Longer campground stays - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-11-2013, 01:40 PM   #15

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot 13'
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L. View Post
Since I travel alone and my mobility and endurance is somewhat limited, what I do can be limited by what I think I can “recover” from.

Put the bumper clothesline up for drying towels/washcloths, etc.
May set up gazebo or use the “hamster ball” popup gazebo.
Okay I have to know what is the "hamster ball" popup gazebo????

Old 06-11-2013, 04:52 PM   #16

Name: Loyce
Trailer: Hunter 1
Oregon
Registry
I freeze my water in closed 2 liter bottles, they cool the ice chest and then provide drinking water. I would cut the top off one, fill it about 1/3 full freeze, then put my shrimp in top with water and freeze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
A friend of mine had a great idea related to that- she was going to fix shrimp one night, so her plan is to freeze the bag of shrimp INTO one of her ice blocks for the icebox. By the time she needs it the block will have thawed but in the meantime the shrimp will be frozen. I just need to find something to use to freeze blocks if I want to do something like that.

I don't think my Mom still has the FoodSaver she used to have but I'll check. Ziploc bags should work if she doesn't.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:28 PM   #17

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

Greetings Bobbie! And whatever you may gleen from all these great replies...enjoy your adventure!

My wife and i full time in a 38ft Mobile Suite currently set up with monthly rates at a Golf/RV Resort on the Oregon Coast. That is as close to living in one place as we want to be at this point in our life!

But when we go on our once a month Monday>Friday adventure in our Van Conversion + Parkliner we have a regular routine. We look at 5 days at a time because our current set up is great at working for that duration. If we are out longer, we go into town, do some laundry and restock...ready for another five days (fresh food/ice/etc). We prefer a Monday>Friday adventure, and being back home on the "Weekends" because we are pretty much solitary-Happy Hermits and camp in National Forestry camps or similar off-grid/boondocking.

Soooo...5 days at a time...
In Van Conversion:
YETI Tundra 70qt with dry goods (bear resistant)
(nuts/dehydrated food-meals/etc)
ENGLE Deep Blue 70qt wet-goods (bear resistant) ~20lbs of ice.
(Frozen food/meals, veggies. Keeps sub 40 deg for ~6 days, restock on 5th)
(enough food & water for ~2 weeks at all times)
15 gallons water in three 5 gallon jugs.

In Parkliner Fiberglass Trailer:
2.5CuFt ice box Block ice (Veggies. Keeps sub 40 deg for ~6 days, restock on 5th)
Cupboards: various dehydrated food-meals, nuts, etc...
(enough food & water for ~2 weeks at all times)
15 gallons water in built in tank.

Last in (Frozen foods) First out rule. The first two days we will have frozen meals out of the ENGLE. Days 3/4 combination of salads/fruits/nuts. Day 4/5 fruits/nuts/dehydrated food-meals (such as MT.House etc)

On food storage:
We used to pre-pack with our food saver but then we found the ziplock vacuum pump & bags and have switched over. With the ziplock we can package foods when we get back to the camp after a restock (if going on a longer adventure.)

On camp set up:
We sleep in our Van Conversion and Entertain/Dine/Relax in our Parkliner.

We like the idea of just pulling out the leveler/chock and driving off rather than having any "Camp" to break down. That said...

IF the weather is nice (we camp exclusively in the Pacific Northwest) we may setup the Fiama F45 awning on the van. And we recently purchased a free standing 12' x 12' awning to set up off the camp/curb side of the Parkliner. The biggest issue for us is the typical afternoon winds that can wreck havoc on awnings.

If we know we are going to be in a camp for several 5-day stents we will put up one or both of our 16ft Kelty Noah's Tarps. But its really got to be a nice forcast before we do that much work.

On Cooking: Most of our meat type meals we would cook outdoors right outside the rigs on a small aluminum table and the portable butane stove. IF the weather is bad/wet and we know we are looking at being inside we will go with non-cooking/smelly type meals. The dehydrated meal-in-a-bag meals are amazing. There are several that, if taken out and placed on a nice plate you would not know they came from a bag that had just had boiling water in it for ~12 minutes! This way we will not have any smells in our rigs from cooking.

: ) Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:39 PM   #18

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Not much changes for us on equipment. More snacks, more reading material, a bit more clothing.

Might as others have said set up a bit more for a longer stay, say hanging the bug netting on the pop-up canopy.

More research on what is in the area in terms of activities or points of interest since I have more time. I tend to want to relax but if I have a week or more doing a couple of the area attractions does not seem "rushed".
Old 06-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #19

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
Thom, which meals in a bag are particularly good? I haven't tried any of those things since the early 70s. When I'm by myself I usually don't do a lot of cooking- frozen foods for a day, then things like brats in buns (microwaved) or frito boats. When I'm with a group we usually have some group meals to mix things up.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #20

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

Quote:
Thom, which meals in a bag are particularly good? I haven't tried any of those things since the early 70s...
Hi Bobbie : )

Here are the ones we use on a regular basis. The Mountain House meals are typically available at most food chain stores and even Costco locations. REI will usually stock all three brands..but are higher retail and rarely have "sales" that we've seen on our visits. If we had to go with one brand it would be Mt.House because the meals/flavors are consistently good and locally available at decent prices.

AlpineAire Foods

Backpacker's Pantry

Mountain House Foods

The only issue with most of these meal-in-a-bag meals is they are typically two servings. Though i would imagine one could let any leftovers cool down and then put them into one of the ziplock bags, pop in the ice/cooler, and have it the next day. I've not tried to do the left over thingy cuz we gobble it all up in one meal between Cari and I. BUT if i was going it alone i would try it. Just follow safe food practices and you should be fine.

WE LOVE the simplicity of these meals. There is a Mt.House "Chicken Breast and Mashed Potatoes" meal that one could serve to dinner guests and they'd think you'd have slaved over the oven/stove all afternoon. And it only takes 2 cups of boiling water in the bag, 12 minutes of re-hydration, and WaLa!~ a wonderful meal, trail or not. And don't let the online prices scare you away from the idea. We've seen this same meal priced as low as $3.49 at our local grocers and close to that at Walmarts. Typical price will be ~$5~$6 ...IMO, not bad for an easy to cook & tasty meal for two adults. And we are usually stuffed. So we save $$ i suppose cuz we don't run to the cupboard looking for desert : )

Also, they weigh next to nothing and take up little room. We fill several upper cupboards in the trailer, and also stuff several (read weeks) worth of meals in the forward upper peak over the cab in our van conversion. If i actually counted how many meals of this type we have between the two i would say we've got yummy & nutritious meals for maybe 5 to 6 weeks between the two rigs.

Throw in the fact that we always have our Kelly Kettle and Katadyn Base Camp Water Filter we could probably bug out anytime and be fine for several weeks.

Cheers,
Thom

as a PS comment...
We will typically have one main meal about brunch time and really start our day off nice. THEN we will snack on almonds/nuts, fresh fruit and veggies for the rest of the day. That is our ZEN side showing through.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #21

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Thom, which meals in a bag are particularly good? I haven't tried any of those things since the early 70s. When I'm by myself I usually don't do a lot of cooking- frozen foods for a day, then things like brats in buns (microwaved) or frito boats. When I'm with a group we usually have some group meals to mix things up.
You really don't need expensive freeze dried foods. The grocery shelves are filled with good meals without the expense and the sometime trots that come with freeze dried.
Uncle Ben's rice and a can of tuna or beef or etc.
Pasta's and a can of beef or port, or shrimp.
There's tons of that kind of stuff.

Lunches are usually crackers and cheese, or other finger food.

Breakfasts can be instant oatmeal, granola, a cooked egg, a pancake or two.

A little bit of trail mix will round things out or could add a some fruit cups, yogurt, jello cups with fruit. A can of bean salad. Mini carrots keep well.

