Mount Pisgah NC Blue Ridge Parkway - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-03-2019, 11:43 AM   #29

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperBill View Post
The campground does not have water and electricity at the campsites, but they have restrooms with hot showers.

Half of the campsites cannot be reserved, but if you see one open that you like it better than yours, talk to the ranger to see if you can trade sites.

There's sights to see in the area. Skinny Dip Falls, Looking Glass Falls, Moore Cove Falls, and Devil's Courthouse.

The Blue Ridge Parkway is always a beautiful drive heading to Cherokee or Asheville NC. For grocery shopping and gas we head SE on Rt. 276 to a Walmart and BiLo in Brevard NC.

There's Mt. Pisgah restaurant on the other side of the BRP. It's pricey, but has a nice view. We occasionally go there for breakfast.

Hope y'all have a fine time!

We live in the Cashiers area. We love the Blue Ridge Parkway RP. We did the whole length plus the Skyline Drive last year. I had never thought of camping at Pisgah. The problem we have is in the summer is the area we live in is cooler than just about anywhere in the east. We usually go to Fla, Ga Ala in the spring and west in the fall. It is nice to have somewhere cool in the summer that is fairly close. Pisgah will be ideal for late June.

charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:07 PM   #30

Name: Bill
Trailer: Oliver
South East US
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
We live in the Cashiers area. We love the Blue Ridge Parkway RP. We did the whole length plus the Skyline Drive last year. I had never thought of camping at Pisgah. The problem we have is in the summer is the area we live in is cooler than just about anywhere in the east. We usually go to Fla, Ga Ala in the spring and west in the fall. It is nice to have somewhere cool in the summer that is fairly close. Pisgah will be ideal for late June.
We plan to camp at Linville Falls and Crabtree federal campgrounds (both on the BRP), that are lower elevation than Mt. Pisgah and should be OK before it gets too hot this summer. Crabtree campground does not seem to get as many campers as Mt. Pisgah and Linville Falls, but Crabtree is close to Roaring Fork Falls, Crabtree Falls & Mt. Mitchell.

There's a NC State Park on Mt. Mitchell, but they only accommodate tent camping. Beautiful tent sites, too.

We normally camp at Mount Pisgah in July and August (70s highs) when it's 90s in the lower elevations. This year it was very warm late May (as you know) when we headed to Mount Pisgah. We were on site #33 (non-reservation site) got there before Memorial Day and stayed several nights.

Old 06-03-2019, 01:52 PM   #31

Name: Al
Trailer: 19D Front bath Scamp
North Carolina
There are also some nice USFS camping spots in western NC. Horse Cove in Nantahala NF is a favorite if we can get one of our preferred sites (which usually isn't too difficult). There are also a number of good dispersed sites along Santeelah Creek off FS81 in that area. Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest is nearby and has some great day hikes.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 02:09 PM   #32

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Elevation is your friend on the BRP in the summer. And the southern end has the highest elevation. Plenty of private campgrounds in Maggie Valley just off the Parkway.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:10 PM   #33

South East US
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Cindy K View Post
There are also some nice USFS camping spots in western NC. Horse Cove in Nantahala NF is a favorite if we can get one of our preferred sites (which usually isn't too difficult). There are also a number of good dispersed sites along Santeelah Creek off FS81 in that area. Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest is nearby and has some great day hikes.

Al and Cindy,

We have not camped at those campgrounds in Western NC, yet. Will check them out, this summer. Thanks!

Eastern TN is another area we have not camped much. Camped at Tellico Plains TN during the eclipse and had a fine time.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:16 PM   #34

South East US
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Elevation is your friend on the BRP in the summer. And the southern end has the highest elevation. Plenty of private campgrounds in Maggie Valley just off the Parkway.
Bill,

Yep, we like cool weather in the summer. Trailered a motorcycle to Maggie Valley and stayed a few nights, but have not camped there yet.

Checked out your Facebook page. Your Escape and Trillium are nice looking campers.

Good looking restoration project on the Trillium!
Old 06-05-2019, 11:37 AM   #35

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
They do not forward the pass to Canadians we pay full rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperBill View Post
Stude,

Found this information about the Senior's Pass:

Who qualifies for the Senior pass:

"U.S. citizens or permanent residents who are 62 years or older".

https://store.usgs.gov/senior-pass

Hope you can visit here in the US.

Edit: Tom and Bill posted great information about the annual pass in following posts!!!!!!!
: But I think it is only $80 for the year which is not all that bad. I think were still at $25 up here But I think I will write a letter to tell them it is time to raise the fees to say $75.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:55 AM   #36

British Columbia
Quote:
: If your coming down from Canada where do you start on the BRP and someone said it was 469 miles long so where does it end plus where are the $30 campsites located because for every US dollar it costs us $1.35.
Stude
Old 06-05-2019, 12:05 PM   #37

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
The Parkway starts at Rockfish Gap in Virginia and ends at Cherokee, NC. If I were coming from Canada and had time, I would get on Skyline Drive at Front Royal and follow it to the BRP. I can’t help you with the campsites. We just find one nearby when we travel.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:04 PM   #38

British Columbia
Quote:
The Parkway starts at Rockfish Gap in Virginia and ends at Cherokee, NC. If I were coming from Canada and had time, I would get on Skyline Drive at Front Royal and follow it to the BRP. I can’t help you with the campsites. We just find one nearby when we travel.
Thank you
CharlSara
Stude
Old 06-05-2019, 04:01 PM   #39

South East US
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
: But I think it is only $80 for the year which is not all that bad. I think were still at $25 up here But I think I will write a letter to tell them it is time to raise the fees to say $75.
Stude

Stude,

The $25 fee is a great deal!!! We will be camping in Canada and visiting some of your beautiful parks.

The Lifetime Senior Pass in the US increased from $10 to $80 during 2017. At $80 it's a fine deal! We also like camping at Army Corps of Engineers campgrounds that are 1/2 price with the Senior Pass.