Mosquito invasion on Jekyll Island - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-08-2016, 12:34 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Mosquito invasion on Jekyll Island

This past weekend we stayed at the Jekyll Island campground for our 2nd annual Labor Day camping trip coming in a day late so Hemaine wouldn't be an issue and staying a day later. The campground staff was very accommodating to our change and the weather was great but the mosquitoes were the worst I have ever experienced in my lifetime making it a challenge to enjoy the campground. My wife sells Avon skin so soft bug repellent and that did not keep them away nor did the citronella candles or . mosquitoes sticks the campground sells. The only relief came from retreating indoors or to the windy beach area. A box fan at the campsite helped a little but they still got to us! We had bites all over so we are determined to find a way to keep them away before our next trip even if it means going a different time of year.

Sent from my XT1032 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 09-08-2016, 12:47 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We have been going to Jekyll for over 20 years, during April school vacation. Now for the last 6 years since retiring we have spent most of the winter in the Jekyll campground. I think much of the problem is there are so many trees and surrounding overgrown areas it can be quite buggy. Because of that situation, plus equipment damage we got from falling tree branches we have cut our stay for this coming winter to one month. Love the island, but have found much better campgrounds elsewhere.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:37 PM   #3

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
One thing they do know through scientific studies is that skeeters are attracted to lactic acid which is a component of sweat. So if you are sweaty you will be that much more of a target. I guess that means a shower and clean clothes before dinner
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 04:22 PM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Don't Understand Mosquitos

We live in central FL where the weather is similar to summer in coastal NH where we have mosquitos even though our town sprays weekly. However we're often in FL from Nov to April and rarely see a mosquito. I've never figured out why this is the case. Our campground has a rather marshy pond on it as well. Last year I and friends put up 700 feet of fence and had absolutely no trouble with mosquitoes.

As to repeling mosquitos, we use Deet, a repellent with an amazing track trcord.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:05 PM   #5

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
How often did you see mosquitos in NH from Nov to April? Winter is winter, even in FL.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:52 PM   #6

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
How often did you see mosquitos in NH from Nov to April? Winter is winter, even in FL.
Are you suggestting it's light duration that trigger's their presence and not temperature?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:04 PM   #7

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
I don't know, I'm not a biologist. But official mosquito season in FL is from February to November, the other months are dormant period. Filled by snowbirds :-)
Old 09-09-2016, 12:41 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Trailer: Winnebago
We stayed at Fort Custer Michigan State Park last night and the mosquitoes were the worst I have ever seen. They are definitely attracted to heat. The minute we backed into the site they swarmed the truck - HUNDREDS OF THEM. Luckily we were able to get the Clam up before they ate us alive. With all of the best repellents we had it was still so bad we beat a hasty retreat first thing this morning. Sure hope the Zeka virus doesn't spread north or it will sure put a damper on outdoor activities at places like we are reporting.
Larry,C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:46 PM   #9

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
These really work!
https://www.thermacell.com/?gclid=CL...Fddahgod9WAIbA
Old 09-09-2016, 01:52 PM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Yeah someone mentioned that to my wife on Facebook Full time RV group we may get one, thanks

Old 09-09-2016, 02:43 PM   #11

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny M View Post
This past weekend we stayed at the Jekyll Island campground for our 2nd annual Labor Day camping trip coming in a day late so Hemaine wouldn't be an issue and staying a day later. The campground staff was very accommodating to our change and the weather was great but the mosquitoes were the worst I have ever experienced in my lifetime making it a challenge to enjoy the campground. My wife sells Avon skin so soft bug repellent and that did not keep them away nor did the citronella candles or . mosquitoes sticks the campground sells. The only relief came from retreating indoors or to the windy beach area. A box fan at the campsite helped a little but they still got to us! We had bites all over so we are determined to find a way to keep them away before our next trip even if it means going a different time of year.

Hi: Johnny M... You could try this. My bro-n-law swears by it at their trailer.Mosquito Barrier Spray – Natural Insect Repellent for Yards & Grassy Areas
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 04:58 PM   #12
Commercial Member

These are just 2 of the defensive weapons I used against the mosquitos in Michigan Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1473461732.652415.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	99549
The repellents containing 20% Picaridin are suppose to be more effective than Deet and last longer

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-09-2016, 04:59 PM   #13
Commercial Member

The mosquitos won.

Old 09-09-2016, 05:03 PM   #14
Commercial Member

And we were cooking garlic chicken in the crockpot with the fantastic fan on exhaust

Old 09-09-2016, 08:00 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17 ft
Registry
From multi day backpacking, I've learned to stay away from deet based repellants - once you use it where showers aren't possible everything you eat tastes like deet the rest of the trip. The solution I found was to treat a set of long sleeved/legged clothes and our shelter with permethrin spray before a trip. We found that once we set up the bugs left the area.
After a particularly buggy trip to Cape Disappointment SP, I treated our under awning bug net with permethrin with similar results
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote