Looking for a Destination within 4 hours South of Detroit - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-02-2012, 01:17 PM   #15

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeE View Post
I recommend Mary Jane Thurston State Park Campground. It's not really all that far from you but it's convenient to get to. You could be camping right on the water and it's very beautiful. There is a restored waterpowered mill and you can ride on the canal that you and your kids would enjoy.
It is an Ohio state park Grand Rapids Ohio. Mary Jane Thurston State Park

MikeE

Thanks, Mike. It gets good reviews.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: 1972 Boler American ('The USS NeverSail')
Tennessee
Registry
I haven't been there in a long time, but I remember Crane Creek State Park near Toledo as being very nice. Then again I could be biased as my grandfather helped to build the park when he worked in the CCC.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:40 PM   #17

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
To close this out, we ended up going to Maumee Bay State park, east of Toledo.

The park is about 20 years old, but looks like new. The downside, for me, was that the biggest trees were also 20 years old, which means not a lot of shade. In the cool, rainy weather it didn't much matter.

There are over 200 sites situated on a series of side roads, each ending in a cul de sac. Water taps and grey water disposal drains are sprinkled through the campground. The sites are level asphalt with 30 / 20 amp electricity, but no water or sewer hookups. There is a waste dump and water refill station at the entry as well as a nice camp store. Bathrooms have two showers each that were clean and worked well. A coin laundry is located near the center of the campground.

The rest of the park has two large beaches - one on Lake Erie and a second on a small inland lake adjacent to the big lake. A canoe, kayak and bicycle rental operates seasonally. There is a resort with restaurant on site if you want to spring for something fancier. Elsewhere on the property are rental cottages. The campground has rental yurts and camping huts for the RV-less.

Nearby are a series of wildlife refuges, as this is a migration pathway over the lake. Magee marsh is world famous for birders with extensive boardwalks. As we had our pooch, we couldn't do the boardwalks. The campground also has a mowed pathway around the perimeter and a paved bike path to leading to the beach / resort area.

Ohio State Parks - Maumee Bay State Park