My kind of camping. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-04-2006, 11:29 AM   #15

Trailer: 1985 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
If you have to make your own fire ring and can't here any other campers, that is my kind of camping.
John
Of course there are people like my wife and I. Backpacking only with very little equipment, then car camping with a tent, and now a trailer. We haven't worked up to the campground idea, but I suspect it's coming. My wife has been mentioning how nice it would be to have a shower in the scamp instead of outside...

Old 10-04-2006, 11:42 AM   #16

Trailer: 1968 Venture (Molded Fiberglass 19 ft Class A Motorhome) and 82 TranStar B+
Send a message via AIM to Penny Taylor Send a message via Yahoo to Penny Taylor
Quote:
My wife has been mentioning how nice it would be to have a shower in the scamp instead of outside...
Can't you rig up some temporary shower curtains, a big, deep plastic storage bin for a shower pan, and a battery pump to pump shower water, that has been heated up on the stove, inside ? Others have found out ways to do that. Do a search in "Mods" right here in FGRV. It's not too complicated.

Old 10-04-2006, 04:03 PM   #17

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Quote:
Of course there are people like my wife and I. Backpacking only with very little equipment, then car camping with a tent, and now a trailer. We haven't worked up to the campground idea, but I suspect it's coming. My wife has been mentioning how nice it would be to have a shower in the scamp instead of outside...
That's me. I started out strictly backpacking (I still go backpacking), then moved to tent camping, then after the bear raided our camp at Standing Indian at midnight, we decided we needed a Casita.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:30 PM   #18

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
That's me. I started out strictly backpacking (I still go backpacking), then moved to tent camping, then after the bear raided our camp at Standing Indian at midnight, we decided we needed a Casita.

I guess that I'm a little backwards here. Started out car camping with tent and stuff. Amount of stuff expanded untill I needed a trailer and a van to haul it all. Then discovered backpacking. Got rid of most of the stuff I was hauling around to the point that no matter where we camped the backpacks were what was packed. We camped out of the backpacks even when we were camped right beside the car.

Even the backpacking started to grow stuff. Gradually went to a 60+ pound pack. Managed to get it down to about 45 pounds now including food. Now we can keep backpacking as part of our outdoor life.

The main reason for getting the trailer is some of the camping events we were going to. When you're backpacking you can get up and out of the tent then get dressed. When camped with a group, not a real good idea. Wouldn't want to scare the neighbors too badly.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:37 PM   #19

Name: John
Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
California
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
. My wife has been mentioning how nice it would be to have a shower in the scamp instead of outside...
After 2 trips in my 14' Burro I am missing my water heater and my shower.
I keep reminding myself that I do not miss the 8 mpg to get my trailer to the camping spot.
John
Old 10-05-2006, 03:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Can't you rig up some temporary shower curtains, a big, deep plastic storage bin for a shower pan, and a battery pump to pump shower water, that has been heated up on the stove, inside ? Others have found out ways to do that. Do a search in "Mods" right here in FGRV. It's not too complicated.
I have looked at shower mods and even considered buying the equipment from scamp to intall a shower. However the best idea for me will be to buy a f/g with the shower already installed and sell my scamp. I'm sure the right trailer will come along and selling a 16' scamp in sourthern california should be somewhat easy because of a fairly decent demand.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:42 PM   #21

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Fiberglass trailers are apparently quite easy to sell. I know we had a long search before we were able to land one. Twice we had viewings cancelled because other buyers would phone the seller and purchase the fiberglass trailer sight unseen.

I've never sold a fiberglass trailer, and can't see us ever doing so, unless it was to upgrade, and since our Casita is pretty much loaded...well, I reckon we'll be keeping this trailer for a very, very, very long time.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:01 AM   #22

Quote:
Fiberglass trailers are apparently quite easy to sell. I know we had a long search before we were able to land one. Twice we had viewings cancelled because other buyers would phone the seller and purchase the fiberglass trailer sight unseen.

I've never sold a fiberglass trailer, and can't see us ever doing so, unless it was to upgrade, and since our Casita is pretty much loaded...well, I reckon we'll be keeping this trailer for a very, very, very long time.
Hi Bob,
I might be one of those guys. I bought the scamp with just a quick look at some e-mail pictures and then the next morning drove to Sacramento, jury rigged the wiring, and then drove back. It's about a 10-11 hour round trip. There just were not any trailers available in Ventura or Santa Barbara counties so I moved fast. Of course it worked out fine for the last three years. I'm sure a great trailer will come along and we are not really in any rush. I might have to drive to texas, the supply of trailers are better there..
Old 10-07-2006, 02:29 PM   #23

Trailer: Outfitter Caribou 6.5 ft Truck Camper
We just got back from Colorado and not only were dispersed camping areas like in the Kaibab National Forest, Arizonia fairly empty---- there were a few campers, but none closer than a couple of miles.

Click image for larger version

Name:	7._Kaibab_NF4__Custom_.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	5093

Some organized campgrounds like this one near Fairplay, Colorado, we completely empty---had it all to ourselves. Heater, definitely required.

Click image for larger version

Name:	92._Horseshoe_CG_Fairplay1__Custom_.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	5094

Miss the backpacking days, so finding solitude is wonderful.

Thanks for the tip on Little Sandy

Diane
Old 10-08-2006, 11:54 PM   #24

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
is your dog wearing a sweater???

You had better send him to me to get his dignity back..