Mount Pisgah NC Blue Ridge Parkway - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2019, 03:54 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: Oliver
North Carolina
Mount Pisgah NC Blue Ridge Parkway

We just returned from Mount Pisgah Campground NC on the Blue Ridge Parkway. High temps on Mount Pisgah were 70s at close to 5000' when high temps back home were in the 90s. Campground does not have water or electricity at campsites, but they have nice restrooms with showers. Used a Renogy 100W suitcase solar panel and it works great!

Looking Glass Water Falls, Moores Cove Water Falls (both on Rt.276), view from top of Devil's Courthouse on BRP, and Sunset from BRP!

We can't wait to go back!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3325.JPG   IMG_3324.JPG  

IMG_4708.JPG   IMG_4704.JPG  

IMG_4707.JPG  
Old 05-26-2019, 05:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Thanks for posting and awesome photos. We try to camp at Mount Pisgah a couple of times each year and think it’s a great base for exploring that area.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 06:07 PM   #3

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Cindy K View Post
Thanks for posting and awesome photos. We try to camp at Mount Pisgah a couple of times each year and think it’s a great base for exploring that area.

Thanks!

Agree, Mt. Pisgah is a "great" base for exploring! Planning to camp at Crabtree Falls & Linville Falls campgrounds on the BRP this year, too. We really like the BRP!
Old 05-27-2019, 06:47 AM   #4

Name: Tom
Trailer: Escape 21 and Northern Lite truck camper 2014 2500 HD Duramax
Michigan
If you hang around the Linville falls area there are miles of exploration to do in the Linville Gorge, Table Rock and surrounding areas.
And don't miss Louise's Famous Rockhouse restaurant
https://www.facebook.com/louisesrockhouse/
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:41 AM   #5

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TZBrown View Post
If you hang around the Linville falls area there are miles of exploration to do in the Linville Gorge, Table Rock and surrounding areas.
And don't miss Louise's Famous Rockhouse restaurant
https://www.facebook.com/louisesrockhouse/
Tom,

We love to visit Linville Falls area camping and hiking! As you know, plenty of fine places to eat, too!
Old 05-27-2019, 07:50 AM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
We live about 24 miles from there. Mt Pisgah CG is a fantastic deal, particularly if you have the senior pass. With the pass, its either $11 or $12 a night.

Lots of exploring from that point, both the parkway and nearby communities. I live in Waynesville, great small town. Then you have Asheville with all the amenities and attractions too.

Really thinking about a suitcase solar panel. Portability is a big plus when you have more than one trailer.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:08 AM   #7

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
We live about 24 miles from there. Mt Pisgah CG is a fantastic deal, particularly if you have the senior pass. With the pass, its either $11 or $12 a night.

Lots of exploring from that point, both the parkway and nearby communities. I live in Waynesville, great small town. Then you have Asheville with all the amenities and attractions too.

Really thinking about a suitcase solar panel. Portability is a big plus when you have more than one trailer.
Bill,

We have the Senior's Pass, it was $10 per night at Mt. Pisgah! You live in a beautiful area, we spend plenty of time there in the summer!

We started using the 100W Portable Solar suitcase and really like it!
Old 05-27-2019, 10:16 AM   #8

Name: Art
Trailer: Casita
Pennsylvania
What did the solar suitcase allow you to do? Did it keep the battery (which kind) fully charged? Were you able to use the water pump, heater, frig all on propane and battery all the time or did you have to use things sparingly?

Reason I am asking is I have my SD set up for a 100 Watt Renogy but haven't had the opportunity to use it yet. This June I plan on boondocking for five days and was wondering if using the water pump for showering might drain my battery too much. I have the option of a gravity feed shower that I built and am planning on using that for personal use and only using my outside shower and heater for washing dishes. I was hoping by only using the water heater when I need it and the water pump sparingly, I could last the five days without discharging my battery to a bad level. My understanding is that a solar suitcase can't be left out in the rain. I'd also be disconnecting the the thing when I wasn't around in an attempt to keep it from walking away on it's own, although where I am going should be pretty safe from theft.
ae6black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 11:16 AM   #9

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ae6black View Post
What did the solar suitcase allow you to do? Did it keep the battery (which kind) fully charged? Were you able to use the water pump, heater, frig all on propane and battery all the time or did you have to use things sparingly?

Reason I am asking is I have my SD set up for a 100 Watt Renogy but haven't had the opportunity to use it yet. This June I plan on boondocking for five days and was wondering if using the water pump for showering might drain my battery too much. I have the option of a gravity feed shower that I built and am planning on using that for personal use and only using my outside shower and heater for washing dishes. I was hoping by only using the water heater when I need it and the water pump sparingly, I could last the five days without discharging my battery to a bad level. My understanding is that a solar suitcase can't be left out in the rain. I'd also be disconnecting the the thing when I wasn't around in an attempt to keep it from walking away on it's own, although where I am going should be pretty safe from theft.

Art,

I know there's more competent electrical folks here than me, but this is how we use our systems.

Ollie has two DuraCell group 27-12V Marine/RV AGM batteries (from Sam's Club).

https://www.driveduracell.com/pub/me...siwyg/2152.pdf

Have an onboard voltage meter and I don't let it get below 12V. We use LP gas to run the refrigerator and cook/make coffee. Only got down to 50s one night and 60s other nights, so did not need heat. We have a furnace that uses LP gas that operates on 12V batteries, if needed. We also used campground showers at Mt. Pisgah. Ollie has a LP gas/110V 6 gallon hot water heater.

At another campground on the BRP without showers & without campsite electrical/water connections, we use LP gas to cook, run the refrigerator, and heat water when we take Navy showers. Use 12V for water pump, lights, roof fan (one hour), TV/DVD player (couple hours), and FM stereo. When Solar panel is in the sun most of the day it charges batteries enough for one night. We normally are out exploring during the day not using camper systems. When it's cloudy or we're on a shady site, we also have a 2000W gen-set to assist charging batteries. The Honda gen-set will run the 13.5K AC with an easy start system when no other electrical appliance is being used in eastern US, have not tried AC with gen-set at higher altitudes in western US.

As far as washing dishes we use paper plates and clean hands with Member's Mark Disinfecting Wipes (Sam's Club again), even if connected to water.

To secure the Solar Panel when we're out exploring, use a bicycle cable locked to Ollie.

Hope this helps!
Old 05-27-2019, 11:41 AM   #10

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperBill View Post
Tom,

We love to visit Linville Falls area camping and hiking! As you know, plenty of fine places to eat, too!
Nice picture. We normally Boondock along old 105 S of Wiseman's View for 10 day stretches 2x per year. We have a sort of hiking / scrambling group.

If you have noted the photos on the wall at Louise's we are in a couple of them

Here is a pic from spring 2017 from an off trail scramble on the west side of the gorge, the Upper North Carolina wall and the rock left of center is called The Sphinx. been on top of that one a few times

IMG_20170526_152935397 by tzbrown02, on Flickr
Old 05-27-2019, 11:51 AM   #11

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TZBrown View Post
Nice picture. We normally Boondock along old 105 S of Wiseman's View for 10 day stretches 2x per year. We have a sort of hiking / scrambling group.

If you have noted the photos on the wall at Louise's we are in a couple of them

Here is a pic from spring 2017 from an off trail scramble on the west side of the gorge, the Upper North Carolina wall and the rock left of center is called The Sphinx. been on top of that one a few times
Tom,

Beautiful Shot! Old NC 105, Great Place!!!!!

Posted a photo of Linville Gorge at Wiseman's View, but deleted it thinking SmugMug supported photos may not be allowed.

Here's Shortoff Mountain south end of Linville Gorge while riding a Honda CRF:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0162.jpg  
Old 05-27-2019, 04:55 PM   #12

Name: dave
Trailer: no longer looking at Parkliner,04 Honda Odyssey
Pennsylvania
We camped at that beautiful place when I was a kid. I still love the Blue Ridge Parkway especially Mabry Mill. I use a 120W suitcase and it works great. I had the Fantastic Fan on high this sunny afternoon for 4 hours and the battery read well above 13.3 all day.
flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:34 PM   #13

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaco View Post
We camped at that beautiful place when I was a kid. I still love the Blue Ridge Parkway especially Mabry Mill. I use a 120W suitcase and it works great. I had the Fantastic Fan on high this sunny afternoon for 4 hours and the battery read well above 13.3 all day.

Dave,

Sounds like your suitcase is working great.

Mabry Mill on the BRP
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1850.jpg  
Old 05-28-2019, 08:12 PM   #14

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post

:big problem I'm 74 almost 75 and I', a Canadian so how do I get onto the Pass where I can pay $11 or $12 a night, $11 would cost me $14.30 to get $11 US bucks, $12 Would cost me $$14.60. We have to pay 0.30 cents for each dollar. Boondocking is the only way for us to save a few dollars when not paying for Campgrounds but if we could get a spot for that upper price then no problem, plus we save money on gas in the US as we are paying upwards of $1.70.9L.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:15 PM   #15

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperBill View Post
Dave,

Sounds like your suitcase is working great.

Mabry Mill on the BRP
:We have a place that looks just like that in Keromeos, BC plus it is a working mill and bakery.
So in case your in the area stop in, there are signs all around or just ask someone, basically canadians are quite friendly.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:00 PM   #16

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
:big problem I'm 74 almost 75 and I', a Canadian so how do I get onto the Pass where I can pay $11 or $12 a night, $11 would cost me $14.30 to get $11 US bucks, $12 Would cost me $$14.60. We have to pay 0.30 cents for each dollar. Boondocking is the only way for us to save a few dollars when not paying for Campgrounds but if we could get a spot for that upper price then no problem, plus we save money on gas in the US as we are paying upwards of $1.70.9L.
Stude

Stude,

Found this information about the Senior's Pass:

Who qualifies for the Senior pass:

"U.S. citizens or permanent residents who are 62 years or older".

https://store.usgs.gov/senior-pass

Hope you can visit here in the US.

Edit: Tom and Bill posted great information about the annual pass in following posts!!!!!!!
Old 05-28-2019, 09:04 PM   #17

North Carolina
Quote:
:We have a place that looks just like that in Keromeos, BC plus it is a working mill and bakery.
So in case your in the area stop in, there are signs all around or just ask someone, basically canadians are quite friendly.
Stude

Stude,

When we camped at Glacier National Park MT, also visited Waterton Lakes National Park in Canada, beautiful area and very nice folks. Looking forward to our next Canadian visit!
Old 05-29-2019, 06:17 AM   #18

Name: dave
Trailer: no longer looking at Parkliner,04 Honda Odyssey
Pennsylvania
Beautiful photo of Mabry Mill, Camper Bill!
flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:27 AM   #19

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaco View Post
Beautiful photo of Mabry Mill, Camper Bill!

Dave, Thanks!

We were camping at Bandit's Roost, Wilkesboro NC Army Corp of Engineers campground, went for a drive on the BRP and took that photo of Mabry Mill.

We have not camped at all of the Federal campgrounds on the BRP, yet. Need to talk to Debbie about that idea.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:49 AM   #20

Michigan
Quote:
Stude
Stude

You can still get the National Parks Annual Pass
The price is the same $80.00 USD

https://store.usgs.gov/pass

If you do a US trip I would recommend it, even at that price, as entry into multiple Nat parks will eat that up in about 4 parks

It allows half price camping at sites, as well as FREE entry into any National park. Caveat, if the park has a seperate fee for electric it will not be reduced

Before I was eligible for the senior pass I had for 3 years bought the annual
and still made $ just on the Nat park fees