Missouri's Ozark National Scenic Riverways - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2014, 09:33 AM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
Missouri's Ozark National Scenic Riverways

In appreciation for all the advice and knowledge I have learned since discovering Fiberglass RV forum, I will offer my recommendations for anyone who finds themselves passing thru Missouri in the future and looking to camp in scenic surroundings...

Most will travel I 44 or I 70 going west or east, or I 55 heading north or south, passing thru Missouri. Stretching across the entire length of southern Missouri is US Hwy 60, a much improved, nice 4 lane highway, that travels across the Ozark Mountains. There are an abundance of camping opportunities on Missouri's Ozark National Scenic Riverways, which include the Current River, the Jack's Fork River, a the Eleven Point River. Developed campgrounds with electric and water exist at Round Springs, Alley Springs, and Big Springs. Undeveloped campgrounds can be found at the numerous access points to the rivers. Clean spring fed streams that run thru deep valleys is the wilderness you can expect.

Many places you can pull your camper close to the water's edge. Most CG will have vault toilets and running water. But those wanting to get off the beaten path, check with the numerous Department of Conservation offices located along Hwy 60 on where to camp. Lots of beautiful places to camp within 20 miles of the Hwy 60 corridor that will offer great scenery, solitude, fishing, hiking, campfires, and cheap float trips with several canoe rental places that operate year round with some advance notice in the winter months, a phone call will be enough to have someone take care of you.

Thank God that the people of southern Missouri stood up in the '40s and '50s and demanded that these streams would always remain in their pristine conditions. If you haven't experienced the Missouri Ozarks, give yourself a treat and spend a few days camping on one of our streams.

And you will most likely always find yourself within a 20 minute drive to a small town for supplies if needed.

Anyone interested in some ideal spots for boondocking, send me a message.
Missouri Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:53 AM   #2

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
Thanks for the post Mark, it brought back nice paddling memories from the 80's and 90's.

Been down the rivers you mentioned along with the Buffalo and Spring Rivers in Arkansas. Also visited the springs you mentioned.

One fact that has stuck with me was that at one of the springs the estimate was that it took one thousand years for the water to percolate down through the rocks and then resurface at the spring.

It would be a lot of fun to go back there and spend a week camping in Eminence, Missouri and paddle those waters again.

The rivers are mostly drop/pool featuring long lazy stretches then a short rapids, something we don't have up here in Michigan.
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote