Looking For: Secluded Campsites in PA - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-04-2014, 11:29 AM   #1

Name: Brenda
Trailer: Scamp
Pennsylvania
Looking For: Secluded Campsites in PA

My husband and I love our Scamp, but are finding it difficult to discover secluded campsites in PA. Most RV/trailer sites are on top of one another with little to no privacy. We deeply value our privacy when camping and enjoying the quiet and peace of nature. We are open to going electricity free, with possible use of a generator or solar. Do any of you have any suggestions? I'm especially interested in South-Central PA locations.
BrendaLeeFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:51 AM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
We often camp on "tent only" sites. To do so, you will have to become familiar with each campground and their rules.

One of our favourite sites up here in Ontario is set up for online booking and we can't select a trailer as equipment to register online. We can book by calling the campground directly and let them know we are bringing a trailer that we know will fit onto the site.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:52 PM   #3

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
Last September we camped at Laurel Hill State Park in the Laurel Highlands. It was the week after the Labor Day Weekend and schools were back in session. I think there were less than a dozen sites occupied in the entire park. Easy drive from there to the Frank Lloyd house "Falling Water", the Flight 93 memorial and many other sights. Or just lounge around camp, it was a beautiful park and we had our choice of electric sites.

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:00 PM   #4

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
allegheny national forest

Sent from my XT1028 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:32 PM   #5

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Boy, no kidding Brenda! We camped at two full service sites on the way home from NC weekend before last, and both we were like sardines! North340 in Waynesboro VA was particularly bad (though a nice campground), as was Lehigh Gorge near White Haven PA. We have found NYS campgrounds outside the Adirondack and Catskill State Parks to be the best, as they will have at least power. None of the state campgrounds in the state parks have power. We've had good sites at state campgrounds at Allegany and Keuka.

Good luck!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:54 AM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul
Black Moshannon State Park is now one of our favorites. Central PA near State College. Sites are fairly large (many PA State Parks have tiny sites).

Pine Grove Furnace State Park, near Gettysburg is small (number of camp sites) but a gem. Located at the center of the Appalachia Trail with a trail museum.

Locust Lake State Park, near Pottsville (central PA) is quite nice. Reasonable sized sites if I recall correctly. There is a hiking path up a mountain (ok,a hill by most measures) with a beautiful view of the lake.

Gifford Pinchot State Park has a few very enjoyable sites. Sites 114, 115 and 116 are out on a point next to the lake with very nice sunset views.

PA State parks seem to generally have small to very small sites so they will not feel like you are all alone in the woods.

Craig T.
Craig D. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:12 AM   #7

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Can't speak directly to those specific areas but rustic (vault toilet, hand pump water) campgrounds are generally much less densely populated. Not sure a generator would be terribly welcome but I would guess a solar panel would start some interesting conversations.

Many National Forest lands have access roads if you don't mind getting very rustic. Same with State Forest lands. No amenities, not even water or even sites just rough access roads and find a place to camp. Fire regulations, waste (human) and trash disposal rules need to be known.

You might want to get a site near an interesting area of State or National Forest, then drop the camper and check out the access roads in the TV just to find out the road conditions. Much better to have to back up just the vehicle for a mile if the road turns out to be impassable.

Google Earth satellite view can be a good source of maps and the respective services may also provide them.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:34 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Looking for secluded campsites in pa

TRY USING THIS SITE NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE GOING TO CAMP.

Campgrounds for Camping RV Parks, State Parks USA

DAVE & PAULA
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:37 AM   #9

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
I use the RV Parky app. It is amazing!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:03 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaLeeFree View Post
My husband and I love our Scamp, but are finding it difficult to discover secluded campsites in PA. Most RV/trailer sites are on top of one another with little to no privacy. We deeply value our privacy when camping and enjoying the quiet and peace of nature. We are open to going electricity free, with possible use of a generator or solar. Do any of you have any suggestions? I'm especially interested in South-Central PA locations.

I'm not sure what part of the State this is in but here's a good place to start looking LINK
Old 05-24-2016, 09:03 AM   #11

Name: Brenda
Pennsylvania
Thanks everyone for your suggestions!
BrendaLeeFree is offline   Reply With Quote