Do a on-line search for one pot meals recipes.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #22

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
We use Moutain House freeze dried foods as well and like them. It is amazing how much progress they have made since 10-20 years ago. We use them particularly while backpacking. While camping in our Scamp we enjoy spending more time preparing and eating our food so we use them less often for that type of camping.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #23

Washington
Registry
I know there are lots of grocery store foods that work but sometimes it is nice to have something special. I like fettucini with sauce and salmon and I know I can find dry versions of the fettucini and sauce, for example, and add salmon or tuna.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #24

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Exclamation

...reading the above posts after my original mentioning of the freeze dried meals...

Recall from my OP that it is typically on days 4/5 that we resort to the freeze dried meals (that we thoroughly enjoy!). Before that it is fresh meals or "shelf" meals as others called them.

And we've never had any "trots" caused by eating any of these meals in a bag. Maybe that was in the 70's ...but not likely with these high quality products.

One other thing, when comparing some of the sodium levels of the bag meals verses the total sodium from various canned foods that would be needed to make a whole meal... there is often times less sodium in the bag than in the can(s) combined. And in the case of the Chicken breast + Mashed Potatoes there is 800mg of sodium per serving, actually quite normal for a home cooked meal.

Thom
Old 06-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #25

Washington
Registry
How is the MH beef stroganoff? I'd like to stock at least a couple of those kinds of things in the trailer anyway.

I always end up with more food than I use so stuff that keeps until the next trip is always a plus.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:04 PM   #26
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
If you want dried meals that you can just add water to, check out Freezer Bag Cooking. I use this method for backpacking, all my friends insist that I make up the food on all of our trips. I only carry a 32-ounce pot and alcohol stove, and I don't want to be doing dishes in the dark and leaving food smell all over. Once you do it a few times, you will come up with your own recipes and get lots of ideas. A food dehydrator is necessary, but I've seen freeze-dried veggies and fruit at Target. You could use an oven on warm if you absolutely don't want a dehydrator. I put the meals into foodsaver bags, little more compact. And if you were in a camper, you wouldn't need to eat out of the bag.

On the bike or in the camper, I can go about 5 days with what I carry before I need to hit a store. That's also usually about when I need to do laundry, unless I want people avoiding me.

Frozen stuff for the first 2-3 days, depends on weather. Then either dried stores or local food.

On a longer trip we'll bring things like our rice cooker and grill. Most of our diet is raw fruit and vegetables, so it's pretty easy to restock.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:08 PM   #27

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Quote:
How is the MH beef stroganoff?...I always end up with more food than I use so stuff that keeps until the next trip is always a plus.
Every _flavor_ we've tried we would purchase again.

And most dates on these go out 5 years for storage life.

On making your own...Yup we used to have a nice stainless steel 5 shelf dehydrator in our stick built house and the food saver unit. When we moved full time into our Mobile Suite there were some things that had to go! Just not enough room in the kitchen for our old lifestyle. But we wanted to leave parts behind anyway : )
Old 06-12-2013, 05:17 AM   #28

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
It is nice to find out some of you guys are preppers even if you don't think you are. I love the FD foods and buy ours online at Sams. I think they have the best prices even over Costco. Some things I wouldnt buy again but what I don't eat the kids will! I buy in the #10 cans and when I open them I put the rest in a mason jar and use the Food Saver to vacuum out the air. I have rice that is over 3 years old now and you wouldn't know it. I can't take the mason jars with me in a camper so I use the bags for that. Mountain House is known for the best taste in FD foods. I don't eat much of those because of price but still have them just in case. Another cheap but good meal are the Hormel Compleats. They are 2 bucks each but when I get a dollar off coupon I stack up. They last for a couple of years. I call all this stuff emergency food.
But I think half the fun is cooking in the outdoors so I won't eat out of a bag unless the SHTF. The FS has saved us a lot of money. We ONLY shop at Sams so we get stuff in the big bags then use the FS to make smaller meals either in bags or mason jars.
If would be nice to have a section for tips and tricks for Preppers. I think it goes with camping. My goal is making our egg into a bug out camper! Maybe by next year. As far as water goes, Berkey water.
Like to hear from others...