MN, William O'Brien & Stillwater - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-02-2014, 11:16 AM   #1

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
MN, William O'Brien & Stillwater

Anyone have comments on William O'Brien State Park? I am thinking of the Riverway vs Savanna campgrounds. any favorite campsites? Would like to do short walks.

Have not visited Stillwater. Do you have favorite places there to eat, special things to see?

thanks for any info.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:19 PM   #2

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
It has been a while since I stayed at William 'Brien. I think you will be happy at either campground. Since this park is so close to the Twin Cities, it tends to fill up. You may not have a choice of Riverway vs Savanna.

As for Stillwater, I have not spent much time there. I do understand that 'downtown' has many cafe's and antique stores.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:05 PM   #3

Thanks Dan.

I failed to say this would be Sunday through Wednesday. I am hoping now that school is in session spots would not be a problem.

Nancy
Old 09-03-2014, 10:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Sunday thru Wednesday in September? I think you are correct in that you should be able to find a campsite.

If you like William O'Brien, you should also enjoy Frontenac State Park down near Red Wing as well.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:35 AM   #5

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Minnesota
Hi Nancy,

I live very close to William O'Brian and hike there often but haven't camped there for many years. I think you'll enjoy the varied hiking trails the park has to offer. It's particularly nice in the autumn when the trees start to change.

As far as campsite selection goes, I have a couple of tools I use to help narrow down sites at unfamiliar locations. One is Google Earth and the other a website called campsitephotos.com. The latter is really nice and although they don't have every campground they do have many and William O'Brian is one of them:

William O Brien State Park Campground - Photos, Information, and Reviews

Stillwater has a lot to offer. Just walk main street, both north and south of the lift bridge, to get a flavor for historic Stillwater. The Freight House is a popular restaurant on the south end of town and for more casual cuisine we like the BC Mongolian BBQ up on top of the hill.

Enjoy your stay.

Randy
Randy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:25 PM   #6

Thanks Dan and Randy. We will be staying there before the Taylor's Falls gathering. Probably in the Riverway campground along with a Texas Casiita. Looking forward to seeing the area.

Hope you guys are thinking about coming to Wildwood Starting Sept. 17.

Nancy