Lake Powhatan, NC near Asheville - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2017, 02:27 PM   #1

Name: john
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Georgia
Lake Powhatan, NC near Asheville

We are planning a trip in early May, and Lake Powhatan has many sites with full hookups that are "walkup" - no reservations.
Has anyone been to this campground? We are wondering what our chances of getting one of these 1st come campsites, starting on Sunday pm thru Wed am? Thanks for your help.
ripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 04:02 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
I have stayed here and and Davidson River in Brevard. There is also Mill River between the two but am not familiar with it. I found Lake Powhatan with nice sites, OK showers and level campsites. Be aware the gate locks at, I believe 10:00, after which you have to park and face what could be a long hike.

I found Davidson River much more friendly, not as many electrical sites, similar showers. It will be where I return this September.

This campground, as others, is run by volunteers. They have an exceptional crew that "work" the checkin and maintenance.

My all time favorite private campground is nearby, Mama Gerties. An great choice, with more amenities, a different experience. Excellent reviews. Go large and pay the price for the mountain top campsites.
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:47 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
I think you'll be fine without reservations in early May; especially with a Sunday thru Wednesday stay. Still, I'd call to get input from the staff. Our experience with the volunteers when we stayed there was similar to Paul's.

Be sure to visit the NC Arboretum which is next door to the campground. The only charge is for parking.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:40 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
For a September arrival to Davidson River I made a single night reservation for a non electric site (all that was available). At check in that evening I asked to be put on the electric site wait list. Voila, come morning we were informed we could move to an electric site and stay for whatever time we wanted subject to limits on length of stay.
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote