KOA 'rules' too much?? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #21

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
One of the main reasons I've got a Scamp.. no dang hotels/ motels and bugs .. The bed bug issue is a bad one that and fleas let alone what you see with a UV light.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:52 PM   #22

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
There were no bugs at this one, but the shower looked like it could use a good cleaning...

Francesca
Attached Thumbnails
batesmotel.jpg  
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:32 PM   #23

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
We usually avoid "Resort/Destination/Vacation" c/g's like KOA's, but we once stopped at one near San Diego. We have a giant 13' Hunter pop-up and we usually put up a small pop-tent behind us to put all our extra stuff in for the night. I asked if this would be OK and were told "Sure, but it's $15 extra for a tent + there would have been an additional charge for anyone that dared sleep in said tent. If it was a 30' trailer there would have been no additional charge. BTW: We left

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:52 PM   #24

Name: Ginny
Trailer: Escape
Alaska
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
We usually avoid "Resort/Destination/Vacation" c/g's like KOA's, but we once stopped at one near San Diego. We have a giant 13' Hunter pop-up and we usually put up a small pop-tent behind us to put all our extra stuff in for the night. I asked if this would be OK and were told "Sure, but it's $15 extra for a tent + there would have been an additional charge for anyone that dared sleep in said tent. If it was a 30' trailer there would have been no additional charge. BTW: We left
Cranky old person that I am, I avoid KOA because there are too many things going on and too many kids running around. I like a nice quiet park full of grown-ups.
GingerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:14 PM   #25

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
I don't see anything THAT out of line with these rules. I've stayed places with similar.

One issue I saw at a park near Chicago was a specific dog breed bans. They claimed it was for insurance reasons. Sad really.

Derek
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #26

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... I still have some traces of distemper. I think I got it from spending too much time in the "Dog House".
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:14 AM   #27

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Mager View Post
Who says KOA's 'rules' are too confining???

This one is 'local'/N.W' Washington.

" A photo ID is required for registration. The reservation must be in the
name of the person registering.
Special permission is needed to put a tent on a site with your RV at a fee
of $20 per night plus the per person charge.
No firearms or fireworks of any kind allowed in the campground. Violaters
will be asked to leave the park at once without a refund.
No entry into the campground from 11:00PM to 8:30AM.
No more than 6 persons are allowed on a site including day guest.
DAY GUESTS ARE NOT ALLOWED IN THE PARK UNLESS PRE-REGISTERED. NO EXCEPTIONS
GUESTS UNDER THE AGE OF 6 ARE FREE; CHILDREN 6-18 ARE $4.00 PER DAY; ADULTS
ARE $5.00 PER DAY.
CHECK-IN TIME IS 2:00PM. CHECK-OUT TIME IS 11:00AM"

P.S. ...other than this, it IS a nice park!!
Doug, ya koas. Are the last choice for me even though they are "nice" parks.
They steal from you once, that's their fault, but if they do it again its our fault!
Got caught once in 09 on our cross Canada trip Niagara Falls 75$.
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:06 AM   #28

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
I've got strychnine in my veins!

Francesca
'splains a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
LOL I guess we on the west coast are a bit more laid back when it comes to dogs.
It would seem so, as I had not even heard of any of this in my travels which so far have only been through Western Canada and Wesernt US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
I think he was referring to a document that states ALL vaccines are current, not just rabies. That would include leptospirosis, parvovirus, distemper, etc. I get such a statement annually myself, just to be on the safe side. If you take your dog to events where other dogs are present, such as trainings, agility events, dog shows, etc., many times the organizers will require this proof.
Yeah, but most folks now realize that yearly shots are not needed for your dogs, no more than they are for us humans. Our new vet is young, and she is well on board with this idea, and suggests that if desired she could just do a blood test to see how the various immunization levels are.

Anyway, I digress. With border crossings only requiring proof of recent rabies vaccination, you would think the campgrounds would do the same.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #29

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Stealing

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
Doug, ya koas. Are the last choice for me even though they are "nice" parks.
They steal from you once, that's their fault, but if they do it again its our fault!
Got caught once in 09 on our cross Canada trip Niagara Falls 75$.
KOA like any business has the right to charge what it wants for their product. You on the other hand have the choice to accept or reject their terms . How is it correct to call KOA thieves just because you are unhappy with their pricing policy?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #30

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I feel the same about those theme campgrounds, Jellystone I think is the name where it is more of an amusement park/campground atmosphere. Their fees compared to peace and quiet are way out of line.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #31

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I've only stayed at one KOA (Burlington, WA) and don't recall anything about the dogs. I had four along and I don't think I paid anything extra for them. They have a nice meadow where the dogs are allowed to run off-leash, and unlike most KOA's, dogs were allowed in the cabins. Other than that, not my favorite campground as like most RV parks there are just rows of RV's and no real campsites (though their tent sites are actually quite nice as are the cabin sites.)
Downside there besides the rows of RVs is that there is a nearby racetrack that does fireworks after a race and that freaks the dogs out.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:16 AM   #32

Registry
I should add, I can see the reason for some of the rules. The campground I stayed at had a LOT of kids using the playground, riding bikes, etc, and limiting entrance probably helps keep them safer.

However, on the subject of vaccines- I have had two dogs (one currently) who cannot get any more vaccines (or won't unless a titer shows no protection.) The first had an autoimmune disease and a vaccine could have put her out of remission, and the second has a littermate who died from a similar autoimmune disease. He won't get any more vaccinations. But I have my vet write that in a statement, and I'll have a titer done to prove he is protected.

One reason a campground might require rabies would be if animals in the area were known to carry it. We went to a park in California where signs were up warning us about the wildlife having rabies (mainly foxes.)
Old 01-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #33

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
KOA like any business has the right to charge what it wants for their product. You on the other hand have the choice to accept or reject their terms . How is it correct to call KOA thieves just because you are unhappy with their pricing policy?

Steal may be the wrong word but it gets the point across.
When the charge is double the going rate for a "nice" place, what would you call it?
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #34

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
We have stayed at three KOAs and two quite recently. The first was in the 70s near Ohiopyle PA at a put in point for whitewater rafting on the Youghiogheny. It had the "Gong Show" type hosted contests and games which continued well past midnite what with the after party stumbling around. Two recent ones also in PA were reasonably pleasant and quiet. I think you can probably find some good, some subpar, and some awful KOAs.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:51 AM   #35

Registry
I just checked on August weekend prices on the one I went to. For a 20/30 electric and water spot back-in (grassy area behind the trailer) $44, which is about $12 more than a state park spot. But it includes WiFi and use of facilities including a pool, so if you wanted those amenitites it might be worth it. We chose it for the leash-free meadow and dog-friendly cabins as I was there with a group with corgis. I don't think we paid that much so it has probably gone up.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:59 AM   #36

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
However, on the subject of vaccines- I have had two dogs (one currently) who cannot get any more vaccines (or won't unless a titer shows no protection.) The first had an autoimmune disease and a vaccine could have put her out of remission, and the second has a littermate who died from a similar autoimmune disease. He won't get any more vaccinations. But I have my vet write that in a statement, and I'll have a titer done to prove he is protected.
Titer, that is the name of the immunization check I was trying to remember. If you have recent proof of this, and a campground required a record of immunization, do you think it would suffice?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #37

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
Steal may be the wrong word but it gets the point across.
When the charge is double the going rate for a "nice" place, what would you call it?
I had a conversation with a Wisconsin KOA owner last summer about his rates . His campgrounds pays license fees , employees taxes , property taxes , inspection fees , salaries ,outside service fees , insurance, ETC . The State and County take his tax dollars and license fees ,open a public park with camping down the road and compete with him. He has to make a profit ,the government parks do not. The KOA parks in my area are only open 5 months out of the year due to cold weather yet their expenses continue all 12 months
In my area several campgrounds have closed up due to the economic climate.
I find it unfair to say they are overcharging for their services without knowing their costs
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:17 PM   #38

Pennsylvania
Registry
"I just checked on August weekend prices on the one I went to. For a 20/30 electric and water spot back-in (grassy area behind the trailer) $44, which is about $12 more than a state park spot. But it includes WiFi and use of facilities including a pool, so if you wanted those amenitites it might be worth it. We chose it for the leash-free meadow and dog-friendly cabins as I was there with a group with corgis. I don't think we paid that much so it has probably gone up."

Comparing KOA to a SP is like comparing towing a 16' Scamp with a KIA or a truck, apples to oranges. KOA is a private cg, just like thousands of other Good Sam or Passport America. A state park is subsidized by your's and my tax dollars, so the $12 more could represent your contribution already paid.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #39

Pennsylvania
Registry
So there you have it, another tire/towing/weight/campground thread with 2 distinct views.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #40

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Titer, that is the name of the immunization check I was trying to remember. If you have recent proof of this, and a campground required a record of immunization, do you think it would suffice?
I think that would depend on the park, but I think it would normally be enough, especially if the statement came from your vet.