Michigan Camping - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-08-2020, 10:40 AM   #1

Name: Lech
Trailer: Trillium
ON
Michigan Camping

I grew up camping in Ontario, but a recent move near Detroit has me wondering what Michigan and the surrounding area has to offer.

Obviously, the Upper Penninsula has some gorgeous spots like Pictured Rocks, Porcupine Mountains and Tahquamenon Falls, but what about the mitten? I am planning a trip out to Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, but anything else I should think about?

Hocking Hills in Ohio looks beautiful but the campsite itself isn't very rustic or secluded. I prefer to be as rustic as possible to really get away from it. Any recommendations?

Lechski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:04 PM   #2

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
In the Thumb, there is a county park on Lake Huron, just south of the town of Harbor Beach. Wagner County Park. Your choice of Full Hookups (away from the lake), Electric/Water sites with view of the lake (a few right on the lake shore), wooded water/electric sites, and a few primitive sites with no hook-ups. In addition, there are a number of nice cabins, some with lake views. Several miles of hiking/biking trails that are well maintained. There is also a dump station available, firewood, picnic pavilion, sandy beach, boat launch, heated restrooms with hot showers. The park is nicely maintained and friendly. I usually go several times each year, just as a relaxing get-away.

While not really rustic, most sites (except the full hook-up sites) are reasonably spacious, a few with tree/brush buffers.

LyleB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:10 PM   #3

Name: Tom
Trailer: Escape 21 and Northern Lite truck camper 2014 2500 HD Duramax
Michigan
There are lots of camping opportunities in MI.

If you want hookups, and don't mind the closeness, any of the state parks are a good bet.

If you don't want modern try the State Forest campgrounds, or some of the National Forest spots.

Just a state highway map has hundreds of options, look for the pinetree symbols
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:27 PM   #4

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
I suggest you check this out US AND CANADA CAMPGROUNDS - FORMAL AND DISPERSED PUBLIC CAMPING LOCATIONS - Website Map
Old 01-08-2020, 01:36 PM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500, 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Literally hundreds of state parks in Michigan's lower peninsula, and some are rustic. We camped at Fisherman's Island State Park (rustic). No floodlights, quiet, mostly tent campers. Similarly, Tahquamenon Falls State Park has a rustic campground that has fairly private sites, many tent campers. The modern campgrounds of Tahquamenon Falls SP were completely full and bustling with activity when we were there. Would definitely have chosen the rustic campground if we had known about it.

Also as you probably know, at Sleeping Bear Dunes NS, you can opt for a campsite without hookups.

Also definitely check out the national forest and state forest campgrounds in the lower peninsula.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:10 PM   #6

ON
Thanks for the tips everyone. I guess the problem is that there are so many spots in Michigan that its hard to sift through them all.

John, I hadn't thought about Fisherman's Island until now so thank you. Sounds like it'll be right up my alley. Close to Petoskey and the Tunnel of Trees too!
Old 01-08-2020, 02:11 PM   #7

ON
This is a fantastic resource. Thank you!
Old 01-09-2020, 12:17 PM   #8

Michigan
Registry
MI campgrounds

Lech, I am also interested in camping in the Lake Michigan Recreation Area within the Huron-Manistee National Forest. It consists of four campground loops. This recreation area is located on Lake Michigan adjacent to Nordhouse Dunes Wilderness Area (has dispersed camping) which is adjacent to Ludington State Park (has modern campgrounds).
Old 01-09-2020, 02:36 PM   #9

ON
John, that's a place I'm interested in as well. You'll need to double back to this post and let us know how it was when you go.

I'm definitely booking a trip to fisherman's island state park though. Those spots they have right on the beach are 👌

I just got my trillium roadworthy late last year so I've only camped in it once at Zilpo Campground in the Daniel Boone National Forest. A stunning part of the country. Highly recommend.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:45 PM   #10

Michigan
Registry
Two summers ago we stayed in the south loop of Fisherman's Island SP. No bathrooms anywhere. Just pit toilets. Long stretch of beach that runs south to the island. We saw two bald eagles flying together along the beach. Very dark at night, and heard great horned owls at 2 am or so.

Only drawback with this SP is heavy shade, no enough sunlight to charge my small AGM battery with the 100 watt solar panel. I'm going to switch to a 100 ah lifepo4 battery to solve this problem.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:47 PM   #11

Michigan
Registry
Lech, I thought you had a Boler 13. When/where did you find the Trillium?
Old 01-09-2020, 03:03 PM   #12

ON
What do you have in your trailer that's drawing all that power? Or are you staying for long periods of time? For the summer I think I might have to install a roof vent with a fan to keep the trailer cool so I'm wondering how much of a power suck that will be.

I happened across this trillium for sale on the side of the road by chance. My wife and I rented one the year before on a road trip through Vancouver island and fell in love with this little camper. Bought it late spring for a song.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:17 PM   #13

Michigan
Registry
Just running LED lights and charging tablets and phones. Problem is the 36 amp hour AGM battery, thus only 18 amp hours capacity. We camped for 5 nights and ran the battery down to 50% after 3 days. Then switched to charging the tablets and phones in the tow vehicle.

Between the Trillium 4500 and the Boler 17, we camp at least 40 nights per year and some of that is dry camping. The Boler 17 has a maxx fan, electric pump, etc. So I figure a 100 amp hour lifepo4 battery would be useful.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:23 PM   #14

ON
I would think 100 amp hour lithium battery would be more than you need. I have a 80 amp hour lead acid that did great for five nights. Any idea how much your fan draws while running? Do you find it makes a big difference?
Old 01-09-2020, 03:49 PM   #15

Michigan
Registry
I think the maxx fan uses 2 to 3 amps. Haven't tried it yet on battery power. For me the other advantage lifepo4 is that its so much lighter. Easy to transfer between the Trillium, the Boler, the tow vehicle, etc. I am considering the LION Energy UT 1300, weighs 23 lbs.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:11 AM   #16

Name: Tom
Trailer: Escape 21 and Northern Lite truck camper 2014 2500 HD Duramax
Michigan
French Farm Lake near Mackinac City is another hidden spot. Sometimes busy in season, sometimes quite tranquil

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/6X...=w1204-h903-no
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:14 AM   #17
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Donít forget there is the Algonac fg rally the weekend after Labor Day only 1 hour drive from Detroit

Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote