Mather Campground, Grand Canyon - YouTube Video - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-26-2013, 10:19 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Mather Campground, Grand Canyon - YouTube Video

Saw this YouTube Video Posted on RV Net.Com. Seems the Video was made & posted by someone with a Casita. His Signature says, fulltiming since August 2005 & has a photo of a Casita.

Mather Campground, Grand Canyon

Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Hi there,
I am a former full timer in a Casita. Now living at the Grand Canyon. This is my video and there is also one of Trailer Village at the Grand Canyon. Two days ago I made one of the North Rim Campground and will publish it soon. Hope to help out all my old friends. Unfortunately i sold my Casita, but i am looking for another one maybe next spring. You can see my other videos if you look up Joseph Castine on youtube. feel free to cross post the videos.
Joseph and Melanie Castine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:12 PM   #3

Name: Steve and Janna
Trailer: '02 Scamp 13
North Carolina
Registry
Joseph, thank you for all of your Grand Canyon You Tube postings!

We are thinking of heading to the canyon next summer with our 13 footer - probably July. We like to hike & mountain bike and prefer quieter campgrounds. The north rim has always intrigued me. I'm sure Janna will prefer a site with 110v access.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
Steve_N_Janna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
120VAC in a GC campground???
Stay outside the canyon on the south rim and, if you want to go next July be sure to make your reservations by December 2013 and, BTW: Don't expect secluded or quiet.

I believe that the Grand Canyon is now the most visited National Park in the country.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #5

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I believe that the Grand Canyon is now the most visited National Park in the country.
No, that would still be the Great Smoky Mountains. The reason being that it is accessable by half the US population in a one day drive. BTW it is still the only scenic Park that has no entrance fee.

Ten Most Visited Parks | National Parks Conservation Association

The Grand Canyon is second though. But with fewer than half the visitors of the GSM.

National ParkRecreational
Park Visits1.Great Smoky Mountains National Park (TN, NC)9,685,8292.Grand Canyon National Park (AZ)4,421,3523.Yosemite National Park (CA)3,853,4044.Yellowstone National Park (WY, MT, ID)3,447,7295.Rocky Mountain National Park (CO)3,229,6176.Zion National Park (UT)2,973,6077.Olympic National Park (WA)2,824,9088.Grand Teton National Park (WY)2,705,2569.Acadia National Park (ME)2,431,05210.Cuyahoga Valley National Park (OH)2,299,722
Source: National Park Service
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:13 PM   #6

Grand Canyon

We are thinking of heading to the canyon next summer with our 13 footer - probably July. We like to hike & mountain bike and prefer quieter campgrounds. The north rim has always intrigued me. I'm sure Janna will prefer a site with 110v access.

Any recommendations?

There are no hookups at Mather, but for $18 you can't beat it. Like the other poster wrote, make your reservations 6 months in advance (you can always cancel).
There are also no hookups at the North Rim Campground. Also books up early, it is much smaller. I will post a video i made of a walk-through of the North Rim Campground I hope by next week.

There is a private campground in Tusayan just outside the park and there is a free NPS shuttle from May to September i think. It is more expensive than Trailer Village in Grand Canyon Village. I have not visited it.
Grand Canyon Camper Village location and amenities

Old 08-08-2013, 06:30 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Steve, if your need of AC electric is for cooling the egg (A/C), normally the weather due to the elevations of both sides, but especially the north side should be cool enough not to need electric sites. IMHO.

If you can live without hookups: In a less developed area, the NPS Desert View Campground, at the east entrance to the park (25 miles/ 41km to the east of Grand Canyon Village,) is first-come, first-served only.
No reservations are accepted. There are no RV hook-ups at Desert View.

Campgrounds - South Rim - Grand Canyon National Park

This is in high, dry Arizona, you should not need electricity for the A/C. It will be cool up there....even if warm in the daytime.

We have used the Forest Service Campground near Flagstaff & Sunset Crater Nat'l Mon'l to do a day trip to the canyon in the past. Also first come/first served & no hookups. Bonito Campground

Other Forest Service Campgrounds.

North Rim: DeMotte Campground which is located within the North Kaibab Ranger District just 7 miles north of the entrance to the Grand Canyon National Park's North Rim. Half of the sites are available on a first-come, first-served basis, and the other half are available with reservations.

Dispersed Camping
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:04 AM   #8

Here is my walk-through of the North Rim Campground. I tried to give a sense of the whole place. It is a wonderful campground, but unless you are on a bicycle or hiking, make your reservations early.