Looking for a Destination within 4 hours South of Detroit - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-01-2012, 06:31 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Posts: 5,103
Looking for a Destination within 4 hours South of Detroit

I was planning a trip to Ludington, MI next weekend, but the forecast is for COLD. Since, I'm flexible, I'm thinking that I should be heading south.

Any recommendations for somewhere within about 250 miles south of the Detroit area?

My preference is a public park, electricity not essential.
__________________

__________________
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/529276933859491/
Thomas G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:21 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Posts: 1,115
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
There are some very nice Indiana State Parks near French Lick, IN that have been used for the annual Indiana spring fish fry. One of them is at Lake Patoka and the other is at Spring Mill State Park near Mitchell. Both of these are south of Bloomington, IN. The Prophetstown State Park near LaFayette, IN is also nice and close to lots of historic areas.
__________________

__________________
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:31 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Posts: 5,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
There are some very nice Indiana State Parks near French Lick, IN that have been used for the annual Indiana spring fish fry. One of them is at Lake Patoka and the other is at Spring Mill State Park near Mitchell. Both of these are south of Bloomington, IN. The Prophetstown State Park near LaFayette, IN is also nice and close to lots of historic areas.
These look great, but are unfortunately about 7 hours+ from me. This is only a 3 day weekend jaunt.
__________________
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/529276933859491/
Thomas G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:08 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Posts: 1,320
hmm as much driving as i have done south threw ohio, indiana and such i really do not have a good grip on their camping grounds. all of mine has been at truck stops down there. i know kentucky and tenn. have some beautiful country. and slightly more mild temps this time of year.
i think the problem is 250 miles pretty much keeps you in ohio . indiana . illiinois. so maybe you need to focus on a destination or event , say for example, the air museum in ohio, or they have an amaising bicycle museum, football hall of fame , rock and roll hall of fame, stuff like that that you might like to see .my wife and i took a trip down just to see the bicycle museum last year was a 3,1/2 hour trip, but we didn't camp.
__________________
Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by doing so, some have entertained angels unaware.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:37 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
Posts: 177
Well, you could maybe find a place to visit at Roadside America, Roadside America - Guide to Uniquely Odd Tourist Attractions and then find a place to stay from/after that.

MonB
__________________
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Posts: 5,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by monB View Post
Well, you could maybe find a place to visit at Roadside America, Roadside America - Guide to Uniquely Odd Tourist Attractions and then find a place to stay from/after that.

MonB
That's a great site.
__________________
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/529276933859491/
Thomas G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:26 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
Posts: 1,305
If you like car museums there is the Auburn/Cord/Duesenburg museum at Auburn, IN or the Studebaker museum in South Bend, IN. Both are in their former factories.
__________________
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:54 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Posts: 1,115
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Sorry, Tom. I didn't catch your starting point in Michigan. How about something near Elkhart, IN? You could visit some RV spots. We also liked a campground near Jackson, MI in the Waterloo State Recreation area, but that is west of you, not south. If you want a rustic but beautiful camping experience, you could try Zane Caverns just east of Bellefontaine, Ohio. This would be about 175 miles south of Detroit. This campground is owned and run by the United Remnant Branch of the Ohio Shawnee and offers a neat cave tour and a small fishing lake. Cost is about $25 per night. We have been there several times for the annual summer pow-wow.
__________________
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Posts: 5,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
If you like car museums there is the Auburn/Cord/Duesenburg museum at Auburn, IN or the Studebaker museum in South Bend, IN. Both are in their former factories.
Great suggestion. This destination has been on my list, but this trip is with the pooch and I think I should stick to more hiking and less sightseeing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
Sorry, Tom. I didn't catch your starting point in Michigan. How about something near Elkhart, IN? You could visit some RV spots. We also liked a campground near Jackson, MI in the Waterloo State Recreation area, but that is west of you, not south. If you want a rustic but beautiful camping experience, you could try Zane Caverns just east of Bellefontaine, Ohio. This would be about 175 miles south of Detroit. This campground is owned and run by the United Remnant Branch of the Ohio Shawnee and offers a neat cave tour and a small fishing lake. Cost is about $25 per night. We have been there several times for the annual summer pow-wow.
Interesting possibility. I'll have to see if DW is interested.



Keep these great suggestions coming.
__________________
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/529276933859491/
Thomas G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:22 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Randy Schafer's Avatar
 
Name: Randy & Sandy
Trailer: Compact Jr
Michigan
Posts: 12
Registry
Tom, we will be camping this weekend in southern MI. The weatherman out of Kazoo said a 25% chance of snow Saturday night!! So going south sure sounds like the way to go if you don't want to earn your polar bear badge!! Have fun wherever you end up going.
__________________
Randy Schafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Posts: 5,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Schafer View Post
Tom, we will be camping this weekend in southern MI. The weatherman out of Kazoo said a 25% chance of snow Saturday night!! So going south sure sounds like the way to go if you don't want to earn your polar bear badge!! Have fun wherever you end up going.
Yea, just my luck. Last summer I headed to the UP only to find it 95 degrees in the shade.

Has anyone stayed at Maumee Bay State park near Toledo?
__________________
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/529276933859491/
Thomas G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Posts: 1,115
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Sorry, no. In northern Ohio, we've only stayed in a nice campground nw of Youngstown near Newton Falls ( north of the ammo range).
__________________
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #13
Junior Member
 
MikeE's Avatar
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: Casita 17SD
Arizona
Posts: 13
Registry
I recommend Mary Jane Thurston State Park Campground. It's not really all that far from you but it's convenient to get to. You could be camping right on the water and it's very beautiful. There is a restored waterpowered mill and you can ride on the canal that you and your kids would enjoy.
It is an Ohio state park Grand Rapids Ohio. http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/parks/tabid/768/Default.aspx

MikeE
__________________
MikeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:57 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
Posts: 1,305
Maumee Bay state park in Ohio is a nice park. If you like birdwatching, Magee Marsh is nearby.
__________________

__________________
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Detroit: Amerigo $500 Peter_Crowl Referrals: Molded Fiberglass Trailers 15 02-18-2011 07:57 PM
SOLD - 1982 Scamp 13', Detroit CL Pat B Ohio Classified Archives 1 08-11-2008 07:59 AM
destination: carport Legacy Posts Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Archive) 21 01-21-2003 08:06 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.