Monument Rocks, Kansas - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2009, 05:52 PM   #1

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm41/to...=scan001001.jpg

On our way from Dallas to the Black Hills of South Dakota, I wanted to see the Monument Rocks in western Kansas. The literature said it was on private property about 7 miles east of US 83 near the Smokey Hill River bridge. The road was not paved. I hadn't counted on yesterday's rain. Once committed to the narrow, muddy ranch road there was no turning back. I kept the speed up so we wouldn't get stuck; but. the DW was not to happy with with power slide through a 90 degree turn. We made it. The location was very pretty and I'm glad we saw it. However, we then spent an hour and many quarters at a car wash in Oakley, KS trying to clean the car and trailer.

Tom Trostel
Old 07-14-2009, 10:14 AM   #2

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe

We went there a couple of years ago. We camped at Scott Lake (?) SP - it was a really nice pleasant evening, but the black flies drove us into the Casita for dinner. Left the Casita at the campground to go see the rocks, and it was warm and dry - Don't think we would've tried it the way you did! The state park has some Pueblo ruins - furthest east known. We thought that was interesting, too.

Katy
Thomas M is offline   Reply With Quote