Missouri's National Ozark Scenic Riverwayss - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-05-2015, 07:28 AM   #15
Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
I've been to Montauk a few times. Frankly, trout parks are not my thing. For me, fishing is something done in solitude. But I am curious about being a campground host when I retire. How does one go about it? Do you have any say so on where you are hosting? I assume you have free electric and water. Do you get a per diem as well? Are you on call 24/7 or do you have free time to perhaps get away for a day or two here and there? Definitely something I would consider at a state park in Missouri.

Missouri Mark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:40 PM   #16
Name: Imogene
Trailer: 2013 Casita
Mark, the St. Park website has information regarding volunteer opportunities. Application process starts in November, selections made in January. Based on my experience camping in 15 parks and visiting several historic sites, volunteer duties are based on the needs of individual parks. A lot of CG hosts live close to the area, a few come from out of state (very few), most return to the same park, year after year, especially if they enjoy a particular park. At "our" park, we pull tags, put up 2 day vacancy signs on reserved sites (if a vacancy for 2 days), work in the fee booth 2-3 hrs. per day 2 days, check bathrooms for t-paper on final swing thru CG prior to darkness, tidy up camp sites, answer questions, refer guests to fee booth/office for questions beyond our pay grade. We do not clean bathrooms, sell fire wood, close gates, act as emergency personnel or law enforcement. We basically show a presence to our guests. Benefits include free camping for a month with full hook-ups, a voucher for 1 nite free camping in any Mo. state park, 4 days on with 2 days off, on call in case of an emergency where our presence is needed ( evacuation in case of flooding), a free clean out the freezer day pot-luck sponsored by the lodge open to staff/volunteers, and a $38 check for our trip of 80 miles RT between our home and the park.
Each park has individual managers and assistants so it pays to visit several parks to find one you would be comfortable dealing with, talk with the hosts, observe their responsibilities along with the paid staff....some parks have difficulties finding hosts or getting repeats. The important characteristics of a host is liking people, guests, other volunteers, and all park staff. On days off one of us stays at CG while one of us goes home to get mail, check on dogs, wash clothes, the mundane stuff....the other goes shopping in ajoining towns. Solo's are accepted as hosts but it is twice the "work". Imogene.

Imo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 12:31 PM   #17
Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Two years ago, on our way to visit our son at Mizzou, we were able to visit Elephant Rocks and Johnson's Shut-Ins state parks. Very scenic and well worth the time.

Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote