Montreal, Quebec and a dog - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-26-2016, 09:55 PM   #1
Name: Bruce & Kathryn
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
North Carolina
Montreal, Quebec and a dog

We are planning a trip in late May, early June, to visit family in Trois Riviers and Montreal, traveling from NC in our Ollie. Would like to take our 8 year old pug "puppy" Oscar, but it looks like most Canadian National Parks prohibit dogs. With our pup we'd make this a 4-6 week trip, without it will be around 2 weeks max. Any advice welcome. Thanks.

Bruce Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 06:19 AM   #2
Name: Carl
Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Hi Bruce
First thing you need to know is in Quebec you have the National Parks like everywhere in Canada (managed by the federal government), and then you have the Quebec National Parks. These used to be the Quebec Provincial Parks (like every other province has it's provincial parks) but have been renamed "National" parks, for political reasons... These National ex-provincial parks are managed by the provincial government, via a government-owned organisation named SEPAQ (Societé des Établissements de Plein-Air du Québec).
So everybody is confused because both the federal and provincial parks in Quebec are called "National Parks". In all other provinces, provincial parks are called just that.

So here you have the National Parks of Canada: Parks Canada - Home
You will see that there aren't too many of these parks in QB, the one just north of Trois-Rivière is Mauricie NP. It's a beautiful park, and if you like camping in parks you will love it.

Here you have the National Parks of Quebec: Sépaq - Société des établissements de plein air du Québec
They are very nice parks as well, on par with the federal ones.

Now the dogs. You will find the pet policies on their respective website.
Generally, the federal parks allow dogs in campgrounds, but not on hiking trails, beaches, etc.
In Quebec parks (provincial), traditionally dogs have never been allowed anywhere, but this is about to change, as next summer dogs will now allowed in a couple specific parks on a trial basis. Check their website for details.

Be aware that it can be difficult to get a site during weekends, so make reservations early. Also, don't forget your bug repellent. Early in the summer is the worst time for the mosquitoes and black flies, they can be extremely aggressive and ruin your stay.

I allow myself to make a couple suggestions. There is a very nice little regional park just east of Trois-Rivière that's a little jewel, the Batiscan River Park:
Parc de la rivière Batiscan - Parc Régional et Via Ferrata

You mentioned Montreal and Trois-Rivieres, I don't know if you have ever been to Quebec City. If not, you absolutely have to visit Quebec City. It's nothing like Montreal. Québec City and Area : Official Web Site - Québec City Tourism
I can suggest a couple nice campgrounds near QB City if you like.
Also, if you're looking at a campground elsewhere and not sure if it's a good choice or not, send me a message and I'll give you my opinion on it. Most private campgrounds allow pets.

You're from NC, we've been to the OBX a few times (Natl Sea Shore campgrounds) we enjoyed it a lot.

Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:56 AM   #3
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Here is a CBC news story regarding dogs being allowed inside of 3 Quebec Provincial Parks starting in May of this year. CBC -Montreal - Dogs to be allowed in 3 Quebec Provincial Parks starting this Spring.

Its a test project so folks need to be very respectful of the rules so it is allowed to continue. The three parks involved in the test are: Frontenac, Jacques-Cartier and Oka provincial parks
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 02:56 PM   #4
Name: Kathleen (Kai in Seattle)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973

Best to you all, especially Oscar,
From the pug girls, Cinder(ella) and Nimble.

May you have an excellent voyage!

Attached Images
Semper ubi sub ubi.
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 03:30 PM   #5
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
For $57, you could have your dog declared an emotional support animal.
First ask if Quebec would honor the American rules.
Downside is claiming a form of insanity.

It is so easy that I considered going to the Everglades while we were in Florida and capturing a bunch of Burmese pythons and selling them as EMAs for people who need lots of hugs.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 03:46 PM   #6
Name: Bruce & Kathryn
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
North Carolina
Thanks all. Carl, that is great information, and we will most likely have some more questions. I guess our decision is to go before or after the worst of the bug season, so perhaps late May/early June is not the best time. Batiscan River Park looks beautiful. We are new to travel trailers, but looking forward to many trips with Oscar in our Ollie.
Bruce and Kathryn
Bruce Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:51 AM   #7
Name: Kathleen (Kai in Seattle)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973
The ADA rules are VERY interesting and are worth looking up on the internet. Emotional Support Animals are often NOT given the same privileges (and they are just that, YOU have rights, the animal doesn't) as actual service animals--but "sugar dogs" and "seizure dogs" ARE allowed pretty much anywhere a seeing-eye dog is...both of my dogs act as "sugar dogs," but haven't been certified. Still, I have vests for them that state, "Please ask to pet me. Service Dog in Training."
Technically (legally) NO ONE can ask you exactly what service your dogs provide. Though if your dog kicks up a fuss or makes a mess, it can certainly be asked / demanded to leave the premises. And I do have a "disabled" certificate for myself and our car has disabled plates as well...and if a police officer were to ask me, I would certainly do my best to comply.

Most people never ask.

That's in the USA, of course. Have no idea about Canada's rules.

But look it up if you think it would be helpful.

Those who stretch the rules too far risk losing privileges for all.

(So far, I've only used those vests a few times...because I don't need the girls to tell me when my sugars are too low, though they do a good job, leaping up on me and carrying on...because whenever
my blood sugar dips past a certain point and I need to eat a little something, I have always given them a treat, too, and they learned I smell different when I'm less sweet, I guess).

Semper ubi sub ubi.
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote