place. So horrifyingly obnoxious.