Make Your Plans For August 21 2017 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-01-2008, 08:16 AM   #1

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
Since we couldn't make it to the Arctic or China for today's eclipse, I thought I would mark the calendar and start hunting for camping locations along the path for the next full eclipse that will be visible across the US. http://www.hermit.org/Eclipse/2017-08-21/

Good excuse for multiple rallies in multiple locations!
Attached Thumbnails
EclipsePath.gif  
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:08 AM   #2

Trailer: Compact Jr 1972
Do you want a clear-sky campsite for the Oregon Total Solar Eclipse?

Make a camping reservation to see the total solar eclipse in eastern Oregon on August 21, 2017 ! All Oregon State Park regular and temporary campsites were full by the time I wholeheartedly looked into getting a site. However, I did secure two back-to-back non-State park boondocking trailer sites in John Day, Oregon. These are not regular campsites, but part of a large field in their Industrial Park (which in the photos looks way more "huge grassy field" than "industrial site") that the City of John Day is renting out for the eclipse weekend. The site I reserved next to mine is for August 19 & 20th, leaving the 21st. The eclipse is in the morning, and special glasses are required to view it's duration. (I ordered some on-line; see the OR State Parks eclipse site.) Of course eastern Oregon is expected to have fewer or no clouds compared to western Oregon. The cost is $220 which you would owe me. I am looking for some congenial people with a small fiberglass RV to get that site next to me so that I and my red Husky mix will have someone to socialize with.
Attached Thumbnails
John Day Indust Park for 8-2017.jpg  
Cory Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:23 PM   #3

Trailer: Compact Jr 1972
Total Solar Eclipse John Day OR opportunity -- corrections

A couple of corrections--- I switched the sites so now they're side-by-side.
Also, I found out they are having their engineering guys set up individual water for each RV, so it's not boondocking that way! There will be porta-potties. My reservation paper also boasts "RV Sanitation" (I assume that's an RV dump), "garbage bin", and (surprise!) "Wifi". Pets allowed on a leash & of course they request you clean up after them.
Attached Thumbnails
eclipse route_26 poster.jpg  
Cory Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:27 AM   #4

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
We were looking in Tenn and everything near the path of totality was booked a month ago. We will park at home family near Knoxville.

The online supply of special glasses are getting thin too, at least on Amazon. A lot of the "good deals" are sold out, leaving higher end or really cheap for what is available.

You can use #14 welding shield glass which may be available locally. I was at harbor freight and what they had in stock for welding glasses or shields was #10 glass which is not enough filter to be safe.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:10 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
I was in Home Depot yesterday and they had glasses. Also eclipse guide books.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote